Micro 4/3 Got my E-P3 today!

I had a quick play yesterday and it looks and feels almost exactly like the E-P2 but the subtle changes and the way it works with it's super fast AF and great rear screen makes it a whole lot better. I think this camera will sell very well. It's one of the nicest compacts out there.

Still in messing around mode as there aint too much daylight outside of work hours. So here's photo to show just how small these Micro 4/3 lenses are:

P8030123s.jpg

Still in shock over how small the M43 lenses are!

Jono, I think that 12mm lens is going to be right up your alley for landscapes. SLR Gear has this to say about sharpness: "Wide open at ƒ/2, there's just a hint of corner softness, and stopping down to ƒ/2.8 reduces that almost completely. Tack-sharp results are available from ƒ/4 all the way to ƒ/11, where diffraction limiting begins to set in."

Well - I did have a bit of fun . . . . but :crying: I think it's going to have to go back.

It all works fab - and the touch focus/shoot is excellent . . . . but when I connect the VF2, it all works for a few seconds, then the dials and buttons on the back don't work any more - switching back to the LCD with the button - same problem - disconnect the VF2 and it's all back to normal.

The VF2 works fine with the E-pl2 and the XZ-1
Anybody got any ideas about this?

I think it is as well

Of course, I always check new wides with a brick wall test at different apertures. This one isn't terribly serious, but it's at f2

_8030093.jpg

there's certainly nothing wrong with the corners (slightly too much contrast - it's a jpg)
:clapping:

Well - I did have a bit of fun . . . . but :crying: I think it's going to have to go back.

It all works fab - and the touch focus/shoot is excellent . . . . but when I connect the VF2, it all works for a few seconds, then the dials and buttons on the back don't work any more - switching back to the LCD with the button - same problem - disconnect the VF2 and it's all back to normal.

The VF2 works fine with the E-pl2 and the XZ-1
Anybody got any ideas about this?

It's a spot of poor programming on Oly's part. See E-P3 becomes unresponsive with VF-2? - Micro Four Thirds User Forum

You can work around it if you like.

That's a fine lens you have there. Detail and colours are really nice and it's very even across the frame. I had a play with one in our shop and the images have come out really nice.

I'll keep an eye on this thread to see if anyone else has had the same problem as you. Hopefully it will be a simple firmware update issue.

Andy -- it simply has to do with the touch screen. If you put on the VF2, and your nose touches the screen, then the camera goes into touch screen mode. You have to manually toggle the touch screen to off (it's a simple toggle, right on the touch screen itself). It's actually not much of an issue, but it's disconcerting if you don't know what's going on, and using the VF2 as the primary should auto-disable the touch screen anyway (or they should add a proximity sensor on the VFs).

It's a small bug, but scares you a bit. Also, if you hold the camera such that your thumb might be touching the LCD without you realizing it, then you get the same behavior.

So, that's the trade off -- GREAT touch screen. FANTASTIC for very quick shots with off-center focusing. But you do have to be aware of the touch aspect of the screen.

Very important info, thanks so much Jono for bringing it up before you sent that E-P3 back - and wt21, we are continually indebted to your links and news/rumors, as well!:th_salute:

There's a button on the VF2 I believe (this is based on what I've read, as I've not got a VF2, but the link I gave above is to actual users and explains it in some detail). A proximity sensor would be better!

And some more P3 shots - pity you have to downsize for the albums

A rose bud - ORF processed in Irfanview and #2 unsharp mask ( first time using it, hopefully not overdone)
P8040136mod.jpg

And a dramatic tone portrait of my cheeky daughter ... :)

P8030104mod.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Back