Leica Half cases for early LTM Leicas?

Mr_Flibble

All-Pro
Name
Rick
Looking to buy a half case to carry and protect my black Leica II and other 'early' barnacks without strap lugs.

I've visited the usual suspects, Luigi, Mr Zhou, Kenji.

Luigi's is abso-bleemin'-lutely beautiful, but I can't justify spending $240-260 Euro on one.
Mr Zhou, doesn't seem to offer one specifically for the Leica I, II or III.
Kenji Leather cases are affordable, but I find the design a little less interesting.

Does anyone know of other manufacturers who make cases for these specific models?

Thanks in advance.

You could get a pre-WW2 Leica case and just remove the nose-piece, but, and it is a big but, you probably couldn't trust the built-in strap as these are often perished. It is possible to replace the strap with newer leather but some skill is required.

Luigi's your man. Not cheap, but the price they are for a reason. My II sits in a Luigi case designed for a III - my first Barnack. It is a snug enough fit to stay in place without the aid of strap lugs.

Re-consider - you only live once :D

Malcolm, I did consider getting/using an old Leica or Zorki case, but the old straps are a big concern. There are some local leather working shops I could ask to modify it with a new strap.

Bill, you have no idea how tempted I am to get one from Luigi. Especially as I came into some extra money yesterday. (I better wait until my Credit Card Bill from this month has been processed though).

I have one of Luigi's neck straps on my user Leica IIIc. Fantastic bit of craftsmanship

Hmmm...Brown or Black leather? :D

For a wee bit more than a Mr. Zhou, I did see some Patagonian leather 1/2 cases(around 100 bucks w/shipping). Always wondered if the soviet Leica knockoffs was new leather or not as some look pretty good. My iiif has the lugs but Mr Zhou puts out a nice case for my money and it's new leather/stitching @1/3 the cost of other import brands. I can take it. Anyway after it goes on the body and I snap a few pic's, well, it'll be used too and I'll be left with lot's less buyer's remorse.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Black Mr.Zhou is a real beaut. Fits tight built right and the price is lite. A solid mid-range mix of brand new and affordability. Hot dang it made it to my post box yesterday.

Saw a German(repo?) WWII blond colored medical bag listed on a auction site. No strap. Looks nice. with three different site names- all seem to be priced at US 75.99. All from Hong Kong, none from Germany! Go figure. .. ...

Someone was parting w/a used Zhou Black 1/2 case with the red stiching. Made an offer and ended up with a new-looking 1/2 case at a great discount! My Leica's don't seem to notice the thread color difference. Both appear as new and feel that way. I've clad my Canon's in Zhou's, never a problum.

Back