Film Showcase Harman Direct Positive

Also: scanning a 4x5 gives you a 1GB tiff at 6400DPI. Absurd resolution and amazing quality from the film.

Not the right lens for the job, but I'm still satisfied with the imperfect results:

The Schneider Xenotar 135mm f/3.5 is a 4x5 lens that technically covers 5x7, but you can see where in the corners the quality of the image circle degrades dramatically. What I need is a wide lens that's actually designed for the format...budget problems.

f/22 & 20 seconds
26241431592_780c899a68_b.jpg

Whatcom Falls
by Mike Aubrey, on Flickr

I've started a project of taking portraits of people at my work with my Pacemaker Speed Graphic:

Xenotar 135mm f/3.5
Graflex Speed Graphic Harman Direct Positive 003.jpg

Symmar 210mm f/5.6
Graflex Speed Graphic Harman Direct Positive 004.jpg

It looks like you're using window light. How long are the exposures?
Actually, it's one White Lightning X3200 at full power in a foldable beauty dish (like these). So the exposure was instant. I left the shutter speed at 1/2" though, but that's still to dark to show. I have two X3200's, but the second one's optical sync has been misbehaving, so it was lit with just the one. Now I'm waiting for a second sync cable to arrive in the mail.
The paper's red-insensitivity makes portraits distinctively gritty.
Yeah. And if I had both strobes going, I probably would have gone with a yellow filter to help improve this. I think I'd have enough light for that.

Still, the 'look' has been well-received.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back