Fuji Has anyone got the X100 instead of 17mm m4/3 lens?

Lawrence A.

Hall of Famer
Name
Larry
My primary system is the m4/3 centered around the wonderful E-M5. I don't yet have a prime for that system covering the 35mm EFL, and I'm hesitating to commit to the new Olympus 17mm f1.8, because it seems less than stellar for its price. The PL 25mm is a better lens for about the same cost.

So this is what I'm thinking, and it may just be a justification for a new camera. I've long been interested in the Leica X1/X2, with their 35mm equivalent focal length fixed lenses, but simply could never justify the cost. The Fuji X100 basically gives me the same thing, with a hybrid viewfinder and an exceptional lens, for a fraction of the cost, especially used since the X100s has been announced.

Has anyone else out there gotten the X100 instead of a prime with the same FOV for their micro 4/3 camera? I started this photo journey shooting a fixed lens slightly wide angle Olympus zone focus many years ago, so the fixed lens is not an issue.

35 is my favorite focal length. I have the X100 but still got the 17/1.8. IMO, the 17/1.8 is plenty sharp for me. Most of the complaints appear to be from pixel peepers shooting trees and focusing on the corners. I'm very happy with my 17/1.8. The sensor of the X100 is still better than any m4/3, though, when it comes to noise handling and DR (to my eyes anyway).

I basically use the X100 (and will use the X100s) for traditional walkaround photography and keep my m43 kit for when I want all the focal lengths. I have the old Oly 17mm and have no issues with it. It's not the sharpest blade in the drawer, but the images it makes are constantly some of my favorites.

I put up a similar question on the X-series forum but relating to the Fuji 14mm for the X-E1 - Fuji

:D

My primary system is the m4/3 centered around the wonderful E-M5. I don't yet have a prime for that system covering the 35mm EFL, and I'm hesitating to comment to the new Olympus 17mm f1.8, because it seems less than stellar for its price. The PL 25mm is a better lens for about the same cost.

So this is what I'm thinking, and it may just be a justification for a new camera. I've long been interested in the Leica X1/X2, with their 35mm equivalent focal length fixed lenses, but simply could never justify the cost. The Fuji X100 basically gives me the same thing, with a hybrid viewfinder and an exceptional lens, for a fraction of the cost, especially used since the X100s has been announced.

Has anyone else out there gotten the X100 instead of a prime with the same FOV for their micro 4/3 camera? I started this photo journey shooting a fixed lens slightly wide angle Olympus zone focus many years ago, so the fixed lens is not an issue.

28 and 35mm are both great focal lengths. I have both represented in my m43 setup, although 28 is not represented in a form I find terribly useful. I so have the new 17mm, although I got it for a crazy low price. I also have 28 for my X-Pro. I'll either add the 23 f1.4 when that shows up or I'll get the X100s and add the 28mm lens attachment (and sell the X-Pro) gear. Either way, I'll have a good version of both focal lengths in both systems.

-Ray

Funny you should ask. I just picked up the Oly 17mm f/1.8 while walking to my office from the bus station in New York City yesterday. I already have the Panny 20mm f/1.7 but I can see the new17mm working out very nicely on my E-PM2. Fuji's X20 and/or X100s remain possibilites for 2013. It's not an either-or thing for me.

Funny you should ask. I just picked up the Oly 17mm f/1.8 while walking to my office from the bus station in New York City yesterday. I already have the Panny 20mm f/1.7 but I can see the new17mm working out very nicely on my E-PM2. Fuji's X20 and/or X100s remain possibilites for 2013. It's not an either-or thing for me.

Nor for me, unfortunately for the budget, but I'm leaning toward the X100 first and the 17mm later, though lots depends on what kinds of deals I can land.

I just ordered a Fuji X100 to replace the one I had when they first came out. I'm really hoping that the af speed is much improved though. I already have the Panasonic 14mm for my EM5 and recently bought the Oly 75mm. Having used the Fuji X Pro 1 a little this week, I came to this conclusion. Have the X100 as a walkabout, take anywhere 35mm camera. Use the X Pro 1 with the 35mm (roughly a 50mm) 1.4, arguably it's best lens to date, tote the Oly with the 75mm for telephoto and squeeze in the tiny Panasonic 14mm to cover all eventualities :dash2:

Another scenario I've thought of is to get a used XPro body and use my OM Zuiko glass with it. This blog Fuji X-Pro 1 and Olympus OM Zuiko lenses post indicates some good results. My 28mm Zuiko would have to do, as I never got a 24, but that would give me about 42mm equivalent, and I've always love the 40mm FOV. And the 35 OM lens would give me a 50ish prime.

Spending the money I don't yet have, but it's fun to think about what's next.

I use my X100 in addition to my OM-D with Olympus 12mm, 45mm and 75mm lenses. Having two cameras with me gives me great flexibility and versatility. I've always got the "allround" 35mm fov ready on the X100, and if I need tele or wide angle, I can just change over to the OM-D. X100 around my neck, OM-D with a sling around my shoulder, and a few lenses in a small bag. Superb setup if you ask me. :)

Mytola, I've been thinking about leaving my P20 f/1.7 at home and taking the X100 instead. As you said, using the E-M5 for wide and long.

How do find the difference in handling: does it irritate you?

Nah, I actually feel that it's nice that they handle a bit differently. I've got no problems switching back and forth. I've had the X100 since September last year, and got the OM-D a few weeks ago. It took me a couple of days to set up and get used to the OM-D, but now it's second nature. The only thing that I really notice is that I bump my nose into the screen on the OM-D, and I don't on the X100... :p
I've got the two-part battery grip on the OM-D, by the way. It improves handling by a mile. It feels as good in my hands as my old Nikon D3, but of course a lot lighter and smaller. The X100 and the OM-D is a perfect pair. Especially if you get the OM-D in silver ;)

Actually sold off my E-P1 and 17mm pancake to help fund the purchase of the X-100. While I miss that combo every now and again, particularly for quick grab shots, the X100 is a far more discreet camera (especially with the ultra quiet shutter), with much better handling than the E-P1 + 17mm. The Oly 17 is a great lens, but having a slightly faster 35mm equivalent on the X100, with much better low light capability and fairly decent close up ability to boot makes the X100 a better camera for street shooting and all around photography compared to my previous set up. For the quick grab shots, I now tend to use the 15mm body cap lens.

Probably, but if you can only afford one, which 35mm prime equivalent would you go with? I realize we are talking different systems, not different FOV, however, except for th 3:2 vs 4:3 formats.

Hmmm....
Does that mean only one lens with the Micro Four Thirds system? (if cost is a factor)

Another scenario I've thought of is to get a used XPro body and use my OM Zuiko glass with it. This blog Fuji X-Pro 1 and Olympus OM Zuiko lenses post indicates some good results. My 28mm Zuiko would have to do, as I never got a 24, but that would give me about 42mm equivalent, and I've always love the 40mm FOV. And the 35 OM lens would give me a 50ish prime.

Spending the money I don't yet have, but it's fun to think about what's next.

That's a good site, visited it before. I have had a lot of fun using my Oly 50, 135 2.8 and 70-150 with the X-Pro1. Just got a second hand 24mm 2.8 Zuiko as my 35mm equiv for when the X100 eventually goes.

Hmmm....
Does that mean only one lens with the Micro Four Thirds system? (if cost is a factor)

Not one lens for m4/3, but one 35mm equivalent prime. If I want the POV I'm trying to decide whether the 17 for my E-M5 or getting a Fuji X100 would be the best course of action. I'm leaning toward the Fuji, because by many accounst it has a better lens than the OLy 17mm f1.8. And of course, I admit, it would allow my to get another camera.

Back