Ricoh GRD4 fw 1.17, antishake gone?

Hi everybody!

Just got this little gem & updated fw, but it seems to me antishake has gone in real life situations, as stated in the new firmware documentation.
"Changed the image stabilizer control. Using [P] / [A] / mode, the camera will take a picture without the image stabilizer function when the shutter speed is less than 1 second, even if [Camera Shake Correction] is set to [On]."

Just updated, tried it, and shake reduction doesn't work for example at 1/6, in a. It still works in scene mode.
Why? I can't see the rationale for this. Not an improvement for me.

Sounds like it SHOULD work at 1/6, but wouldn't work at slower than one second. The rationale being that for exposures slower than 1 second you'd be using a tripod anyway and you wouldn't want stabilization - this just saves you having to turn it off. If its really not working at shutter speeds faster than one second, that doesn't make any sense at all. You sure its not working at 1/6???

-Ray

Sounds like it SHOULD work at 1/6, but wouldn't work at slower than one second. The rationale being that for exposures slower than 1 second you'd be using a tripod anyway and you wouldn't want stabilization - this just saves you having to turn it off. If its really not working at shutter speeds faster than one second, that doesn't make any sense at all. You sure its not working at 1/6???

-Ray

Ray,

I agree with you, in that this is how it should work.
But it's not, as it's not working at 1/6 in "A", while it clearly works in "scene" mode.
I'm baffled, unless I'm missing something it would be better for me to go back to 1.15.

Very strange indeed. I just saw a thread in the Ricoh forum on DPR about the problems some folks are having upgrading - sounds like Ricoh changed how it works. But nothing additional over there about this particular question...

IS was one of the few features on the GRD4 that I ended up seeing as an actual advantage over the GRD3 after trying them. I stuck with the 3, but if I'd gotten the 4 and lost IS, I'd be bummed too. Hopefully they'll get this sorted, but it does sounds like it does what they say it will do, rather than what you'd THINK it should do...

-Ray

Well,

it seems the problem was solved by itself, at least in my case.
I'm returning the camera, since I've noticed an issue with the lens (softness on the right side).
On the next one, I'm going to keep 1.15 firmware, definitely!

I just tried a few shots with IS on and then IS off and could not tell the shots apart - which makes me think I have lost IS since upgrading firmware too. Tallys with a drop in keepers I was getting recently with my street work. I've raised the issue over at the DPR Ricoh forums and will see what response I get.

Could be my testing was faulty. I only reviewed the shots on the LCD and zoomed in to check focus. I was shooting at between 1/10s and 1/25s for 4 different shots. I'd expect to see some difference show up. Recently I did a quick test of a zoom lens tripod mounted with my Sony 5N at slow shutter speed. 1 picture with self timer and 1 without and was very surprised at how much sharper the shot with self timer was. That is the kind of difference I'd expect from IS on the GRD IV.

Back