Ricoh GXR-M on LL

Lightmancer

Legend
Name
Bill Palmer
An interesting and well written take on the M Module on Luminous Landscape. I concur with most of what's been said. It's spoiled in part for me by a couple of things -

"The M9 is the only current M camera from Leica."

and

"Finally, it musn't be ignored that while GXR-M can take all M and compatible lenses (and only these), the Sonys take not only M compatible lenses but also Sony's E series autofocus lenses, Sony's full line of A series lenses with Phase Detection autofocus via their new LA-EA2 adaptor, and a wide range of other brand lenses as well via third party adaptors."

Both are untrue. The first sounds like a straight oversight but the second is misleading. The GXR also takes "...a wide range of other brand lenses as well via third party adaptors" - I should know, since I am using both Leitax'ed Leica R and Nikon lenses on mine with a single Novoflex adaptor.

Beyond that it is a more than useful review.

Don, if you would buy the M-mount module, then you might finally sell me on the GXR, but right now I'm more than happy with the NEX. :) The GXR does sound like a wonderful camera though and this review only confirmed that to me more.

Travis, I really love the Nex. The screen itself is the best bar none.
My issue is the interface is like uh...uh, I can't say how much I hate it.
Now the GXR is THE Photographers camera.
I'm loving the 2 A12 units. Compact with great glass. The M unit is not on my radar...Yet!

Don, I've never used a Ricoh. Never even held one. I have a feeling I might like one if I did, but I'm not sure where I would ever see one. I don't know of a Ricoh dealer anywhere near here. I guess I could buy online and return it if I didn't like it, but then I run the risk of liking it and having to keep it. :)

Travis, The GXR is not the camera to take for a test ride. If you order it, you will keep it. I had no intentions of the GXR. My daughter got it for me for a B'day present and actually it was a mistake. At any rate, now I wonder how I ever lived with out it. So, order if you like but be forewarned.... you will keep it. Like all cameras it has it's flaws. Art has flaws. That's what makes art so human, the same for cameras.
The interface is beyond compare. I guess maybe the M9 because of the simplicity of design but the GXR gives everything to you in a way that makes it a very personal shooting experience.

I'm not pushing you to it but warning you of the issue that exist with it.
There are very few ever sold used. There's a reason for that.....
don

Back