Micro 4/3 GX8 announced. 20.3mp, DFD, 4k video, IBIS works with lens stabilization, dust/water resistant.

Appears to be pretty large. I'm not surprised though. Everyone wants a good quality EVF, and that adds to the height and thickness of the Camera. I'll wait a few years. My E-PL5 still takes good enough images for me.

I think I prefer a tilting screen to articulated, and I'm not yet convinced of the benefits of a tilting viewfinder. And I definitely prefer a 3:2 aspect sensor to 4:3.

Apart from that it looks good.

-R

I prefer tilt over vari-angle as well especially for street photography. I guess video users will benefit more from the vari-angle OLED. you can change your ratio to 3:2 - that's how I shoot with my GX7 (16mp to 14mp). you'll lose some pixels, but at least you'll have 20mp to start from.

I think I prefer a tilting screen to articulated, and I'm not yet convinced of the benefits of a tilting viewfinder. And I definitely prefer a 3:2 aspect sensor to 4:3.

Apart from that it looks good.

-R
We may be the same guy except I KNOW I prefer a tilt screen to fully articulated. But right with you on the tilting EVF (had the RX1 and GX7 for a while and almost never tilted either) and the 3:2 ratio. Also will be curious if the sensor brings anything new to the game other than mega-pickles...

-Ray

I agree also. I hardly use any tilting evf and prefer the 3:2 ratio as most of the screens are wide now... You can check the raws that are available at Quesabesde:
Google Translate

We may be the same guy except I KNOW I prefer a tilt screen to fully articulated. But right with you on the tilting EVF (had the RX1 and GX7 for a while and almost never tilted either) and the 3:2 ratio. Also will be curious if the sensor brings anything new to the game other than mega-pickles...

-Ray

Appears to be pretty large. I'm not surprised though. Everyone wants a good quality EVF, and that adds to the height and thickness of the Camera. I'll wait a few years. My E-PL5 still takes good enough images for me.

It is notably larger than the GX7 was. The GX7 was roughly the size of the OMD E-M5 mII/E-M10 without the viewfinder on top. The GX8 is the size of the OMD E-M1 without the viewfinder. The GX7 was also right in between the E-M10 and E-M5 mII in width while the GX8 is 3mm wider than the E-M1.

But I think part of why it looks so big is due to the camera and lens combo on many sites. This first picture with the smaller lens and the extra around the lens mount I think makes the body look like the beast DPR comments it to be. But the second with the larger lens doesn't really to my eye. The second is the 14-140 and from that picture I think the GX8 would be well suited for the 12-35 & 35-100 f/2.8, SUMMILUX 25mm, and NOCTICRON 42.5mm. And given the asking price of the GX8 those pairings seem to make sense as well.

The body with those two zooms or the two primes would make a nice kit.

7365094113.jpg

3706798921.jpg

Well, that's another point. Wasn't 16mp supposed to be the sweet spot for micro four thirds sensors?

-R

Base on diffraction many commented that it was. But a 20mp sensor in an LX100 mII would be nice.(y)

Well, that's another point. Wasn't 16mp supposed to be the sweet spot for micro four thirds sensors?

-R
^
no clue. that would be hard to say since there was nothing over 16mp to compare with. but it being their high-end camera, i'm sure lots of fashion and portrait folks will appreciate it, and pretty much those that want to print a little larger maybe?
I agree also. I hardly use any tilting evf and prefer the 3:2 ratio as most of the screens are wide now... You can check the raws that are available at Quesabesde:
Google Translate
^
though the sensor is a 4:3 ratio, the screen is actually 3:2. another reason why I shoot 3:2 on my GX7. and because of that, the added mp will help from cropping below 16mp.

so many times shooting upwards on flowers from down low with my X-E2 and i wished it had a flip screen. at least it's there for many who would use it. i'm excited for the video side. my GX7 takes really good video especially for only being 28 Mbps. some things I kept asking for was a higher bitrate in a GX7 successor with some cinema/gamma profiles, a larger EVF magnification, and pixel-shift (IBIS) working with video. well, Pany gave two of those three. having a tilt screen and when using it, it was nice to be able to flip the EVF out of the way because of the sensor blanking out the tilt screen. that was the only real use I got out of it. but it having a vari-angle screen now, I guess we'll see how that works out.

It is notably larger than the GX7 was. The GX7 was roughly the size of the OMD E-M5 mII/E-M10 without the viewfinder on top. The GX8 is the size of the OMD E-M1 without the viewfinder. The GX7 was also right in between the E-M10 and E-M5 mII in width while the GX8 is 3mm wider than the E-M1.

But I think part of why it looks so big is due to the camera and lens combo on many sites. This first picture with the smaller lens and the extra around the lens mount I think makes the body look like the beast DPR comments it to be. But the second with the larger lens doesn't really to my eye. The second is the 14-140 and from that picture I think the GX8 would be well suited for the 12-35 & 35-100 f/2.8, SUMMILUX 25mm, and NOCTICRON 42.5mm. And given the asking price of the GX8 those pairings seem to make sense as well.

The body with those two zooms or the two primes would make a nice kit.

Base on diffraction many commented that it was. But a 20mp sensor in an LX100 mII would be nice.[emoji106]
^
it would still be nice for street with some of Oly's small lenses.

the GX8 body is just a tad larger than my bare X-E2. i'm totally fine with that. since its their high-end camera, it would balance well with both Pany and Oly's high-end lenses. here's a size comparison between my GX7 and X-E2 with RRS grip (which I don't see the GX8 being bigger than it).

IMG_20150320_121658_zpsu3hiybwm.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Can't wait for Sony joining the party with a full-frame sensor in a NEX body (just for the fun of seeing them continue what they're best at).
^
I think Sony would be joining their own party loll. that reminds me of something Philip Bloom said in his rather excellent review on the Sony FS7 - he says something about Sony taking on the competition by bringing something incredibly aggressive into the marketplace, though they're only competing with themselves.

I think because Sony and Pany being the main two moving forward with 4K (internally because not everyone is going to rig it with an external recorder like many video prosumers would), it would require a bigger body than what the current NEX is due to heat issues coming from a larger sensor. maybe something the size of the
A7 series. and if they were to add their current IBIS design, it would still require a bigger body again, essentially what the A7 II series is.
I just wish that my GH1 had a touchscreen.
^
i've had the EM1 for a short while way back when it first came out. i didn't really care for it. then when i tried Pany's implementation, i loved it. now, i want it on my Fujis as long as it's implemented well. and it would free up a Fn button or four.

I really like the look and implementations of the GX8. Physically, it looks like my ideal camera. But I don't think I will be getting it.

It's just the current images that I'm seeing. Just not feeling it.

Back