Sony Got my new NEX-5N

Amin

Hall of Famer
I went to Best Buy hoping to find an NEX-3 on clearance and walked out substantially poorer with a new NEX-5N (silver).

I haven't had any time to use it yet, but here are some really quick first impressions:
  • It looks and feels just like an NEX-5
  • Shutter sound is nicer, more compact (shorter, neater) than the NEX-5.
  • Touch AF only works in continuous subject tracking mode
  • AF (including touch AF) in low light is a good bit slower than E-P3 (which is slower than GH2 in low light)
  • #1 gripe is that auto ISO isn't configurable for max ISO or min shutter speed

Overall, I am just struck by how lucky we are to have these great choices. When I think about the state of digital cameras available for under $1000 back when I started blogging about cameras, the E-P3 and NEX-5N sitting next to me seem almost too good to be true.

Overall, I am just struck by how lucky we are to have these great choices. When I think about the state of digital cameras available for under $1000 back when I started blogging about cameras, the E-P3 and NEX-5N sitting next to me seem almost too good to be true.

Indeed.

Did you / are you going to get the EVF? Is it for sale anywhere? I have a NEX-C3 and I'm very impressed by it, apart from the fact that I would love a viewfinder. The EVF isn't going to fit the C3 I gather so I was thinking about the 5N and the EVF, particularly as I'm getting great results from my Voigtlander lenses and I'd love to use the focus peaking feature via a viewfinder.

Indeed.

Did you / are you going to get the EVF? Is it for sale anywhere? I have a NEX-C3 and I'm very impressed by it, apart from the fact that I would love a viewfinder. The EVF isn't going to fit the C3 I gather so I was thinking about the 5N and the EVF, particularly as I'm getting great results from my Voigtlander lenses and I'd love to use the focus peaking feature via a viewfinder.

I'm not planning to get it because the added size and process of putting it on/off would bug me, and also because of the price. However, if I were using manual focus lenses, I probably would get the EVF.

As I understand it, and in total shorthand...

The Nex 5 is the old one, the first generation with the 14mp (I think) sensor, but with firmware update it functions as the newer ones, generally.

The C3 is very much like the 5, but with an even smaller body (modeled after the original 3, but I think smaller yet), but with the new 16mp sensor that was so well liked in the A55. I don't think it adds any tricks (like touchscreen or EVF compatibility), so its basically just a smaller body and better sensor than the original 3 and 5.

The 5N has the same body as the original 5 but has the same better 16mp sensor, has a touchscreen, and can use the new removable evf.

The 7 has everything - a body with more controls, a built in evf, a built in flash, touchscreen (maybe, not sure about this), and the even newer/newest 24mp sensor. The body is a bit bigger than the other Nex bodies, but still appears to be pretty small. The all in one package with more easily accessible controls for the more control oriented photographer. In looking at it, I don't actually think the 7's controls will add THAT much to the earlier bodies with the new firmware - I never had any trouble getting to the same things you can configure the new dials for on the 7 with the existing buttons and dial on the 5 (except for the AEL/AFL button - that's new and welcome on the 7), but the built in evf is BIG, the built in flash is nice, and maybe the sensor will be an improvement too, but the 16mp is already a very nice sensor.

If I was going to get back into Nex, I'd probably get the 7, but might just go with the 5N and get the attachable evf. But I'm not - I'm liking where m43 is going more and sort of waiting for an Olympus or Pany version of the Nex 7 body with the small built in evf and the flip up screen. If not, I'm good with my current gear.

-Ray

I think the lens selection might be a factor also. With Nex-5 & 16mm vs Ep-2/3 & 9-18mm, my experience was the opposite. I used them two times in the tunnel construction that my company is building and found that nex w/ 2.8 lens was much faster to focus, maybe due to less available contrast (both using central focus only). However ep-2/3 with IBIS & viewfinder had more keepers for the focused shots vs nex-5 had more blur due to shakiness of my hand although I used it wide open at 2.8. I used e-p3 in Luray caverns with 9-18m also but had less focusing issues, maybe due to higher contrast of the rocks.

[*]AF (including touch AF) in low light is a good bit slower than E-P3 (which is slower than GH2 in low light)

Looking forward to seeing your nex-5n pics and maybe the review also:)

Here's one with the 18-55mm kit lens at 55mm and f/11, moderate crop.

This is a very small frog enjoying the cool trickle of a faucet:

6117969546_bf53365c3f_b.jpg

Back