Fuji Got my X-E1. Now what?

flash

Veteran
Name
Gordon
So, yesterday I picked up an X-E1 and the kit zoom. So far I've upgraded the firmware for camera and lens, turned off the sounds and that's really it. Are there any tricks and tips I need to know? Setting up my EM5's really improved the shooting experience. Is there anything similar for the Fuji or have they done it for me?

Thanks in advance.

Gordon

Depends what you wanna shoot. Can customise for landscape, portrait, street etc by tweaking colours, highlights, contrast etc. Worth doing to see what suits you and your style.

Come on Gordon, as a Pro you know,
To Read the Manual and you'll be set to go.

as a pro I never read the manual :).

seriously, i have read it. And as usual its huge and doesnt include anything aftervthe firmware update. no harm in asking.

Gordon

Depends what you wanna shoot. Can customise for landscape, portrait, street etc by tweaking colours, highlights, contrast etc. Worth doing to see what suits you and your style.

thanks. although I'm primarily a raw shooter I am interested in the Fuji jpegs and I will play.

The Olympus had a big list of tweaks to get it set up right. Looks like th Fuji is better in that regard. Thought Id ask in case someone had some cool tips for making the camera sing.

As a die hard rangefinder shooter, I must say I like the handling, a lot. Wish the aperture ring rotated the opposite way though.

Gordon

thanks. although I'm primarily a raw shooter I am interested in the Fuji jpegs and I will play.

The Olympus had a big list of tweaks to get it set up right. Looks like th Fuji is better in that regard. Thought Id ask in case someone had some cool tips for making the camera sing.

As a die hard rangefinder shooter, I must say I like the handling, a lot. Wish the aperture ring rotated the opposite way though.

Gordon

It is a lovely camera and the 18-55 is a peach deserving of more than "kit lens" as a descriptor. Alas, XE-1 and I have had to amicably part. The smallness and the tiny buttons do not suit my Parkinson's tremor. It did me proud on my 2 month Australia trip. I have kept my X100S.....I worship it. But (heavens forfend) now the owner of a Canon 6D full frame with big lens and big buttons for my mainstream work.

I'm a new X-E1 user and the best advice I can give is to turn off OIS with the 18-55 kit lens. My experience (and others) is that you get sharper images without OIS. You could use the OIS for very slow speeds. Try a few test shots at full zoom, with and without OIS, at slower speeds and see if you agree.

I haven't got an X-Trans sensor and I am primarily a RAW shooter also -- really pretty much exclusively with micro four thirds.

EXCEPT: with my X100. Fuji has some very special stuff going on with their JPG engine and you can tune the shadows and highights in the camera to really get something that has everything you want in the JPG and then you can tune that JPG more than you'd think. The X100 is my first and only Fuji and I am very, very impressed with Fuji in that area and do not hesitate to shoot it in JPG now that I understand the "controls".

I imagine the X-M1 will ve a similar experience for you if you let it. Of course, I don't know your needs but I've been able to shoot the X100 in very challenging industrial environments with excellent results.

I'm a new X-E1 user and the best advice I can give is to turn off OIS with the 18-55 kit lens. My experience (and others) is that you get sharper images without OIS. You could use the OIS for very slow speeds. Try a few test shots at full zoom, with and without OIS, at slower speeds and see if you agree.

Mmmmh. Me too... Got my X-E1 yesterday! :)
Is your (and others) experience documented anywhere? Just out of curiosity.

Back