Ricoh GRD 3 vs GRD 4 - serious money issue

Erden

Hello everybody,

I am a forum newbie who is just about to step into Ricoh universe.

I will not be particularly original asking which to choose - an old good GRD3 or hot GRD4 but I have my reason to start this thread.

As you can expect, I went through all threads and published reviews and comaprisions of both cameras already but can't make a final decision due to one simple reason.

I live in Poland where Ricoh is extremely niche brand. It means you can't touch a camera as it does not exist in regular distribution. It can be purchased online though. And this is my concern begins just right here. The retail price of GRD4 has been set at 540 Euro (camera is not available yet) while GRD 3 from old stock is available at 290 Euro. That makes 250 Euro of difference. Quite a money, right?

Are all the GRD4 upgrades really worth such a price difference and time to get it? Oh, I don't want to import.

I am an occasional street shooter, looking for a little camera which will replace my beloved analogue Russian Lomo :)

I'll very much appreciate your advise.

Cheers.

you still have a lot of people shooting with their GRD1, GRD2, and GRD3 models. i don't see why these cameras would appear obsolete or outdated because of the GRD4. they are all very capable, and besides, as you can see by observing the minimum amount of changes new models received in the cosmetic department, it does give a hint at how perfect it was from the start.
Now it certainly does not mean that the GRDIV improvements are not welcome. they are. i shoot with one and i think IS and higher ISO are awesome advantages, but if you are on a strict budget, it will probably not make sense to transform your wallet into an empty airbag or something. :)
take a look at what Nick Poon can do with his GRD2: Flickr: liver1223's Photostream
you can also take a look at the flickr groups dedicated to the ricoh models. you'll find tons of amazing shots from ALL these models.

at the very end, these are all cameras. the only thing that count will be your eye.
and in two years time, nobody will notice a difference in all these models compared to the "new stuff". :)

good luck for choosing !

s

The only real advantage I could perceive with the GRD4 is the faster auto focus and the addition of image stabilization. The way I use the camera for street shooting, these issues don't matter to me. I think the GRD3 is better in terms of maintaining control over the snap-focus feature, which I find critical for street shooting. The GRD4 appears to be better in low light, but i did a bunch of comparative shots that convinced me there's no real advantage there. The iso numbers changed, but the actual sensitivity didn't. So I'd recommend saving your money and go for the 3. But if AF or image stabilization is important to you, the 4 might be worth the money.

-Ray

Thanks a lot for your input!

Taking into account, it will be my first Ricoh, GRD3 should be a good starting point plus a great camera to learn the system (particularly so appreciated snap mode).
As a photography apprentice and a single speed/fixed gear bike rider, I believe that simple solutions (e.g. lack of IS) make you work harder.

I am also amazed by given picture examples. I also prefer B&W over color.

Ricoh distributor can't even predict when to expect GRDIV in stores. As it arrives at last, I will have to double current GRD3 price to get it. The choice seems to be quite simple: I'll go now for GRD3 (well proven shooter) to replace it with GRD5 when it comes in 2 years:)

Image quality wise, there is a big difference between the GXR with the aps-c 28mm sensor module and the GRD IV, yet the price difference is only about USD 300. Between the GRDIII and the GRD IV, the difference in image quality is marginal (same sensor), if any at all, yet the price difference is about the same USD 300. Therefore, I would either choose the GRDIII or buy the GXR with 28mm module. The GRDIV pricing is a little rich considering what can be had in the market otherwise. Just my 2 cents.

I made my decision based on your advice and got myself a GRD3. My choice was quite easy as though, as GRD4 hasn't come to Poland yet. Never the less, I must admit more I use it happier I am. It is apparently quite typical for new Ricoh user, I think. So thank you guys for your input once again!

Chuck... tell me about the GRD 3 versus your LX3. I've got an LX3 myself but I've been curious about the Ricohs for a while now.

Biro, the two a very different cameras and experiences, but both are a lot of fun. The LX3 is a lot more flexible with its 24-60 mm zoom range as opposed to the fixed 28mm lens of the GRD3. The LX3 has a full range of scene modes and "film" modes, while the GRD3 has a much more limited set. The controls on the GRD3, though, seem much more professional, with a very nice option for manual focusing that pretty much eliminates shutter lag.

For all-purpose compact photography, I'd opt for the LX3/5,Canon S90/95/100, or, at the next level, the Fuji X10. But for a single focal-length/excellent controls experience, the GRD3 is tough to beat at the size and current price point - if you can still find it.

Jorge, thanks for the link to your ongoing review of the LX-3. As a result, I'm going to pack along my LX-3, which I couldn't bring myself to sell, along with the ever-present GRD3 on my next business trip. Perhaps I'll try to get some shots with both under similar conditions. I hope I have time for business!

Back