Leica Guangzhou China Trip

M. Valdemar

Top Veteran
I just came back from 10 days in Guangzhou, China. China is so far ahead of the USA that it makes USA seem like 3rd world country. Vibrant middle class, gleaming new architecture, wonderful food.

I had a fantastic time, I wish I had stayed longer. All these shots with Lumix GX85, 25mm Summilux, kit lens, or 7-14mm Lumix lens.

res2.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
res3.jpg
res4.jpg
res5.jpg
res8.jpg
res9.jpg
res10.jpg
res11.jpg
res14.jpg
res15.jpg
res17.jpg
res2.jpg
res3.jpg
res4.jpg
res5.jpg
res8.jpg
res9.jpg
res10.jpg
res11.jpg
res14.jpg
res15.jpg
res17.jpg
res16.jpg
res2.jpg
res3.jpg
res4.jpg
res5.jpg
res8.jpg
res9.jpg
res10.jpg
res11.jpg
res14.jpg
res15.jpg
res17.jpg
res16.jpg
res2.jpg
res3.jpg
res4.jpg
res5.jpg
res8.jpg
res9.jpg
res10.jpg
res11.jpg
res14.jpg
res15.jpg
res17.jpg
res16.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
g2.jpg
Sorry, somehow I posted multiple images in the previous post. Here are some more.

china1.jpg
china3.jpg
china4.jpg
dim1.jpg
dim2.jpg
dim6.jpg
dim7.jpg
dim15.jpg
dim8.jpg
dim9.jpg
dim10.jpg
dim11.jpg
g1.jpg
g3.jpg
g4.jpg
g5.jpg

Ah, nice photos!

I think what makes China a developing world is its way of doing things. USA doesn't have that many fancy buildings but things work out much better. When I came to US a few years back I was stunned how sturdy glass bottles are.

I found out that there was a street in Guangzhou where there were dozens of shops that specialized in used cameras. I really wanted to go there to look and see what was available, maybe even pick up a Shanghai Leica copy, but I was unable to get there.

Unfortunately, I was on the trip for company business and to attend the Canton Trade Fair, so my time was mostly not my own. I'd love to go back and do some camera geekery in a future trip.

I think I've exhaustively covered all the Tokyo spots, even the flea markets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately, I was on the trip for company business and to attend the Canton Trade Fair, so my time was mostly not my own. I'd love to go back and so some camera geekery in a future trip.

Your company should understand these things! You sure that this isn't "QC research, and examining high-end Chinese products made over the past decades will give a unique insight into the quality control mechanisms employed in the country since it's foundation"?

Random thoughts:

"Street Photography" is a much-loved "art form" amongst photography aficionados. You can find hundreds of websites, books and forums dedicated to the art.

It's arguable (and probable) that the introduction of the Leica camera is what caused the whole trend of "street photography" to take off. This was the first camera that was easy to carry in a coat pocket and be instantly ready for photography. It was small, light, and always available.

To me, it seems the whole concept of "street photography" is now an outdated concept.

EVERYONE is a "street photographer". Smartphones are the 21st century Leicas. Easy to carry in a coat pocket and are instantly ready for photography. They are small, light, and always available. The image quality is far better than the Leica of the 1930's to 1970's.

There is an image explosion the likes of which have never been seen in human history. EVERYTHING is recorded and documented.

I find it is harder and harder for "fine art photography" to be relevant.

Disclaimer: I still carry a "good" camera when I travel. Lately the Lumix GX85. I can't carry my Nikon DSLR and even Leica stuff all over anymore. Too heavy and bulky for me. (especially on overseas trips where I have to lug all my own bags)

I can see the day when I will use nothing but a smartphone. My Nexus 6P takes wonderful images. For most purposes I don't need anything else, but I feel naked on a trip without another camera.

The millennial whippersnappers who were on the trip with me to China don't feel that way. iPhones all the way. They used them for everything, uploaded to the "cloud" and didn't have a care in the world about images of a "higher quality".

I'm a gear geek and love the old and new stuff, but taking it with me everywhere is increasingly a problem. Maybe one of age (I'm over 60), maybe just a technological shift.

I purchased a mobile phone partially because of its good camera. I don't like using it as a camera, though. I'll reluctantly use it if I need to capture something that won't wait. I don't bond with it at all: What's there to bond with?

My adult kids? Won't touch a dedicated camera anymore. Sigh. Does not bode well. "Here's a great small camera to take on your trip! Just be sure to charge the battery here and there." Get 'em hooked with a small m4/3, I snicker to myself. "Ehm, sure dad."

A perusal of flickr can show you some great photography done on cell phones. Of course tons more dreck, but a photographer *can* use them to make superb photos and some do that near exclusively.

On a positive note. My dad who's been a photography nut since his dad got him into it hasn't shot full-frame since the decline of film. For me, after the SL purchase, the M240 was mostly just sitting. So a quick trip to the Fedex outlet, and a few days later my dad is out shooting his legacy M-mount lenses on a camera that that can fully use them. He's having a blast with it, and really loves its dedicated manual controls. So neat to be able to do something to make him smile!

Your company should understand these things! You sure that this isn't "QC research, and examining high-end Chinese products made over the past decades will give a unique insight into the quality control mechanisms employed in the country since it's foundation"?

Um, er, ah... ROTFLMAO.

Back