Fuji Hallo...

Villi

...from Reykjavík, Iceland.

I'm typing this in my native country where I am currently on holiday, cursing that I don't have an X-E1 to play with.

I have been a Canon shooter for eons. Still am. My lovely EOS 60D is lying right here, next to me. It captures the photos I ask of it. It has been my weapon of choice when making videos and short films since 2010. It's almost perfect. There is just that "bulk" issue. I can't take it with me everywhere because of the size and weight. Today I went out with my son and because I didn't expect to do any real shooting, I left it at home. Took the iPhone and made a few shots that would have been infinitely better with an X-type or the EOS.

The setup is simple with the camera, a 50mm 1.4, a 18-135 zoom and a 100mm macro (fantastic portrait lens). The 50mm stays on the camera most of the time. It's not much. I left my flashes and other things at home.

Still, it feels like travelling with a small dog. When I sit down with people, the gear sits in a bag at my feet or lies on the table next to me. And it draws attention. People ask which camera it is. They want to know about the photos I take. Am I a professional, they ask. Thing is, I want to shoot pictures, not brag about my gear.

Canon has the EOS M out, but it doesn't do anything for me. Might as well get an Ixus.

So I'm following the development in the Fuji X world. None of the cameras currently on offer can replace the 60D. Image quality seems to be great, but the video mode is lacking. I need great quality and fully manual controls when shooting video. I want the next camera to be a real upgrade to the 60D, so I want the image and video quality, with wifi, geotagging and whatever tech is being added to modern cameras. I want a high tech thing with old fashioned controls.

I'm sure the next generation of the X-E1 will be the one I'm waiting for. As much as the brand new 70D tempts me, I'm done with the bulk. The mirror system is pointless. Obsolete. If it isn't now, it will be in a couple of years.

So, here I am, soaking up all the info I can find on the X-system. I'm sure this is the place for me.

Hi and welcome Villi.

I think there are a lot of people who have the same concerns. There's no denying that the images the X system produces are very good, however the video feature is quite lacking. To be fair though (imho), the X system is something you will use to take images primarily.

Hi and welcome Villi.

I think there are a lot of people who have the same concerns. There's no denying that the images the X system produces are very good, however the video feature is quite lacking. To be fair though (imho), the X system is something you will use to take images primarily.

Thanks!

Good video isn't an option anymore. It's a requirement. Here's hoping that Fuji realises this and makes the perfect camera that can replace my Canon stuff. :)

Hi Villi, we'll keep our fingers crossed for you. To date, Fuji just hasn't made video a priority for now however.

The one small system manufacturer who has is Panasonic. Renowned for great video in their top m43 camera models.

Although their GH3 looks similar to DSLRs it's quite a bit smaller, and so are its lenses. Or, in a few months the GX7 will be out. Take a close look at that: with a touch of in-body optical image stabilization, none of the "DSLR-like" styling, and what will likely be a sensor improvement.

Although the 4/3 sensors aren't quite as big as the APS-C ones, none the less they can be great sensors and there's some superb native glass available. Although some folks can't be satisfied that m43 sensors can never catch-up to their APS-C contemporaries, others will realize they have already overcome the best APS-C models of just a few years ago. And they have done so in a much smaller, lighter package.

Again, we'll hope that Fuji does "see the light" with regards to video. They are partnering with the above Panasonic for next generation sensors, perhaps they'll learn a thing or two about video from them. But if that's not a priority for Fuji like it has been for Panasonic, I just don't see it fully happening.

Hoping for many "flot mynd" moments for you, regardless. :)

Welcome, Villi! Thank you so much for your introduction - I particularly liked the part where you compared carrying your DSLR along with you that
it feels like travelling with a small dog.
:wink_old:

It will be interesting to see what happens with Fuji's Xs in the future. These camera companies have to keep tweaking and adjusting and striving, so they may yet bring you all that you want in one less burdensome package. Meanwhile, I'm glad you found your way here! If you have a photography website, please feel free to add it to your signature line!

Back