Ricoh GXR Mount A12 Pictures

Country Parson

Top Veteran
Name
Dan
I recently added the GXR Mount to my kit. I have only one lens for it, a Voigtlander 15mm. I would like to see what others are doing with the Mount. Most of what I have taken so far are family pictures, but here is one from a recent trip to Ohio. I am used to seeing monuments like this in the South but have rarely seen them in the North.

OhioCW.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Duane, I do not have so-called "legacy lenses" so I hesitated, but decided that the more affordable Voigtlander lenses are worth a try, so I bought one, and then waited for the Mount to come back in stock. It is a different experience since I am not using the EVF. I use the GXR version of peeking on the screen coupled with the depth of field scale on the lens. So far I am happy with it. I took a lot of family pics over the weekend at a gathering we had in Ohio. There is so much depth of focus at wide open f4.5 that I was able to get shots even in a poorly lighted room at ISO3200. I have also attached a Nikon lens to the Mount with good results. Now I am waiting for an adapter so I can try some Pentax lenses on it. I have seen on this site that you are using the GXR. So if you already have some lenses that can be adapted to the Mount, it is probably worth a try for you. There are adapters for almost any brand. More to come.

Duane, I do not have so-called "legacy lenses" so I hesitated, but decided that the more affordable Voigtlander lenses are worth a try, so I bought one, and then waited for the Mount to come back in stock. It is a different experience since I am not using the EVF. I use the GXR version of peeking on the screen coupled with the depth of field scale on the lens. So far I am happy with it. I took a lot of family pics over the weekend at a gathering we had in Ohio. There is so much depth of focus at wide open f4.5 that I was able to get shots even in a poorly lighted room at ISO3200. I have also attached a Nikon lens to the Mount with good results. Now I am waiting for an adapter so I can try some Pentax lenses on it. I have seen on this site that you are using the GXR. So if you already have some lenses that can be adapted to the Mount, it is probably worth a try for you. There are adapters for almost any brand. More to come.

Thanks Dan, I don't have any M lenses. The dilemma I've created for myself is I would like to have a faster prime 50mm in place of A12 module. I was looking at the Voight 35mm 1.4. But then I'd be spending twice the amount for a lens and m mount vice the Ricoh product.

I guess I will just have to be content with what I have now and learn to use it the best I can.

I finally caved in and ordered a GXR body + M Mount + EVF! So weird that I got the itch to get the GXR (thanks partially to this thread ... I blame you Dan!!!), especially with the imminent release of the Fuji XP1 and the digial Oly OM coming soon.

The impetus behind this is to find a good substitute for the M9, for me use the M mount lenses I have. And then sell the M9. I was also considering the NEX7, but I can't found one of those anywhere. I have a couple of m4/3 cameras. But the auto-magnify manual focus aid is just not very effective for fast focusing.

I'm pretty excited about finally getting to experience the famous Ricoh user interface, and its customizability. Hopefully, the user interface will be as good as the Pentax K5, which I consider to be the best camera I've used when it comes to having tons of direct controls that are well located.

Well Armando, I look forward to your thoughts on the GXR when it arrives. After reading Sean Reid's latest rolling review of the GXR M Mount vs the Nex 5n in the studio has convinced me to stay the GXR course. I'm now actively looking for the A12 Mount and will probably start with the Voight 35mm 1.4 lens for my normal fast prime. That black stuff with the red dot is just out of my league.

Awesome! I think GXR G.A.S. builds slowly. :D

Congrats on the new kit, Armando, and look forward to seeing your images!

Thanks Kyle!

Well Armando, I look forward to your thoughts on the GXR when it arrives. After reading Sean Reid's latest rolling review of the GXR M Mount vs the Nex 5n in the studio has convinced me to stay the GXR course. I'm now actively looking for the A12 Mount and will probably start with the Voight 35mm 1.4 lens for my normal fast prime. That black stuff with the red dot is just out of my league.

Amazon still has a number of the M Mounts in stock. I order from them 90% of the time thanks to the excellent return policy.

My subscription to Sean Reid's site expired. So I didn't get to read his rolling review, other than the blurb in Luminous Landscape. I take it that it's pretty favorable eh? I used to spend hours on Sean Reid's site when I was really into the red dot stuff.

I have the CV 35/1.4, which happens to be the favorite M lens (that I have). So I'll be trying it out on the GXR along with the CV 50/1.5, CV21/4 and CV75/2.5. My only red dot lens is the 90 Cron. It's hard to focus on the M9, so I rarely ever use it.

Thanks Kyle!

Amazon still has a number of the M Mounts in stock. I order from them 90% of the time thanks to the excellent return policy.

My subscription to Sean Reid's site expired. So I didn't get to read his rolling review, other than the blurb in Luminous Landscape. I take it that it's pretty favorable eh? I used to spend hours on Sean Reid's site when I was really into the red dot stuff.

I have the CV 35/1.4, which happens to be the favorite M lens (that I have). So I'll be trying it out on the GXR along with the CV 50/1.5, CV21/4 and CV75/2.5. My only red dot lens is the 90 Cron. It's hard to focus on the M9, so I rarely ever use it.

Here's a little bit of what Sean had to say: "...In the corners, of course, the Ricoh continues to notably out resolve the Sony (with a Zeiss 21/4.5 mounted on each for example) even after its file has been up-sized to match the dimensions of the Sony file…."

"…the Ricoh Module A12 is currently the reference standard among APS-C cameras I have tested to date…."

Hopefully I won't get into trouble quoting from his paid article that I subscribe to but thought it important that this is what has solidified my loyalty so far to the GXR platform.

Of course, I'm still hot for the new Fuji X-Pro 1, but I can afford the M mount and a lens now and the Fuji is still not out yet without any track record, yet.

Armando, you will like the GXR! As Duane points out per Sean's review, the GXR Mount was carefully designed to get the best out of the lenses. I only have two lenses but I'm really happy with them.

BTW I rented a NEX 5n and I still don't get along with them... too gadgety. The GXR is a lot more fun and easier to use, and oddly I prefer the Ricoh EVF to the Sony. The NEX 7 is believed to be worse with m-mount lenses than the 5n.

I finally caved in and ordered a GXR body + M Mount + EVF! So weird that I got the itch to get the GXR (thanks partially to this thread ... I blame you Dan!!!),
I'm pretty excited about finally getting to experience the famous Ricoh user interface, and its customizability. Hopefully, the user interface will be as good as the Pentax K5, which I consider to be the best camera I've used when it comes to having tons of direct controls that are well located.

You are welcome, Armanius! ;) I go back and forth between the GXR and the NEX5N these days. I like them both and do not think is a a dunk shot for either one. They are just different. For example, I like the articulating screen of the NEX, but usually prefer the user interface of the Ricoh. Maybe the NEX 7 will give NEX the upper hand, but for M lenses the Ricoh is better since it is designed for them. Your good stock of those lenses makes the GXR a good deal for you. Its white peaking function is helpful too.

I finally caved in and ordered a GXR body + M Mount + EVF! So weird that I got the itch to get the GXR (thanks partially to this thread ... I blame you Dan!!!), especially with the imminent release of the Fuji XP1 and the digial Oly OM coming soon.

The impetus behind this is to find a good substitute for the M9, for me use the M mount lenses I have. And then sell the M9. I was also considering the NEX7, but I can't found one of those anywhere. I have a couple of m4/3 cameras. But the auto-magnify manual focus aid is just not very effective for fast focusing.

Congratulations. I predict you will love it. The files that little Ricoh produces with m-mount are excellent and thanks to lack of AA it provides high fidelity to the rendering of lenses used, as does the M9. 50mm and longer lenses are easier to focus with the GXR than with the M and lenses with focus shift present no challenge. One of my favorites with the GXR is the Sonnar ZM 50mm f1.5. Leicaphiles should look away, but I prefer the ergonomics of the little Ricoh to the one the M9 provides, thanks to an excellent handgrip, which makes carrying the camera in one hand easy, even with heavy lenses such as a AA 90mm mounted. Not something I would do with the world's only digital RF.

The lack of Sonys NEX system is the absence of lenses in the quality of the 28 and 50mm module. Their zooms are much bigger and the not existing support in body for adapted lenses makes the NEX a weaker system in my eyes. Sensor quality is very good but a chain is so strong as it's weakest part......

Armando......I think you'll love it......the camera has a real "camera" feel to it. Feel free to ask about setting up the menu......it took me about a week (very slow in school) to get it to where I wanted it.

I am still keeping/loving my K-5.......especially when I got caught with a dozen other photogs in a heavy shower the other day.....guys scrambling all over......no problem for the Pentax though.

I just received last night the Kipon PK to M-mount adapter......hopefully I'll be able to use some of my PK glass.

I, like you, got the GXR viewfinder. I tend to shoot a lot in bright light. I've also half-a**ed the Hoodman loupe with rubber bands on the GXR body......looks like crap, but works wonderfully.

Again......congrats.......R

Thanks guys!!

Got the GXR, M Module and EVF today. Put the CV35/1.4 on it and started taking photos around the office. The build, ergonomics, user interface, and customizability of the GXR body is fantastic. I specially like the customizability and UI. The camera seems to have been designed by people who actually use the camera.

That being said, I'm having difficulties manually focusing the CV35/1.4 in both peaking modes, even with the magnify on. And specially with the lens wide open. I haven't been able to nail down focus wide open even on stationary subjects (i.e. books). I wonder if the lens suffers from focus shift when shooting wide open. I don't recall images being super duper soft though, when shooting wide open with the M9. I guess I need to do some tests when I get home, and look at the images on a computer too. When I stop down the lens to f2.8, it gets MUCH better.

To my eyes, peaking mode 1 is not very good. The shimmer doesn't shimmer enough, and it's white. I think the peaking on my old NEX3 worked better. Mode 2 seems to work better than mode 1, but still doesn't seem quite as effective as the NEX's peaking. Maybe Ricoh will issue another firmware making the peaking better.

That shutter sound is nice!! Sounds like the K-5's shutter. Soft and silent.

Back