Ricoh GRD III Field Test

Duane Pandorf

Top Veteran
This past weekend the Philmont Scout Crew I'm a part of did a little shakedown in the Shining Rock Wilderness area. Of course part of this shakedown was to see how well the GRD III handled. Here's a shot of myself and my son. Plus a link the trek we went on.

I'm still going through all the shots and will upload them to my Flickr account and link to them from this thread. Thanks for looking.

Philmont Crew 615-Q-01 Shakedown trek

View attachment 36408

Wow, what a trip! You did beautifully with your GRDIII, dorfinator! Those views from the mountain top camp are breathtaking!! You must be very pleased with your pictures and the shakedown trip.

I enjoyed looking at the full set and seeing the REI logo brought back fond memories of my college days...which were back in the late 70's.

When do you take off for your big trip?

Wow, what a trip! You did beautifully with your GRDIII, dorfinator! Those views from the mountain top camp are breathtaking!! You must be very pleased with your pictures and the shakedown trip.

I enjoyed looking at the full set and seeing the REI logo brought back fond memories of my college days...which were back in the late 70's.

When do you take off for your big trip?

Thanks for the kind comments. We leave for our "big" trip June 13 and return the 27th. There will be two crews (25 total) leaving the Asheville area via transport to Charlotte to catch our Delta flight that leaves early the 14th. We get to Philmont on the 15th and begin our hiking on the 16th.

This is our hiking itinerary:

http://scouting.org/filestore/philmont/camping/2011itinerary/Itinerary/2011_Itinerary_27.pdf

And here's the map:

http://scouting.org/filestore/philmont/camping/2011itinerary/Map/2011map_27.pdf

The camera performed great and found the battery life was exceptional. I took more shots than I posted on Flickr and the battery indicator was still showing full.

I did plenty of chimping and used the flash several times too.

So I think I have enough batteries (3) and sd cards (2 8gigs and 1 4gig Eye-Fi card) for the trip. I will also have some AAAs for my torches I can use just in case.

My plan is to put together a coffee table book out of Aperture and offer that to all the parents at whatever cost is.

I'm still a bit sore from the weekend so I need to go back to work to recover. Been on vacation and have to earn my pay tomorrow.

That's a super report on the GRD III in action and the book is going to be a huge hit with the hikers and their families, that I have no doubt about at all, dorfinator - great idea!

Very exciting!

dorfinator,

I was up that way back last fall. We ran down the hike from Triple falls to the parking lot because it started to pour. We never made it up to High falls. It really is a beautiful area.

Back