GRD iii snaps in Edinburgh

Briar

Hall of Famer
Having heard great things about the wonderful GRD iii, I recently took advantage of it's bargain price so I could have a go at street photography with a fixed, snappy focus lens. I love my X100, but by the time it wakes up my wonderful shots have usually walked out of my view, got on the bus and are actually sitting down to supper in their homes, with me left standing on the street with only a memory of a photograph that could have been.

My first thoughts on receiving the GRD iii was how wide? and how close would I have to be to fill the frame with my subject? Being a shy, wee lass, not comfortable getting myself in people's faces, I guessed the GRD iii would be a challenge. So on Saturday I nipped into Edinburgh to see how I would cope on familiar ground. These are some of my snaps.

6183230624_dfcce72e1b_b.jpg

Still love the camera (I hesitate to say it but I think I love it more than the X100)
Horses for courses as you folks say. The GRD3 is much better for some kinds of shooting and the X100 for a different kind. Very different feel - one lightning fast, the other a bit more contemplative.

Great start Karen. Some nice compositions, a few close enough to begin to be character studies. If you enjoy it, you'll find yourself doing it more and you'll get exponentially more comfortable. On hint would be to go for some really crowded areas, particularly at first - much easier to shoot at close proximity when in the midst of a milling crowd than when you just encounter the occasional person or small group on the street. MUCH easier in my experience. I still prefer shooting in crowded settings and I've been doing this stuff a little while now...

Great choice of another camera. I'm pretty settled in with m43 as my main system but I don't see letting go of either the GRD3 or X100 in the foreseeable future...

-Ray

They were all in camera black and white, contrast tweaked and border applied in Snapseed. The last couple are my favourite too. They are in Princes Street Gardens.

If you enjoy it, you'll find yourself doing it more and you'll get exponentially more comfortable. On hint would be to go for some really crowded areas, particularly at first - much easier to shoot at close proximity when in the midst of a milling crowd than when you just encounter the occasional person or small group on the street. MUCH easier in my experience.

Thanks Ray, I had a blast. Quite keen to get out there and try again but pesky shifts keep getting in the way of my fun. Thanks for the tip.

Back