Film Greetings!

Armanius

Bring Jack back!
Name
Jack
Greetings film lovers! I'm a veteran of all of Amin Sabet's forums. Happy to be here, although I may not be contributing too much to the forum. My film fetish seems to have passed, because digital is so much more convenient. My only film camera is an old Leica M7 with the 0.85 viewfinder. Last time I used it was about 4-5 years ago.

Greetings: I know you! Why don't you throw some film in that wonderful M7 and treat us to the results! Terrible to have such a nice piece of kit being wasted. Or sell it to me!

Just kidding. I can't be buying any cameras right now, though I think of it all the time.

@Armanius - glad to see you here! I have been pondering the purchase of an M7 (or perhaps an MP). Post some photos, talk about the camera, and push me over the edge like old time :friends:.

Thanks folks! Cameras without any electronics scare me! I can't meter on my own!

Oh, bet you could!

Meters give you an exposure averaged to medium gray. If you need it lighter, you give it more exposure, if you need it darker, you give it less exposure. Once you test any quirks in your particular meter and apply that principle, it's pretty easy. Want a white wall?: open up two stops, or a bit less if you want something less bright white. Black or dark grey with full texture: give it two stops less exposure. Those are rules of thumb that you can change to fit development and your particular film. But they are still a good starting point.

The principles are pretty basic. Even the zone system can be boiled down to a few basic facts.

Oh, bet you could!

Meters give you an exposure averaged to medium gray. If you need it lighter, you give it more exposure, if you need it darker, you give it less exposure. Once you test any quirks in your particular meter and apply that principle, it's pretty easy. Want a white wall?: open up two stops, or a bit less if you want something less bright white. Black or dark grey with full texture: give it two stops less exposure. Those are rules of thumb that you can change to fit development and your particular film. But they are still a good starting point.

The principles are pretty basic. Even the zone system can be boiled down to a few basic facts.

You lost me at medium gray!! :)

Back