Sigma Hard Rock Sears Portrait Studio (or: Know your shooting environment beforehand)

lattiboy

Regular
Lately I've run into an issue: I'm sick of taking pictures of the same things. Over. And Over. And Over.

That cemetery? The dead are sick of you.

Chinatown? It's getting weird with the dragon pictures.

Abandoned factories? Been done son!

So, with my newfound love of the DP2M I decided to put out a note on a Facebook group I'm a member of:

"I want to take your picture! Points if you have a band or a weird pet or like to dress up like a crazy person."

The response was intense. 20 people in about 2 days volunteered. My only stipulation was a model release form and a good attitude.

The two-man band that volunteered neglected to mention the space I would be shooting in was a 10'x8' converted garage covered in acoustic insulation. DEEP Black acoustic insulation.

When the pot smoke finally cleared the room, I setup a wireless flash to bounce off the ceiling and mounted another on the DP2 for triggering and fill flash.

I killed the first battery after 32 pictures, focus was basically a series of educated guesses, the band was clearly self-conscious, and the flash was arbitrarily deciding when it would fire. So, pretty much par for the course with me and any structured photo shoot: A complete f*$&ing disaster.

I did a few ISO3200/6400 flashless shots, but the light-sucking properties of the acoustic walls left me with what looked like a rejected poster from a Japanese horror movie.

1)

SDIM0370.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2)

SDIM0381.jpg

3)

SDIM0404.jpg

4)

SDIM0405.jpg

5)

SDIM0389.jpg

6)

SDIM0395-2.jpg

7) (ISO 6400!)

SDIM0400.jpg

I also used a GX7 with mixed results, but my lack of an ultra-wide angle lens really became evident here.

Back