Ricoh GXR a few Questions

smash

Regular
A few question about the GXR with the 50mm lens.

Has anyone seen dust on the sensor, I have seen a couple of people say this has happened which is highly annoying as my GRD 3 hasn't had this issue and thought it was resolved.

Is the camera pocketable in a coat pocket? I had the GXR with P10 mount last year and that fitted but is the 50mm too long?

Can the camera take a decent picture in low light, for example indoors, 50mm, f2.5, shutter higher than 1/30 and iso of 1600?

No image stabilisation, do the images suffer much in low light with hand held shots?

I was going to save for a Fuji X100 it has everything I wanted except this problem with the sticky blades has left me cold, so I am looking at other avenues and a Ricoh GXR with 50mm lens has turned up in a local shop at a decent price.

A few question about the GXR with the 50mm lens.

Has anyone seen dust on the sensor, I have seen a couple of people say this has happened which is highly annoying as my GRD 3 hasn't had this issue and thought it was resolved.

No, I have not seen this issues. I do hardwood floors and carpentry. I am a professional dust maker and I have the camera with me all the time. No dust issue, so far.

Is the camera pocketable in a coat pocket? I had the GXR with P10 mount last year and that fitted but is the 50mm too long?

Yes, no problem. I am using the 50 more than the 28 at the moment. I wear a leather jacket with a hoodie and the camera fits easily. The added bonus of course is the free built in lens hood.

Can the camera take a decent picture in low light, for example indoors, 50mm, f2.5, shutter higher than 1/30 and iso of 1600?

Yes, high ISO is a cinch. I do mostly B&W so I look for a somewhat grainy image but not a noisy one. There's a difference. If you can hold the camera steady, you'll have no problems. Fortunately, the body and lens each have some weight to them. Combined, it makes a very steady camera.

No image stabilisation, do the images suffer much in low light with hand held shots?

No, if you can steady up and know how to breathe with a camera.
I was going to save for a Fuji X100 it has everything I wanted except this problem with the sticky blades has left me cold, so I am looking at other avenues and a Ricoh GXR with 50mm lens has turned up in a local shop at a decent price.

If it's a good price, go for it but the most important decision should be the Focal Length and not the stupid blade issue. I am sure that Fuji would honor any issue with the camera. We are just waiting to see what happens with after warranty cameras of all types.
Don

Despite being one of the more prolific writers on the Fujifilm X100's manufacturing defect, I completely agree with Don - don't let the sticky aperture blade issue scare you away from the X100 if you know that what you really want is a fixed lens 35mm effective field of view camera that produces excellent image quality. If you aren't sure... well then another camera, such as the GXR, probably is a safer bet.

Smash, what the Fuji does is give you 1 FOV. For me, 35mm is my natural FOV. It does it great and eliminates any decision about lenses. This is an important issue because it forces you to see in that FOV.

I have the GXR with the 28, 50 & S10.
I prefer the 50 over the 28 because many moons ago with my M's, I started to explore the 50's possibilities. After about a year I went digital.
That ended that exercise. So my mind still wants to do that exercise and now it can with the GXR. I use the 28 maybe 30%.

Here's the great thing. I dont like jpegs, always raw.
When I want to work on a series I'm doing with high contrast, which also roots from film, I use the S10 in High Contrast jpeg. So the GXR is more that just one camera. It is many that accommodates itself to your needs.
The Fuji can't do that.

You should base your decision carefully on your needs.
Personally, I like the way the GXR configures itself to my needs without changing UI.
Don

Thanks for the replies, I just noticed here in the UK this very week quite a few X100 going up for sale 2nd hand so thought about picking one up but then read about this blade problem and thought hmm wonder if the warranty would transfer to a new user. Then suddenly I noticed a shop nearby has a Ricoh GXR with 50mm lens as ex display for 30% off the retail price so it became a factor as this is £150 GBP cheaper than the 2nd hand X100. I just have to decide what would fit my purpose better.

I like the 40mm lens of my Sigma but the indoor shots are pretty bad, so a camera that has similar image output to this but can work indoors without flash would be ideal.

Someone has mentioned I should give the Fuji X10 a thought but I am not sure about that sensor.

smash: used X100's are a problem as Fujifilm will not honour the original warranty. You'd need to purchase a used X100 from someone who is willing to handle the warranty issues (if any) on your behalf. I made that commitment to the buyer of my camera, and had already had the warranty replacement of the lens assembly done - and for that reason I got a very fair price, not terribly far off retail as cameras here are inexplicably in short supply. This issue has taught me that warranty service for a $1000 dollar plus camera is important, more important than I have considered in the past certainly when buying film cameras.

Either way you go, the X100 or GXR will provide you with a tool that you can use to produce excellent images. Personally I'm biased towards more adaptable cameras like the GXR, after having used the X100 extensively, so I sold mine. I miss it only because I haven't replaced it with another serious compact.

As I'm still looking for an X100 replacement, and as the NEX-7 appears to be on hold until sometime next year, perhaps quite a while next year, I'm continuing to give serious thought to buying a GXR myself. Ironically one of the key issues holding me back right now is the availability of warranty service. I live in Canada - there is no retail distribution of the GXR here at all. Does anyone happen to know how or if I can obtain warranty service on the camera or a module?

You could buy the camera from B&H. I could register it for you and if a warranty issue arises, your covered. I'd handle it. Just an offer.

The X100.... My daughter sold hers and the buyer sent it in for repair. Fuji quoted $600.00 USD for lens replacement. It seems that they no longer warrant a second hand camera even tho they have a manufacturing defect.
A month ago a member at RFF had the same issue but they covered it. I guess with all the returns, they aren't happy with the expenses.

Having used my E-P2 from the beginning it seems that in the long run the GXR is the better cam for me. At the time of the GXR introduction only a 50mm module was available, too long for me as a WA shooter..... The Pen with the 14-42, 17 and 20mm was more flexible and the colors are amazing (in my eyes), but the GXR has more muscles now. The 28mm module and the M mount makes this cam very universal PLUS the terrific UI. So at the end the Ricoh is the 'better' cam with a larger sensor. This isn't so dramatic and I don't want to miss my Pen pics which I've made and the comfortable feeling while shooting.
If I had to decide now the Ricoh would be my first choice.......

You could buy the camera from B&H. I could register it for you and if a warranty issue arises, your covered. I'd handle it. Just an offer.

Don, that's incredibly nice of you to make that offer, thanks so much.

Ok, I'll put that worry out of my head while I contemplate life and cameras a bit today.

Mike

What hasn't been mentioned yet is what I believe is now a major benefit to owning the GXR is its modularity. In the past, this has been considered its biggest weakness, as it only had two APS-C lens modules and many who poo poo'ed the two zoom modules. However, you now have the M Mount module which gives the camera an almost limitless capability.

So far in my short time using Ricoh's and their firmware updates to existing and older cameras, I see no reason why if and when they update their body, their original modules would still work. Plus for those that have an investment in M mount lenses or those like me who may begin to accumulate them, I feel my investment will not be for not.

Plus, I just wonder if they don't have plans for a FF M mount module in the works?

Then there is the button customization and menu screen that is written in plain language. (There's review on the this site just posted about the lastest Samsung camera, not sure what model as I'm typing this, but I about gagged when I saw an image of the Menu System displayed on the LCD.)

CYkEtv4n1UkCbPFBrJoC.jpg

Soooo, I'm feeling comfortable working with my GXR and its ease of use once you have it configured the way you want to work.

Another clone of the Panasonic GF that Samsung, very much dislike, I wished all cameras had dials and switches.

Certainly feel at the price of the X100 I would want more than a 1 year warranty incase of any hiccups and also with a non transferable warranty for 2nd hand cameras, it is putting me off. I suppose a saving grace for the GXR is if something goes wrong it is half of the camera that can be saved.

Another question, regarding manual focus when using the P10 module, the manual focus zoomed up the centre portion of the lcd think 4x but the image was so pixelated that it was unusuable to focus with. This was last year, does anyone if this problem has been resolved in a firmware or should I say is this coherent with the A12 modules?

So.... to follow up on my GXR journey, despite all the help and my own intentions, I bailed on the idea. I wasn't able to find a source for both the GXR and M mount A12 module and A12/28mm in the U.S. and since the latter two parts are those more likely to fail (moving parts), I decided to buy something closer to home and picked up a NEX-5N. That I already had a high quality adapter for my M lenses played a small role in the decision but in the end expediency, and a little curiosity too, won over.

I'd always wanted to try the diminutive NEX even though the body style doesn't immediately grab me. I've had the 5N for a couple of days. My initial reaction was "oh no", because I don't much like the feel and construction of it. But the little bugger grows on me more and more although ergonomically I'm not always finding it a good fit. IF the NEX-7 can handle my manual focus glass properly, chances are that camera and my hands will get on better.

Notice I've not once talked about image quality. I'm pleased with what I can get out of the 5N and I've just begun to scratch the surface.

The 5N just doesn't feel like it will stand up to the rigors being carried everywhere, every day, and used frequently.

At this point I'm going to carry on using the 5N until I have a chance to evaluate the NEX-7. If the 7 can't cut it... I'll probably hunt down a GXR wherever in the world I can find one, or maybe Ricoh will have some new surprise to unleash upon us by then. I hope Ricoh continues to invest in the GXR platform and idea.

Thanks to all that answered my GXR questions in this and other threads. I've a feeling I'll be joining you folks soon enough but for now the little 5N will do.

Oh. No.

I'm looking at the GXR again. Not waiting for the Sony NEX-7. The NEX-5N just isn't for me. I also don't think the NEX will stand up to the rigors of every day use.

(I found a GXR and other bits in the U.S. Yay!)

Cool! Did you order the M module and the 28 then?

I had a little gear itch a couple weeks ago for a new body and picked up the GXR with 28mm. I really like the interface and love the images from the 28. I told myself I was one and done for modules, but now because of the great experience with the GXR, I am tempted to try out the 50 or possibly even the M mount.

I've just ordered the GXR, Mount A12 (M module), and the LCD Viewfinder[1] from some very nice folks in Oregon who have all this in stock and are getting it out overnight today to some equally nice folks at a package handling service in Blaine WA just on the other side of the border.

I'm tempted by the 28 or 50 modules but want to get some experience with the camera first.

The experiences shared and photos from you Ricoh folks were helpful to me. Earlier this week I ran into another Vancouverite who has the GXR and he echos much of the sentiment. Finding one I could pick up from an authorized Ricoh dealer in the U.S., in stock (I've dealt with Popflash before but sadly they had no stock) was the straw that broke the camels back.

[1] Don - I've very much enjoyed the discussion about seeing with the LCD on the back. I think I might just do more of that with an AF module but for manual focus I do seem to need the view from the finder.

Back