News Graphene sensor development - 1000x better light gathering than CCD / CMOS

This may be closer than you think, too. The scientists who created this sensor say it can be mass-produced using current CMOS technology and, at least in theory, could be less expensive than current camera sensors.

There was an old Firesign Theater comedy album with the title "Everything You Know Is Wrong." For anyone who's been alive on this planet for more than a couple of decades, we are rapidly approaching that point.

This may be closer than you think, too. The scientists who created this sensor say it can be mass-produced using current CMOS technology and, at least in theory, could be less expensive than current camera sensors.

There was an old Firesign Theater comedy album with the title "Everything You Know Is Wrong." For anyone who's been alive on this planet for more than a couple of decades, we are rapidly approaching that point.

LOVE that album. I was a Firesign Theatre junky back in the day... before they became pathetic, lol. They were so good in their prime. That album is one of the last good ones.

But, I wonder how they prevent or handle thermal noise. It will still be present and photons are photons whether they are local heat energy or whatever. If you are more sensitive to light photons, you should also be more sensitive to photons in the bulk matter of the sensor coming as heat. Wonder how that works out?

when they do eventually end up in regular cameras, however, they're promised to be five times cheaper than the sensors they're replacing.
I really like the sounds of this. 6x9 will be the new 'full-frame'...and 35mm tomorrow's piffling consumer-compact/camera-phone sensor. Bring it on :dance:

Back