Ricoh Ricoh GR III

Agreed about the IBIS rattle, the squawking on the other forum is some of the most ridiculous nonsense I've seen, even for that forum!

Do you notice any difference between focus speed at the close end, non-macro, versus further out, like a meter and beyond? Seems like most of the demonstrations of slow focus I've seen are all at the near end, is it possible the PDAF doesn't kick in that close?

Agreed about the IBIS rattle, the squawking on the other forum is some of the most ridiculous nonsense I've seen, even for that forum!

Do you notice any difference between focus speed at the close end, non-macro, versus further out, like a meter and beyond? Seems like most of the demonstrations of slow focus I've seen are all at the near end, is it possible the PDAF doesn't kick in that close?
Yes that is my experience. So Iā€™ll be ok with my type of shooting. Another thing worth mentioning is if you switch to macro mode, thatā€™s it . Thatā€™s where it will stay. So no chance that anything further away will focus until you switch macro off. I also forgot to put the sd card back in before I went out. Thankful for 2gig internal memory

If anyone needed a reference, this is what stupid looks like:

Amazon is now listing it as "currently unavailable" but they have charged my credit card and are saying it should arrive Monday... so it looks as if they have exhausted their initial stock with preorders. I ordered on Feb 22 so I hope I was near the front of the line!

I can now painfully stare at the tracking information over the weekend.

It's funny, I have seen several reports talking about how the vignetting is more pronounced even than the GR/GRII, and all I can think is, what a perfect excuse! I enjoy adding (mild, not over the top) vignetting in post but I always feel a bit guilty, as it's a bit of a gimmick. But I had noticed how the GRII has some "real" natural vignetting, the GRIII should only please me more in that area.

Okay, I have been thinking... Please check my logic.

I have an original GR now.

GRIII offers me:

• A larger sensor
  • Wifi
  • A smaller body
  • A touch screen
  • Loss of the direct buttons for exposure comp
  • IBIS
  • Loss of the flash

And costs Ā£799-ish new

GRII offers me:

• The same sensor
  • Wifi
  • The same body
  • No touch screen
  • Direct buttons for exposure comp
  • No IBIS
  • Flash

And costs Ā£499 - Ā£550-ish new

Given that I would like:

• A larger sensor
  • Wifi
  • Buttons for exposure comp

Would not like:
  • A touch screen
  • A smaller body

and am not bothered about:
  • IBIS
  • Flash

...it seems to me that the sensible thing FOR ME is to go for a new GRII while I can still find one. It would be younger than the one I have and give me the wi-fi capability that I currently lack. The big downside is that I am missing out on the chance of a larger sensor, but - you know what - it doesn't make Ā£300-worth of difference.

Agree? Disagree?

GRIII offers me:

• A larger sensor
  • Wifi
  • A smaller body
  • A touch screen
  • IBIS
  • Loss of the flash
And costs Ā£799-ish new

GRII offers me:

• The same sensor
  • Wifi
  • The same body
  • No touch screen
  • No IBIS
  • Flash

Given that I would like:

• A larger sensor
  • Wifi
Would not like:
  • A touch screen
  • A smaller body
  • IBIS
  • Flash
...it seems to me that the sensible thing FOR ME is to go for a new GRII while I can still find one. It would be younger than the one I have and give me the wi-fi capability that I currently lack. The big downside is that I am missing out on the chance of a larger sensor, but - you know what - it doesn't make Ā£300-worth of difference.

Agree? Disagree?
Nothing wrong with your logic as far as your specific needs and preferences are concerned, I think - but I'd still suggest handling and trying the camera before deciding: If body size is a problem can only be judged by handling the camera. The grip seems subtly different, so there's no telling how it'll feel from merely looking at it. And since you can turn off the touchscreen, that's nothing I'd worry about.

The point you really have to be very clear on is sensor tech: The GR's sensor was top-notch when it came out, but it's visible long in the tooth now - I've seen results from the CL's sensor and from Fujifilm's latest, and the GR can't keep up anymore in several respects, DR and high ISO noise being among them (especially chroma noise above ISO 1600 is ugly - even my GX9 does a better job in that respect; switching to b&w helps, though).

Of course, if you don't need or want to shoot the camera in low light very often, the GR/II is still a very nice performer - the sensor/lens combo is great, as well you know. I actually doubt that the higher resolution and new lens can make that much of a difference, simply because of the quality of the original! But of course, images will be a bit more detailed and possibly a little cleaner, and JPEGs are visibily improved.

I really don't care for the implementation of the new macro mode because it limits you do a couple of centimeters of focus range; the GR/II uses its whole extended range, though it's noticeably slower to focus when in macro mode. And I've never used the flash in earnest - I'd probably not even notice that it's gone.

I personally don't use WiFi on any of my cameras, so getting a II over the original doesn't appeal to me at all. The III, on the other hand, actually should because I'd most probably make good use of I.B.I.S. (I've had the occasional shot with the GR ruined by camera shake - a one-hand camera is more prone to that anyway) - however, for that to be useful, low light AF would have to be reasonably reliable, and that doesn't seem to be the case for the III (yet ... hopefully!).

To sum up: The GR/II are great cameras with reliable tech - albeit an aging sensor. The III would be a nice improvement if it delivered on all promises - which, to my eyes at least, it doesn't quite do. That may change (and I sincerely wish it will), but for the time being, getting a GR or II isn't counter-intuitive at all.

I'll stick with my GR - for now.

M.

GRIII offers me:

• A larger sensor
  • Wifi
  • A smaller body
  • A touch screen
  • IBIS
  • Loss of the flash
And costs Ā£799-ish new

GRII offers me:

• The same sensor
  • Wifi
  • The same body
  • No touch screen
  • No IBIS
  • Flash

Given that I would like:

• A larger sensor
  • Wifi
Would not like:
  • A touch screen
  • A smaller body
  • IBIS
  • Flash

Agree? Disagree?

Bill , you can knock off wifi on the GR3.
It doesnā€™t work. Not for me anyway. Nor does Bluetooth. And Iā€™m not alone. WiFi works fine on my mk 2 . But the 3 just ainā€™t recognised

Just from reading random internet stuff, it does seem the GRiii is in need of a FW update.
Actually, it was quite similar with the original; firmware updates did come, and came quickly - I remember actually doing two in as many months after buying the camera; I wasn't a complete early adopter, either (I think I got the cameras about four months after it was released). The result - a camera that still works great after all these years - is certainly reason for hope.

M.

Back