Micro 4/3 GX1+20mm on a cold day out

Iansky

All-Pro
Snow last night but almost gone today, thawing fast but I wanted to capture a few gritty images.

I went to the park hoping to capture lots of people in a "Lowryesque" style - alas, almost empty! grabbed 3 images then went out to a disused gravel pit to capture the workings and disused rusting machines - results below:

Park_walk_SFX.jpg

Woodland_walk_SFX.jpg

Tree_line_SFX.jpg

Dereliction_SFX.jpg

Rusting_SFX.jpg

Platform_SFX.jpg

Love the series, Iansky... off to research Lowry now.

I also really dig the first shot of the gravel pit. Makes you wonder what is going on just over the hill. :)

Thanks Kyle,

Lowry used to paint a lot of images with "Matchstick people" as the main subjects and I was hoping there would be loads of people in the park as the depth, misty sky, tree line and frosty ground would have worked..........alas not enough people!

I'm curious about your processing too!
Like the previous set you posted, these photos are just full of life and really pull you in - somehow you manage to give a 40mm equivalent FOV give the drama of a (super)wide-angle!

I'm curious about your processing too!
Like the previous set you posted, these photos are just full of life and really pull you in - somehow you manage to give a 40mm equivalent FOV give the drama of a (super)wide-angle!

I tend to think of the Panasonic 20mmm lens as more of a long wide-angle lens than a short standard lens. Both numerically and in practise it is closer to a 35mm focal length lens.

I mostly live at 24mm equivalent (and often wishing for wider), so for me 40mm is already deep into tele land :tongue:
24mm is very good if one can handle at that focal length. I always feel difficulty taking street shots and portraits with it, there is too much to balance with it and very difficult to manage a decent perception. 40mm on the otherhand gives you slight isolation of the subject, decent bokeh, and some background and foreground to add the right sense of scale and environment. But yes its totally subjective

You are really outdoing yourself. On screen these look great. I bet they are stunning in print. For me the third and fourth are impeccable - composition, exposure and post. They are begging to be printed.

Thanks all for the nice comments and for those who have asked, my shooting processing is as follows.

Camera - GX1 + 20mm.
Mostly shot at f4 in apertre priority ( the wider landscape water/machines in distance at f8) at 160ISO
All images shot in Raw

Processing wise I use Adobe Photoshop / ACR for basic editing and do the usual standard edits of tone/colour/contrast /exposure / sharpening then use the Silver Efex Pro2 plug in for my B&W conversion and depending on how the image looks and the effect I want, I will choose the relevant effect from the options offerred - I will then tweak structure / tone / vignetting / border as I see fit and return to photoshop to review and do any final tweaking (I do find that quite often I have to pull back on levels for converted images), then save as a Tiff, resize and save as JPEG for web posting - Amen.

I do find Silver Efex Pro a superb convertor and better than anything else for getting the results that I like - it is very much a personal thing but well worth a try and you can go onto the Nik website and download a free trial ( well worth it).

When I picked up my GX1 I also got a voucher for a free copy of Lightroom3 - this is in the UK so not sure how wide it goes, offer runs until sometime in Mar so worth going for ( check with retailer first as only available through recognised dealers).

I mostly live at 24mm equivalent (and often wishing for wider), so for me 40mm is already deep into tele land :tongue:

I did consider the 14mm but prefer to shoot my street (and most other things) using the 20mm as it gives me better seperation of subject from background and I tend to stick with f4 for my street to get that 3D effect the 20mm gives, the 14mm is good but for my street DOF is too deep even at wider apertures.

Very much a case of "Horses for courses".

Back