Ricoh GR III rumor

I've decided I want a GR of one variety or another. Now two months since it was announced. How long, usually, between announcement and release? I'm debating whether to just go GRII now with a 15% discount at CRK. Or to get an XF10. I'm confused.

[EDIT] Never mind, decided to go with the discount. Should have it in my hot little hands by the end of the week.

Last edited:
I've decided I want a GR of one variety or another. Now two months since it was announced. How long, usually, between announcement and release? I'm debating whether to just go GRII now with a 15% discount at CRK. Or to get an XF10. I'm confused.

[EDIT] Never mind, decided to go with the discount. Should have it in my hot little hands by the end of the week.
Last time round, it seemed like ages between announcement and release and seems even longer this time round, so I completely understand. Plus you got the discount.

Last time round, it seemed like ages between announcement and release and seems even longer this time round, so I completely understand. Plus you got the discount.

The discount took it from $899 down to $764. Free shipping helps, too. $760 or so is the lowest price I have ever seen it at CRK, I think the last time they discounted it themselves it was around that. So, a good purchase, methinks. Now, of course, I will be seeking a VF.

there's no way of telling if they got the GR III right or not.
Absolutely. There's particular aspects of the current GR ie, usability, internal PP, sensor, etc that, for me, needs to be maintained in the new one (please :bowdown:). I tried out a Fuji XF10, a fine camera no doubt, but not one that can easily be bonded with if you've had the GR in your pocket the last 3 years. In the back of my mind, I'm just a tiny bit fearful there might be a bit of that in the new GR.

Absolutely. There's particular aspects of the current GR ie, usability, internal PP, sensor, etc that, for me, needs to be maintained in the new one (please :bowdown:). I tried out a Fuji XF10, a fine camera no doubt, but not one that can easily be bonded with if you've had the GR in your pocket the last 3 years. In the back of my mind, I'm just a tiny bit fearful there might be a bit of that in the new GR.

The problem I was having, in making a decision, was that I have the X100 and although I loved it at the time, I didnt bond with it as much as I expected to. OTOH I still love the GRD3 I have, and I am really looking fwd to the GR. I think it suits me. If it works as well as I expect it to (with me, I mean) I expect to be divesting myself of nearly all my other cameras (yes, I know, I've said it all before.)

Nothing not to like about the GR, my only problem was a viewfinder.... or rather lack of!
Fully agree. But I just had to re-assess the tiny GV-2 - it's better than I remembered it to be, considerably so, and if you're out to take quick snaps, it's really quite useful. Not a recommendation as such, just a statement ...

I'm a bit miffed that the GR III doesn't use the same battery as the GR and GR II; yes, I understand tech advances, but I doubt another small battery will make that much of a difference; I'd have appreciated compatibility in that respect ... Anyway, if it's no major upgrade in terms of IQ (which I doubt), I'm not really interested. *If* IQ is truely improved (as Ricoh themselves suggest), I may find I.B.I.S. plus better IQ (but not reduced size!) enough of an incentive to change my mind, though.

M.

Lots of pictures of the GRlll in this site
触ってきました「RICOH GR III」 見た目そのままフルモデルチェンジの詳細
You will need to open it in a Chrome browser to get the translation.
I got a new GRll on Monday before they are all gone and having looked at these pictures I'm glad I did.
Thanks for the link. Although in foreign language I see the menu system seems the same. I have the GR on pre order. I had originally discounted it for not having tilty screen. But it’s still a contender

A 24mp sensor and a new lens. How do we know the IQ is not improved?
We probably don't, but I have been impressed with what I have seen so far of the GR and GRII which is why I decided to get one, even though the III is imminent. I use Tav extensively on my Pentaxes so I was looking for that, and I hate little dials around the 4way controller, which is why I have so far (except for my X100) avoided cameras with that... The thing that did appeal was the reduction in size, and I don't care about the loss of flash, since I almost never use it.

A 24mp sensor and a new lens. How do we know the IQ is not improved?
Of course we don't. But given how well the GR performs already, I'll not hold my breath expecting a huge step forward. I've used later/latest tech 24MP APS-C sensors, and while they *are* better than the GR's in resolution as well as low-light performance, the difference isn't that big. I do like the sensor in the G1X III a lot and prefer it over the GR's - but I wouldn't buy the G1X III for its sensor alone, either; nice EVF, weather-sealing, quite a solid lens, good VR, good controls ... it's the package I like, even though it's the APS-C 24MP sensor that drives it. The G1X III tops the GR in most ways - except for size and pure lens quality; in terms of handling, the cameras are totally different beasts, but I think the GR still has the edge (but it's no more than an edge ...).

The GR III is of course an intriguing camera, but I'd have liked Ricoh to take a different route. Miniaturisation is all very well, but I perfer tactility and usability over diminuitive size, and I'd really have appreciated some sort of VF. If the RX100 series and the Panasonic GM series were able to acquire one, there's no good reason why the GR couldn't. But of course, if they *reduce* body size, it's unlikely or even impossible. Furthermore, I have just enough grip space on my current GR - the GR III offers even less real estate between grip and lens. And I *don't* have big hands ... Anyway, let's see how the III works out. But I'm not impressed in the way I had hoped I would be.

M.

I don’t own any GR so I would be deciding not updating. Of course, I will wait until some results are out. I tend to prefer the 24 mp sensors especially with a 28 mm equivalent since it gives me a bit more crop room. I really wish these cameras came with a 35 equivalent. I know there is the X100 series but those are hardly small.

I don’t own any GR so I would be deciding not updating. Of course, I will wait until some results are out. I tend to prefer the 24 mp sensors especially with a 28 mm equivalent since it gives me a bit more crop room. I really wish these cameras came with a 35 equivalent. I know there is the X100 series but those are hardly small.
It comes with a 35mm equiv. crop which works fine on the current model. But it's generally better to crop in PP and you just get used to the 28mm FL when using this camera.

@drd1135 I usually prefer 35mm (I seem to "see" in a 35mm equivalent FoV - pre-framing and such ...), but the GR's dynamic, yet not exaggerated perspective works very well for me after just a couple of shots to sort of get my eye in. But in principle, I agree; a 35mm-e GR (preferrably with a viewfinder - even an optical one would help) would make me buy that camera without so much as a second thought.

I tried the RX1R II when it was just out and didn't like it at all; I loved the feel of the X100F and found it fiddly in use; I adored the Leica Q, full stop - but that's not a pocket camera by any stretch (of pocket *and* wallet). Again and again, the GR seems to get the major things right, everyone else is trying too hard (IMHO). Now if only Ricoh had Sigma's guts and made a couple of them, same slick body, different focal lengths (21mm, 28mm, 35mm/40mm, 75mm). But that's decidedly yester-year, I know ... Almost makes me consider a GXR ... (not really, just a thought).

M.

Of course, i have used both the Coolpix A and the Fuji X70 for the Singles contests and enjoyed the 28 equivalent FOV. I just prefer a longer FL. When I was younger I shot with Pentax SLRs (SP500, MX, MV, ZX7, MZ-S) and shot mostly with one of the 50s or the pancake 40. The “normal” field of view seems natural to me. I am currently using an XE3 with the 35 1.4 and it seems like an old friend. I know, however, that they will never make a fixed lens compact with a 50 equivalent lens so I hope for more 35-based models.

Last edited:
Back