GRD3 - street candids in Weymouth, Dorset.

Peter, there is energy in these that I really like. You have also done well with a 28mm to fill the frame in many instances. I like the fact that you have "dutch"ed a number of the shots, and have clearly "shot from the hip" - to that end can I recommend you to either a book called "Vintage '80s - London Street Photography" or "Shots from the Hip", both by "Johnny Stiletto". DO NOT buy both for they are the same book re-issued. :) They are both on Amazon, with Shots from the Hip only available secondhand. I blame this book for my own interest in street photography :)

Peter, there is energy in these that I really like. You have also done well with a 28mm to fill the frame in many instances. I like the fact that you have "dutch"ed a number of the shots, and have clearly "shot from the hip" - to that end can I recommend you to either a book called "Vintage '80s - London Street Photography" or "Shots from the Hip", both by "Johnny Stiletto". DO NOT buy both for they are the same book re-issued. :) They are both on Amazon, with Shots from the Hip only available secondhand. I blame this book for my own interest in street photography :)

Thanks Bill, I appreciate the comment and info. I am not familiar with the term dutch'ed if you can help? Is it a reference to cropping?

Glad you appreciate the energy.

Cheers

These weren't really grabbing me on first look and I couldn't figure out why, because I tend to love your work and these are not a departure from what you tend to do. But I think its Luke's observation about the unhappy lot you seem to have caught on this shoot. Some stern looks are good in street shooting, but maybe an unending series of them is just too much for the average viewer.... My favorite are the fifth and the last, and in both shots there are hints of smiles at work and I hadn't made the connection, but I'm sure that's part of it...

-Ray

These weren't really grabbing me on first look and I couldn't figure out why, because I tend to love your work and these are not a departure from what you tend to do. But I think its Luke's observation about the unhappy lot you seem to have caught on this shoot. Some stern looks are good in street shooting, but maybe an unending series of them is just too much for the average viewer.... My favorite are the fifth and the last, and in both shots there are hints of smiles at work and I hadn't made the connection, but I'm sure that's part of it...

-Ray

Hi Ray
In truth, they were a pretty glum bunch. And that had an effect on me i guess, and that is what i presented as a feel for the town. A lot of folk were riding on disability scooters or were on walking crutches, grey pasty smokers skin abounded, corpulence seems to be in epidemic proportions. It was pretty unremittingly glum to be there.

I was wondering where you had been......and there haven't been many posts on the street thread either.

Cheers

Pete

Hi Ray
I was wondering where you had been......and there haven't been many posts on the street thread either.
I've been around a bit but probably less than usual - a bit of a lull. No real street shooting since that street fair a couple of weeks ago (maybe longer?). The whole site's been sort of sleepy and I've been doing my part!

-Ray

Nice series Pete. Looks like you've kept pp to a minimum - the shots look very natural. I like Weymouth. Went there to watch beach motocross a few times and especially liked the views from Portland. Only had a Canon G5 when I was last that way so must revisit the place. Possibly not the best seaside town for street down that way though. I fancy Brighton..

Nice series Pete. Looks like you've kept pp to a minimum - the shots look very natural. I like Weymouth. Went there to watch beach motocross a few times and especially liked the views from Portland. Only had a Canon G5 when I was last that way so must revisit the place. Possibly not the best seaside town for street down that way though. I fancy Brighton..

Hi Norman. The historic dock area was nice enough......lots of out of towers visiting. But the town high street area was pretty grim. So very few people seemed happy.

We are staying in Portland.......just by the heights. Caught a couple of sunsets and am up for sunrise. All flickr'd up!

Cheers
Pete.

Back