Micro 4/3 GX1+25mm at 640 ISO

Iansky

All-Pro
I took this image yesterday in available light - GX1+25mm - 1/60 @ f2.5 - 640 ISO.

I am very pleased with this and it shows what the GX1 + 25mm is capable of at higher ISO's - a vast improvement on what my old faithful GF1 used to give me.

Jo_Little_2.jpg

Ian, do you mean 640 or 6400? I could do OK at 640 with my GF1 - I used it a lot at 800 but 1600 was a real stretch and forget about anything beyond. I know the new Panys will do 3200 reasonably well so i was thinking this might be 6400 with some NR applied?

-Ray

To my eyes the GX1/G3 RAWs are about 2 stops better than the GF1's at high ISO. Still I'd be very very suprised if this was shot at 6400, which is almost unusable on those cameras IMHO (even with NR).

Yes Ray I do mean 640.

My GF1 was a great camera that served me well for 2yrs, 640 was usable but did suffer from pretty heavy noise that could not be corrected efficiently and 800 was right on the limit.

I will try higher ISO's when I get time.

To my eyes the GX1/G3 RAWs are about 2 stops better than the GF1's at high ISO. Still I'd be very very suprised if this was shot at 6400, which is almost unusable on those cameras IMHO (even with NR).

Hi Julien - I agree, and that is my experience as well so a valid improvement over the GF1.

Very compelling Ian, and I'd look forward to some +1600 samples too to really convince me to upgrade from the GF1 ;)

What I have noticed in my recent comparisons, and would love to be proved wrong here, are the two cameras capability at base ISO. So far from what I have seen the ISO100 files from the old GF1 sensor seem cleaner than those from the GX1/G3 at ISO 160. Not meaning to come across as contrary but realise that I shoot more at base ISO than anything else.

I agree

Very compelling Ian, and I'd look forward to some +1600 samples too to really convince me to upgrade from the GF1 ;)

What I have noticed in my recent comparisons, and would love to be proved wrong here, are the two cameras capability at base ISO. So far from what I have seen the ISO100 files from the old GF1 sensor seem cleaner than those from the GX1/G3 at ISO 160. Not meaning to come across as contrary but realise that I shoot more at base ISO than anything else.

I know how you feel, it took me a while to be convinced to part with my GF1 and get the GX1 but I have to say in hindsight it was/is for me a worthy move.

I find the GX1 more comfortable to carry with the better grip, build to my mind is a touch better than the GF1 with better buttons - AF is poles apart though and compared to GF1 is instant!

I have to admit the base ISO of GF1 was superb but have to admit to being happy with base ISO of GX1 and find the highlight detail holds better.

Yet to try it at the 1600/3200 settings but will post results when I do.

These are three from base ISO:

Colours.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Size_perspective_of_Taj_Mahal.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The_Eyes_have_it1.jpg

OMG Ian!!!! :eek: These images are simply superb! I mean we are talking 98% the work of the photographer here, but I concede the GX1 holds its own. Better AF and dynamic range makes for a very compelling argument. Maybe I'll just have to wait a little longer for the GX1's prices to fall within my ballpark.

Thanks again for sharing. Honestly mate I don't care what you have in hand I very much enjoy your offerings. so please keep them coming....though I'm partial to seeing more from the PL25....glad to find others loving it as much as I :blush:

Thanks for the feedback.

I was delighted with the performance / IQ of the GX1 during my visit to friends in India and all images were shot at base ISO - most with the 45-175X that is a good lens but does not have the sharpness of image I experienced with my previous 45-200 so may go back to that.

For those interested in seeing more of the GX1 images from the trip, I have put a link here:

571 Photography

Thanks for looking,
Ian

Back