Fuji Has anyone made the switch from Micro 4/3 to a Fuji X?

I still have my GF1, but now it's mainly used by my daughter. A great camera.

I disagree with WT21; there are similarities to compare. My X-Pro 1 is also a small system camera, though larger than the Lumix. Both systems have good lenses.

If you like the manual controls of the Lumix you should have no issues moving to a Fuji. The controls are more analog in use, but are easy to learn and very intuitive in use. The GF1 has great image quality, but the Fuji cameras offer more in all respects.

If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to try and help.

If you put a GF1 and a Fuji up against each other and shot primes at higher ISOs, I don't think it would be close.

I guess I was also trying to say (and failed at doing so) that the GF1 is a pretty old camera. Comparing to a more modern m43 would be a better comparison. But if someone wants to try the Fuji, then why not!

I still have my GF1, but now it's mainly used by my daughter. A great camera.

I disagree with WT21; there are similarities to compare. My X-Pro 1 is also a small system camera, though larger than the Lumix. Both systems have good lenses.

If you like the manual controls of the Lumix you should have no issues moving to a Fuji. The controls are more analog in use, but are easy to learn and very intuitive in use. The GF1 has great image quality, but the Fuji cameras offer more in all respects.

If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to try and help.

Right, but the OP was specific re Fuji to GF1. Given that a person has one, and is thinking about the other, the comparison is valid and important to them.

For sure the IQ is different, and in my view dramatically better in the Fuji. But for some people that may not matter. If they shoot at low ISOs, and only post online, or print to 8 x 10, the GF1 is a fine camera. It certainly is old in terms of new releases, but it's still a good camera.

Changing cameras can be pricey. Best to consider all aspects and make a fully informed choice.

Well, Ray's link is pretty good. ANY discussion also benefits from a statement of needs and uses, for valid comparisons to be made.

Hello digitalgrrl79, I would keep both systems, I have the G3 and am keeping it with the 14mm glued on, and got the XE1 with 60mm for image quality and printing larger, and the G3 for light weight and small size. The Gf1 will not bring much used, so why sell it if you like it.? Would be a good compliment to either the X100 or XE1.

Keep the GF1 and get the XE1 for interchangeable lens ability. Buying the XE1 used is a great way to get into the system cheaper, as a lot of people are selling them in anticipation of the new models coming late 2013.

Dennis.

Hello digitalgrrl79, I would keep both systems, I have the G3 and am keeping it with the 14mm glued on, and got the XE1 with 60mm for image quality and printing larger, and the G3 for light weight and small size. The Gf1 will not bring much used, so why sell it if you like it.? Would be a good compliment to either the X100 or XE1.

Keep the GF1 and get the XE1 for interchangeable lens ability. Buying the XE1 used is a great way to get into the system cheaper, as a lot of people are selling them in anticipation of the new models coming late 2013.

Dennis.

My GF1 pretty much lives in my car, with the 14 and 20 ready to go. I like it, and it's always ready to roll. s you say, it won't fetch much used. Also, my kid really loves using it, and my wife borrows the lenses for her G3.

If so, what are your thoughts on the difference? I have a GF1 and am considering making the switch.

I had a GF1 for 3 years and liked it. Then I felt it was time to step up, bought a G5 and realized it was not as big an improvement as I wanted it to be.

I then checked out the Fuji, which ticked these boxes for me:

- Great high ISO quality
- Built-in EVF
- Aperture control on lens instead of thumb wheel (hated the wheel on G5)
- Possible to achieve shallower DOF
- High quality and fast 18-55mm zoom lens
- On m4/3, my favorite lenses were big ones (Voigtländer 25mm 0.95 and Panny 7-14), which somewhat negated the size advantage of m4/3

In short, I felt that Fuji would give me more "bang for the buck" compared to high-end m4/3 lenses and bodies. And although the Fuji is a bit bigger, I feel more inclined to carry it with me since I enjoy the photography experience even more.

Most importantly, I like the Fuji image quality and colours much better. Personally I have not missed m4/3, but no two photographers are the same.

Best,
Niklas

I think you may want to check out ByThom.com's OMD-5 review. It is Thom Hogan's sansmirror site. Here: http://www.sansmirror.com/cameras/a...-camera-reviews/olympus-om-d-e-m5-review.html

He favors this over the Fuji X series due to faster AF and no smearing of files. He said it is a joy to use. I trust his opinion as he is quite knowledgeable. But, I do prefer a larger sensor. Still, how much sensor do we need? Anyway,

Thom's reviews are worth reading, but I would keep in mind his perspective. He is primarily a DSLR shooter, with a Nikon focus. His needs and expectations are influenced by that perspective. He also has not tested the Fujis with the latest C1 or LR software. His basic summary was that for all the major mirrorless you can't really go wrong - check them out personally and measure against your photographic needs and goals.

My preference is for more casual and technical reviews (like Thom Hogan's) in which little time is spent with a camera, to be balanced with more in-depth user reports by people who need a particular type of camera.

I would keep the GF1 at least until you've got the measure of Fuji ; talking to a dealer the other day it seems that it's still very desirable and commands a good price .
My copy with the 20mm pancake compares well with the X100 although very different tones.

If so, what are your thoughts on the difference? I have a GF1 and am considering making the switch.

I was a longtime user that switched away form m43 and while I didn't switch to Fuji (I do have a Fuji X10) I think I might have a few insights. I had a variety of m43 bodies both Panasonic and Olympus and for the most part they served me well I didn't have any real problems with them. M43 has a nice mature set of available native lenses, fast AF and with the newest sensors IQ that is closer to APS-C than it has ever been.

So the first question I have is what are you looking for in a camera. The GF1 is a venerable m43 body and capable of great images with the right lens but the sensor is aging and it has limitations in terms of noise, dynamic range and high ISO images. I just got rid og my G2 (performance on par with the GF1) and for the most part my Fuji X10 was comparable IQ wise. Add to that the convenience of fast AF< a really nice lens, small body with great feel and handling and the choice was pretty simple. Of course that's a fixed lens camera so the GF! )or any interchangeable lens camera) has the advantage of being able to extend its capabilities with a new lens. If you were to move to the Fuji X100. X100s or any of the X-bodies you would be looking at a dramatic increase in IQ over the GF1. You'd also be looking at a significant jump in IQ with any of the new m43 bodies that use the latest Sony sensor like the E-M5, E-PM2, E-PL5 etc. but not quite at the level of the Fuji X100 or X bodied cameras. The biggest advantages with the newer m43 bodies is that you can still use whatever lenses you have for the GF1, there are a good deal of excellent lenses to choose from if you want to expand your lens selection and the E-PM2 and E-PL5 bodies are a good deal less expensive than the X100, X100s and X-bodied cameras.

Hi Amin, I was mostly using a legacy 50mm 1.4 Nikon lens but just recently got the pana/leica 25mm 1.4.

The PL25 is not a lens that I would give up lightly, but you've presumably already gotten a lot of value out of an older body like the GF1 and if the rest of your Micro 4/3 kit is not that extensive and easy to enough to sell it is probably as good a time as any to try something different.

Think about a used X-E1 with the 18-55mm f2.8-3.5. The lens itself is worth the price, and the camera is so fun to shoot. A superb pairing that is extremely versatile.

I'm still into m43 (OMD EM5), and I see for myself the following scenario:

X-E1 for most photos, hanging around my neck. EM5 with the Oly75mm mounted, and the mZ 9-18mm, PL25, PL45, and some super-reach zoom in small pack. Use the EM5 for deep bokeh, wide-angle, and long telephoto.

The X100 would be neat, but the X-E1 and 18-55mm is so versatile, and is so sharp that I know I made the right choice for me.

Back