Had a really interesting experience yesterday involving a DSLR and a superzoom

you probably need the biggest sensor, (FF), and the lowest number of mega pixels, (10 mega) and the best high ISO performance to get the best shot
On a tripod with delayed action and live view to check the focus

Bill,

Any particular camera come to mind?

Cheers, Jock

I suppose the D700 Nikon or the equivalent Canon - both have good low light (high ISO) performance
but I'm am sure they will be others (used)

They have stopped making circa 10 mega pixel DSLR's ……… so it's a used D700

in theory bigger pixels give less noise and are less susceptible to camera movement/shake

(PS - just reading about the subject and I am getting even more confused)

Since you have the 3200 already, I'd be considering a nifty fifty, they aren't very expensive.

Exactly. Using a fast, normal, plastic-fantastic prime on a DSLR may cure anyone of the need to use any other setup indoors again. Myself, I love using my Sigma 30mm f/1.4 on my Pentax K-5 even though I have all of the DA Limited primes.

That's true, but once I saw softness in the image compared to the FZ200, I was pretty much done.

This experience will teach me to be wary of package deals.

Cheers, Jock

More than likely the DSLR had far lower sharpening settings. All my unprocessed images from ILCs are less punch and subjectively sharp from the get go than a good compact cameras default processing, which is overly regressive to my taste. A few seconds in LR or DxO fixes it. Because there's more actual detail and dynamic range present.

It's even in the manual for my older canon DSLR, with a section on 'why doesn't my image look as sharp' or similar..

Nikon "night" shoot out

http://www.davidkinghamphotography.com/blog/2013/3/nikon-night-photography-shootout

as I indicated - high ISO performance is king and FX is what you need - but the D3S, D4 and D4S are mega bucks

The D600 looks good

But a really good used D700 will be a good price ……… maybe 500 or 600 whatevers depending US or UK

next, of corse the lens - should be a prime

then the tripod - should be good and heavy

next the head - as with the tripod, good and heavy - only a few choices in reality

Back