Nature Grand Canyon Trip

I decided to stick with my initial thoughts and go with the E-M1.3, PL8-18, O50 macro, and O75-300.

After I got these situated in the case (Nanuk 915) along with my LaCie Boss backup drive there's a bit of space left over.

View attachment 382555

I should probably use this space for battery packs, chargers, etc. But I'm wondering if another lens or two might be useful. Maybe the P15/1.7 (with the GM5?) for lightweight hikes and evening? Or the Laowa 7.5/2 for stars? Or...?

- K
I think I've talked myself out of packing a second body. I considered both the Pen F and the GM5, but either would have meant including as well another set of batteries and charger, and I don't think I want to deal with that added complexity. (I really miss the common battery platform with my old E-M1.1 and Pen F.) I also once more considered and dismissed both the O12-40/2.8 and the 012–100/4 as too heavy and bulky to add to this kit.

I'm considering the 14-140 "travel" superzoom, but I'm having a hard time envisioning a situation in which it would serve me better than using the other lenses I've included (except, obviously, that it would give me full coverage of the 36 and 150mmE gap). Looking at the focal lengths I use when shooting with a superzoom I almost never use the 100 to 150mmE range -- I shoot either in the wider portion of the range or racked out to the 200mmE+ end. So that made me think that maybe the tiny O14-42 EZ could give me 95% of the utility of the larger superzoom. And I can stack it with the P15/1.7 and together they will take up less space in this case than the O50mm macro does. Adding those two would still leave me plenty of space in the case for chargers, batteries, battery packs, etc.

Thoughts?

- K

I think I've talked myself out of packing a second body. I considered both the Pen F and the GM5, but either would have meant including as well another set of batteries and charger, and I don't think I want to deal with that added complexity. (I really miss the common battery platform with my old E-M1.1 and Pen F.) I also once more considered and dismissed both the O12-40/2.8 and the 012–100/4 as too heavy and bulky to add to this kit.

I'm considering the 14-140 "travel" superzoom, but I'm having a hard time envisioning a situation in which it would serve me better than using the other lenses I've included (except, obviously, that it would give me full coverage of the 36 and 150mmE gap). Looking at the focal lengths I use when shooting with a superzoom I almost never use the 100 to 150mmE range -- I shoot either in the wider portion of the range or racked out to the 200mmE+ end. So that made me think that maybe the tiny O14-42 EZ could give me 95% of the utility of the larger superzoom. And I can stack it with the P15/1.7 and together they will take up less space in this case than the O50mm macro does. Adding those two would still leave me plenty of space in the case for chargers, batteries, battery packs, etc.

Thoughts?

- K
Keith, the 12-100 should definitely be in your kit, even if it's the only lens you take ...

Ditto, a second body plus general purpose lens.

Mechanical cameras usually gave some symptoms prior to failure. Electronic cameras and lenses just stop working, usually with no warning at all.

Keith, the 12-100 should definitely be in your kit, even if it's the only lens you take ...

Ditto, a second body plus general purpose lens.

Mechanical cameras usually gave some symptoms prior to failure. Electronic cameras and lenses just stop working, usually with no warning at all.
You're not wrong on any of this, John. That said, I just haven't really developed a "connection" with my 12-100. Nothing wrong with it or the images it produces, but it just hasn't (yet) sparked my creativity. At least not enough to overcome it's size and weight disadvantages.

I feel more comfortable shooting with the 8-18, and I've spent maybe only half the time using that lens as I have the 12-100. Maybe I just "see" in a wider angle? 🤷‍♂️

I see 24-200 mmE as an ideal range for urban shooting. If I were going to Paris or Budapest that lens would be all I'd need (at least when the sun's up). But when I'm in nature I feel like I'm always running up against its limitations...I'm constantly shooting at 12mm or 100mm and wishing I had more room to go in either direction.

I think the 8-18 and 75-300 combo will fulfill my needs... but, of course, I don't know that. I'll only know once I'm on the river and then it's too late to change my mind. I think the tiny 14-42 EZ will be a sufficient hedge on that bet.

As for a second body, I probably will end up finding some room for the GM5 and a couple batteries, even if it means sacrificing one extra pair of socks. But realistically, even if I don't and if the E-M1 were to crap out on the first day on the raft, it won't ruin the trip. Photography isn't the primary reason for nor focus of this trip. I'd love to come away with a photo or two suitable for framing, but if that doesn't happen it's no big deal.

- K

You're not wrong on any of this, John. That said, I just haven't really developed a "connection" with my 12-100. Nothing wrong with it or the images it produces, but it just hasn't (yet) sparked my creativity. At least not enough to overcome it's size and weight disadvantages.

I feel more comfortable shooting with the 8-18, and I've spent maybe only half the time using that lens as I have the 12-100. Maybe I just "see" in a wider angle? 🤷‍♂️

I see 24-200 mmE as an ideal range for urban shooting. If I were going to Paris or Budapest that lens would be all I'd need (at least when the sun's up). But when I'm in nature I feel like I'm always running up against its limitations...I'm constantly shooting at 12mm or 100mm and wishing I had more room to go in either direction.

I think the 8-18 and 75-300 combo will fulfill my needs... but, of course, I don't know that. I'll only know once I'm on the river and then it's too late to change my mind. I think the tiny 14-42 EZ will be a sufficient hedge on that bet.

As for a second body, I probably will end up finding some room for the GM5 and a couple batteries, even if it means sacrificing one extra pair of socks. But realistically, even if I don't and if the E-M1 were to crap out on the first day on the raft, it won't ruin the trip. Photography isn't the primary reason for nor focus of this trip. I'd love to come away with a photo or two suitable for framing, but if that doesn't happen it's no big deal.

- K
I understand, Keith.

On a trip like this, I would take my E-M1 MkII, 8-25, 12-100 and 75-300. The latter in a separate case. The body and two shorter zooms fit into my relatively small Lowepro Nova 140 AW. Stuffed full with those, it's only 250L x 150W x 190H.

My tiny ThinkTank Mirrorless Mover 10, easily holds my E-PM2, 14-42 EZ, and 40-150R.

Also, I tend to travel by car, so tend to take all my current gear with me.

I decided to stick with my initial thoughts and go with the E-M1.3, PL8-18, O50 macro, and O75-300.

After I got these situated in the case (Nanuk 915) along with my LaCie Boss backup drive there's a bit of space left over.

View attachment 382555

I should probably use this space for battery packs, chargers, etc. But I'm wondering if another lens or two might be useful. Maybe the P15/1.7 (with the GM5?) for lightweight hikes and evening? Or the Laowa 7.5/2 for stars? Or...?

- K
Just to circle back on this topic of the "right" set of gear to bring on this trip. This is the basic set of gear I brought along, adding only the diminutive GM5 as a back-up body along with its PL15 lens (which I ended up using only once and then mostly to justify having lugged it along).

The PL8–18 was the workhorse, as I suspected it would be, with the O75–300 getting busted out only a time or two when there was occasion for some wildlife shooting for which the extra reach was desired. The 16–36mm focal length (in 35mm terms) was almost ideal for the environs. There were a couple of times I would've appreciated something a bit tighter, but I almost never wanted for a wider view. I didn't use the O50 macro at all — there were a few opportunities (one datura in particular that I wish in hindsight I'd captured), but my attention was drawn to things other than photography (hiking, eating, cooking, getting to know my boatmates). The other consideration is that with most everything typically covered with a thin layer of blown dust, I didn't want to risk changing lenses any more than necessary.

I also used my iPhone along with an add-on 1.33x anamorphic lens to capture a fair bit of Cinemascope-esque video footage, which worked well, at least until a rogue wave through one of the rapids drenched the phone and lens and necessitated allowing about 24 hours for the moisture that had gotten inside the lens to dissipate. I also got some fun photos and video from my old Ricoh Theta S 360º camera that I also threw in.

If I were to do the trip again, I might consider finding a copy of the Oly 8–25 which would afford me just a bit more reach than the 8–18 for those few times it would have been nice. That said, the photographic results I achieved were limited much more by my skills (or lack thereof) than by my equipment.

It was an absolutely epic trip, one which I would heartily recommend adding to one's bucket list. We were met with near perfect weather during our 8 days on the river, and this winter's considerable snowfall in the Colorado basin meant that there was plenty of water flowing into the river. To add to that, a peak discharge from the dam above the canyon that occurred just a week before our trip meant that the river had deposited a fresh layer of sand on all of the beaches on which we camped. Our small group included a few folks with vast experience in the canyon who were happy to share their knowledge and everyone developed a good rapport. Add to that the celebratory atmosphere on the account of celebrating four birthdays in eight days (including mine and my wife's) among our group of 16.

- K

Thanks for sharing these photos, Steve. I'd love to see some more images. Did you take along any photo gear beyond the iPhone? If you've previously shared such, please point me to the thread.

I'd also love to hear more about your experiences. My wife and I are booked for a similar trip in early May. If you feel like sharing, I'd love to know as much detail as you'd like to share, for example:
  • what were the days like in terms of schedule (i.e. how much time on the water and off, etc.)?
  • what were the highlights (and lowlights) of the trip for you?
  • what gear was indispensable and what gear do you wish you'd left at home? (not limited to photo gear but also clothing, etc.)
  • what gear do you wish you'd brought?
  • what would you choose to do differently if you were doing it again? (e.g. trip length, boat type, etc.)
I thought about sending you a private message, but I figured someone else might benefit from the wisdom you've gained as well. Thanks in advance for any info you care to share.

- K
Sorry, I missed this. I only had an iPhone. You need a camera that can take serious splashing. No rain in June, but the only thing I had that could take the rapids was the iPhone which is submersible. The only other camera I would consider without a housing is one of the OM cameras. Most of the day was spent on the raft, although there were stops for lunch and hikes. The entire trip was 240 miles down the Colardo River.

Last edited:
Back