Ricoh GX200 anyone?

I've noticed that this Ricoh forum is overrun by posts about the GRDIII, and it certainly seems to be a really decent camera. In my prowling, looking for the "next best thing" whilst I am waiting to be able to get hands on with an X100 before I commit to a purchase, I have been periodically looking at the GX200.

I can get it here in Oz for $669 (AUD) and that includes the EVF. It seems like a good deal. It has the same 1/1.7 sensor, but has a 3x zoom (24-70-ish) and its a slim jim, unlike my G11 which is chunky, to say the least.

From DCW, where I'd probably buy it unless there were somewhere distinctly cheaper, with Oz warranty...
The new Ricoh GX200: able to reproduce high quality images from edge-to-edge with low noise and natural gradation, this camera succeeds the award winning Caplio GX100 compact digital camera introduced in April 2007. Inheriting the highly popular Caplio GX100 features such as a 24 to 72mm (35mm film equivalent focal length) high-performance wide-angle optical zoom lens in a 25mm thin pocket sized compact body, a wide variety of manual shooting functions, RAW file format, 1:1 image ratio mode, 1cm Macro, and a removable tilting electronic viewfinder. With a large wide-viewing angle 2.7-inch 460,000 pixel HVGA LCD, optical image stabilisation, and an electronic leveller function for horizontal and vertical shooting, the GX200 contains extensive shooting functions to enable camera lovers to enjoy and create stunning photographs. This includes the EVF (Electronic View Finder) attachment.

Anyone had any experience of this one?

Thanks for that, and an update:

I wandered in to the local camera store, not expecting to see any Ricoh, and they had one only GRDIII and it was $260 cheaper than the cheapest non-grey one I had found so far. So I bought it. On the spot. I think I am a camera tragic. It was $499 and they wouldn't go down any further, but given that DCW has it for $759... I decided to get it. It had been gathering dust on the shelves for some time (and I have cleaned that off now)

I think the Fuji might have to leave home now, as well as some of the other compacts I have not got in my sig :)

Hi kyteflyer,

You made a good choice in the GRD III. I've just seen your post about the GX200 and it was a good move not getting it. I had one and the noise was visible at ISO 100 and more so at ISO 200. After that, things go quickly down hill. 800 is pretty much unusable! I thought I would be able to live with it, but in reality and everyday shooting, it's impossible to always stay at base ISO. At ISO 64 everything was fine and it was a lovely camera to use, but soon became frustrating for the above reasons. I too have ended up with a GRD III and am very happy with it.

I hope you enjoy your new purchase. I'm sure you will ! :)

James

Thanks for that, and an update:

I wandered in to the local camera store, not expecting to see any Ricoh, and they had one only GRDIII and it was $260 cheaper than the cheapest non-grey one I had found so far. So I bought it. On the spot. I think I am a camera tragic. It was $499 and they wouldn't go down any further, but given that DCW has it for $759... I decided to get it. It had been gathering dust on the shelves for some time (and I have cleaned that off now)

I think the Fuji might have to leave home now, as well as some of the other compacts I have not got in my sig :)

GRD of a any version are superb!!!! Good catch!!!

Back