Music Green Onions - Drumming

Petach

Hall of Famer
Name
Peter Tachauer
I always wanted to be a drummer like Keith Moon or John Bonham....but without the drug fueled death wish, but I was never prepared to do the ground work such as hours practise of paradiddles, understanding note timings, phrasing etc. I always had a sense of rhythm and could tap my fingers to pretty much any tune. I decided at the ripe old age of 67 to try to learn. Until then I had never bashed the skins. Within 4 weeks I actually had a public appearance at a local church hall (thinking big hey?) drumming to Green Onions by Booker T. (I later learned that his drummer was murdered by his Mrs due to his being a bt loose with women....maybe it was by a Tom-Tom Tommy Gun?)

Anyways, cutting to the chase, I hope Booker T would be proud of me. Here we go

I always wanted to be a drummer like Keith Moon or John Bonham....but without the drug fueled death wish, but I was never prepared to do the ground work such as hours practise of paradiddles, understanding note timings, phrasing etc. I always had a sense of rhythm and could tap my fingers to pretty much any tune. I decided at the ripe old age of 67 to try to learn. Until then I had never bashed the skins. Within 4 weeks I actually had a public appearance at a local church hall (thinking big hey?) drumming to Green Onions by Booker T. (I later learned that his drummer was murdered by his Mrs due to his being a bt loose with women....maybe it was by a Tom-Tom Tommy Gun?)

Nice one. With an unbelievable coincidence I'm listening to Otis Redding while reading this and listening to you... and most of the Booker T. band were part of Otis's band.... as well as The Blues Brothers' band. Bizarre!

Nice drumming! Based on that performance I see you as more of a Charlie Watts than a Moon or a Bonham. Or possibly that bloke in Chas 'n' Dave who was neither Chas nor Dave. Good stuff anyway.

-R
Thank you Richard. My drum teacher (a delightful young lady) is steering me towards Jazz and Blues. Slightly more difficult with Parkinsons and trying to be subtle with the movements of my chops....I am more like ZZ Top as you will see here with my rendition of "Tush" on flickr.

cheers: Pete

I think you're doing a fine job there. Those fills can't be easy and I don't think I could even hold down a steady rhythm like that if I tried. I always seem to follow what the guitar is doing when I tap along to songs on the radio.

(Incidentally, did you know that Frank Beard, the drummer in ZZ Top, was the only guy in the band who didn't have an extravagant beard?)

-R

I think you're doing a fine job there. Those fills can't be easy and I don't think I could even hold down a steady rhythm like that if I tried. I always seem to follow what the guitar is doing when I tap along to songs on the radio.

(Incidentally, did you know that Frank Beard, the drummer in ZZ Top, was the only guy in the band who didn't have an extravagant beard?)

-R
Thanks for the comment...I knew about the lack of Bard/beard. Also Dusty Hill's death at age 72. Must have left a big gap. I do like to drum along to their stuff. Really gritty and needs it loud

I know a very accomplished drummer here I believe he's around 70. He teaches about 10 student drummers, and about half are older adults who "always wanted to..." - many of them ladies which surprised me. He told me they generally do very well; they want to be there and will put in the effort. So hang in there, for me at least playing music immeasurably enriches my life and the return on investment is through the roof.

Good accompaniment. I am a big Booker T and the MGs fan. Their cover of Abbey Road is fantastic. When in Memphis, forget about Graceland. Go to Stax Records. The building has been reconstructed and there is a music school there now too. Don’t forget about Sun Records studio there. The original studio and equipment that Elvis recorded on is still there

Good accompaniment. I am a big Booker T and the MGs fan. Their cover of Abbey Road is fantastic. When in Memphis, forget about Graceland. Go to Stax Records. The building has been reconstructed and there is a music school there now too. Don’t forget about Sun Records studio there. The original studio and equipment that Elvis recorded on is still there
thanks for the info, appreciated. Recently saw a documentary about Clive Davis ("Clive Davis - The soundtrack of our lives") who had a hand in Stax for a while. Compelling watching if you can find it. Now there was an interesting guy. ........https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stax_Records

Back