Happy New Year everyone.

L1009975 (2).jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

We're about to settle into the couch and watch Top Gun Maverick as a family now and then prepare for a dark New Year due to planned rolling blackouts from 10pm onwards.

To everybody here: All good wishes to you and your dear ones. May we all enjoy happiness, health and a successful New Year with plenty of photo opp's 🌟 🎉 🍾
Happy new year to you and everyone else.

I just started watching that movie this morning while cleaning the kitchen and got 46 minutes into it, if I recall correctly, before the kitchen was done. So far so good.

Rolling blackouts on new years eve?! Where is that going on?

Happy new year to you and everyone else.

I just started watching that movie this morning while cleaning the kitchen and got 46 minutes into it, if I recall correctly, before the kitchen was done. So far so good.

Rolling blackouts on new years eve?! Where is that going on?
That's going on in South Africa for the last 15 years already (this is an older article, just did a quick search for the euphemistic term "load shedding")

Essentially it's due to organised corruption on a massive scale, poor management of infrastructure and complete lack of maintenance and service

Last edited:
10:30pm here, which is that dangerous moment on New Years Eve when there's not much happening and you wonder if it would be OK to go to bed as per usual and to give the festivities a miss.

But, we shall resist that temptation as there's a bottle of champagne in the fridge awaiting attention, and the neighbours will probably be re-enacting the Battle of Jutland outside come midnight anyway.

Meanwhile, Happy New Year everyone 🍾

-R

10:30pm here, which is that dangerous moment on New Years Eve when there's not much happening and you wonder if it would be OK to go to bed as per usual and to give the festivities a miss.

But, we shall resist that temptation as there's a bottle of champagne in the fridge awaiting attention, and the neighbours will probably be re-enacting the Battle of Jutland outside come midnight anyway.

Meanwhile, Happy New Year everyone 🍾

-R
Not long to go now for you. We've already slipped across. Enjoy your bubbly! I had a good chuckle at your description of the neighbours and hope it won't be as bad as you dread! Happy New Year

That's going on in South Africa for the last 15 years already (this is an older article, just did a quick search for the euphemistic term "load shedding")

Essentially it's due to organised corruption on a massive scale, poor management of infrastructure and complete lack of maintenance and service
One of the reasons we installed an 8 kW solar system. We use most of the power generated on site. Runs the pool pumps and heat exchanger/pump heater.

Once that 45,000L "battery" is at 28-30 °C, all that gets switched off, and our 4 biggish heat exchanger type airconditioners get switched on.

In the last 6-7 weeks our electricity consumption bill is negative, but still have to pay fixed supply charges, of course.

We are very fortunate to be able to afford such things!

All that aside - wishing a HAPPY AND SAFE NEW YEAR to everyone.

If my binoculars could look through time instead of space, I would try to sneak a peek at what the future holds. But since they can't, I'll just have to wait and see what unfolds, like all of us...

May you all have a fine New Year! Que vous ayez tous une bonne année! Que tengan todos un muy feliz Año nuevo!

EP5_Dec31_22_binoculars.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Back