Grand Budapest Hotel

I agree. Absolutely a visual treat, with some excellent performances from Wes Anderson's "regulars". See it if you can.

If you enjoyed it, seek out "The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou" which is in similar vein.

thanks martin. i thought exactly the same, but was too lazy to post! the film is shot half in pano and half in square and it was amazing. i can only compare it to citizen kane in terms of freshness of perspective, detailed thought to every frame. really amazing. i put it up there with welles and david lean in terms of pure photograhic beauty.

We talked about it last weekend but the weather was so nice. After your post, now we have to see it this weekend...

Yeah, he's the real deal. I've seen all of the feature length movies from Rushmore forward, except for Mr. Fox - I just can't wrap my head around animated movies for the most part, even the really great ones. But Moonrise Kingdom was a real treat and this one looks wonderful in previews, but I guess that's the whole job of previews, so I won't pre-judge. But we'll definitely be seeing it soon...

-Ray

I can also recommend Mr. Fox (assuming I was not going to like it). Also, if you haven't seen "Bottle Rocket" (his first film), it's definitely worth seeing. I saw it years ago and was transfixed. It's much more "rough" and almost a bit low-budgety looking, but he already has a number of his trademarks in full swing. As the work of a young film-maker, it's quite impressive. It also features nearly the whole "Forever Changes" by Love which is one of my top 5 of all-time (and usually in my #1 or #2 slot.

Saw it a couple of weeks ago. I'been a big fan of his since A life aquatic which I think is wonderful in the true sense of the word. The opening scenes of Moonrise Kingdom had me mesmerised.

Well, I finally saw Grand Budapest Hotel last night and was totally pleased. Talk about a well-crafted film. Every shot was a beautiful image on its own and a visual delight. In some ways, this may be Wes Anderson's most-ambitious film to date. Highly recommended.

I loved it. The story was spectacular I thought. The only thing better than a great picture is a story to go with it and vice versa.

Back