Had to test out my new X-T1

Mikey

Veteran
Braved the winter-in-spring weather yesterday to venture into the city and deliver the X-T1 vertical grip to its new owner. My hands are small enough that my pinky doesn't hang out while holding the grip. I do find that I accidentally press the buttons on the back with my thenar eminence. I haven't purchased a strap yet so I wonder how much of that was my hand overcompensating to avoid dropping my newly purchased toy. I don't mind the ISO lock as I can adjust it with one hand but I agree that I don't see the need for it. I still wish the EVF was off to one side as my nose (and mind you that I have a flat Asian nose) still smudges on the back LCD. I still wish the EVF was off to one side as my nose (and mind you that I have a flat Asian nose) still smudges on the back LCD. The EVF provides an immersive experience. The camera's very responsive and predictive AF works (albeit maybe only 75-80% of the time at least based on my brief experience with it)

There were Easter Eggs scattered throughout the city. One of the first few ones I saw was this humpty-dumpty-looking photographer fella. It was urging me on to take this street photo.
DSCF0087-L.jpg

A few from central park...
DSCF0079-L.jpg

DSCF0085-L.jpg

DSCF0099-L.jpg

As I left Central Park to head to Bryant Park where I was to meet with the buyer, tried out the XT-1's predictive AF on a subject that was moving towards me. This was at f/3.2 (mainly since I didn't want the dogs to be OOF)
DSCF0102-L.jpg

Stumbled upon St. Vincent Ferrer. Gorgeous church! This is just a single exposure yet it's still impressive how the X Trans sensor's wide dynamic range can recover most (sadly not all) of the shadow/highlight detail.

DSCF0225-L.jpg

Bryant Park -- the lawn was just newly sodded and was off limits for the time being.
DSCF0165-L.jpg

A few other ones in and around 5th ave...
DSCF0158-L.jpg

DSCF0216-L.jpg

This was ever so slightly tilted even if I used the level indicator. Sadly I couldn't retake it as people were constantly going in and out.

DSCF0214-L.jpg

I realize that last one's cliche but wanted a shot of my own before I leave New York.

Really good shots! Love the older guy on the street. Excellent framing... I love what you left out.
Thanks! My timing was a little off. Before I could get close enough for the shot, he looked at his watch and that in my mind would've been the perfect shots. :p

Very nice. Gotta love New York!
Amen to that! Thanks, Ray!

-Ray

Thanks for meeting up! Love the grip! And that Terry Richardson egg is awesome haha!
You are most welcome! Pleasure doing business with you. Just looked up who Terry Richardson is -- LOL, I knew there was something eerily creepy with how that egg looked. :p

Back