Got the determination for a 52 week photo challenge?

AndyMcD

Top Veteran
I tried something similar for a monthly challenge a few years ago. I set myself 12 themes for the year, one for each month. Previous years I had been more general. I found it extremely frustrating having to change gears every month, and ultimately did not complete that year's challenge. The one month that I did enjoy was where I had a specific subject and returned to it multiple times throughout the month.

This year (2018) I set myself a single subject (Lone Trees in Black & White) and have been working to build a decent collection. I have about 120 or so pictures in the collection, which I will filter down in January to get my final collection. I think that this is a better way of working as it allows time to learn about the subject, what works and what doesn't and allows opportunities to learn from mistakes and re-do failed pictures.

Luke

Legend
Real Name
Luke
I think these kinds of lists are good motivators for people that need motivation. Even if you just read through the list once in awhile for ideas, it's worth the read....even if you don't want or need to commit to some yearlong project.

gryphon1911

Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew
I enjoyed these when I first started out. I never could do all of them, though.

Some people find these used though, so whatever gets you, keeps you shooting is great.
Now, I prefer shooting projects that take multiple months or a year to complete.

Like others mentioned, the thing that put me off was changing gears. I hated not being able to fully explore something. That and with the changing theme,I would inevitably get frustrated with some of the subjects they would pick... They just didn't interest me.

I could probably have just shoot something else, but never have it enough thought to do so.

I find now I'm looking into the GuruShots site to see if they have anything or there that interests me to participate in. I find very few, but in my slow season (December-March), I have not time for personal projects.

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
I think these kinds of lists are good motivators for people that need motivation. Even if you just read through the list once in awhile for ideas, it's worth the read....even if you don't want or need to commit to some yearlong project.
You can always just follow along as best you can and use a forum like this for feedback.

Back in 2009 I embarked upon a 365 day/POTD project, and did OK with it until along about October, when I simply hit the wall and said, "I can't do this any more!" and quit. I was totally burned out and didn't touch a camera again for a rather long time. Only recently have I been getting back into doing more shooting again and enjoying it once more. Lessons learned from that POTD -- too many (self-imposed) rules and restrictions definitely took away from the pleasure in the project, and while I did learn a lot from it and did create some pretty good images, losing my joy in photography was not a good outcome.

If I were ever to attempt such a project again I would be much, much more relaxed about the entire thing and far more spontaneous in my shooting, finding inspiration wherever it happened to be, rather than trying to go by some list of suggested subjects or themes, as that simply does not work well for me. I also would be more casual about the gear used and editing approaches, too, perhaps experimenting with interesting filters and such in post-processing. The other thing which I found to be problematic was sharing the images each day in a thread on a photography-based site, and therefore I clung to the impression that each and every image had to be just "perfect", which of course is simply not realistic and really not going to be possible!

Latest posts

Latest threads

Top Bottom