Hardware & Software of Cameras

Herman

The Image Stimulator
Name
Herman
I think that many manufacturers of photo- and videocameras use same hardware in different products. It's simply the software (firmware) that's decides all possible options.
For example: 3D lens from Pan with G2 and GH2 is okay for photoshooting but not for videoshooting.
3D videoshooting is only possible with the 3D videocam(s) from Pan.
Is this what we want ? As to me, the answer is clear: NO.
I'm looking for an open source camera, where apps can be downloaded from an apps open source store. Am I'm dreaming ?

I'm looking for an open source camera, where apps can be downloaded from an apps open source store. Am I'm dreaming ?

Now there's a great idea!!! I expect with the explosion of apps for phones and tablets it will just be a matter of time before we get Photoshop app on our cameras so we can edit then upload directly to the web bi-passing the PC altogether!

Yup! Sounds good to me!! I'd go for that!! You could have apps that make your images look like kodacolor 64 film or whatever instantly without post processing and you could adjust the amount of effect in camera before saving a copy.

that model already exists for the iPhone camera. One interesting thing with my Samsung TL500 that I was not expecting (and to be honest have not and will not ever use) is that the camera has built in PC photoediting software that a PC can read when you plug the camera into a USB port. That way you can edit photos at a cyber cafe while on holiday and upload without needing the software on that PC. The only downside is that it is JPEG only

I think sometime soon some camera manufactuer will get smart and put 16 and/or 32GBs of onboard flash memory in a camera, it would still take memory cards but would have lots of onboard storage. Once that happens having apps would be very easy.

Back