Fuji Has anyone made the switch from Micro 4/3 to a Fuji X?

Hi Amin, I was mostly using a legacy 50mm 1.4 Nikon lens but just recently got the pana/leica 25mm 1.4.

If you switch to Fuji and 35/1.4 lens, you'll get:

-Worse autofocus (slower, hunts more in low light)
-Better low light, handheld sensor image quality (less noisy)
-Ability to use slightly more shallow depth of field
-Eye level viewfinder
-Better dynamic range
-Different controls (better to me)

For me whether to change to Fuji vs upgrading GF1 to a newer Micro 4/3 body depends on what lenses you may want down the line, how much you like the Fuji controls, and how much you value fast AF, good face detection, etc. The latest Micro 4/3 bodies have sensor image quality closer to the Fuji than to the GF1 (IMO).

I have both an X-E1 and an OM-D right now with me. They are very much comparable in image quality I found, but the OM-D is infinitely more usable as far as just pointing at something, getting accurate focusing and shooting. The Fuji can spend seconds trying (and failing) to focus unless you manage to find an area of very high contrast in the plane of focus and recompose. I would probably lose tons of shots to it. The OM-D is fully WYSIWYG, the Fuji isn't. It has some charm (and when the EVF isn't used while moving, it has an unmatched clarity) but at least in the beginning it was disconcerting for me. OM-D puts all the info on screen (I'd think the other ones too) while Fuji has it on physical items. I actually like that a lot for shutter speed, focal lens on the zoom, etc. (Aperture can't be marked on the ring as it is variable on the zoom.)

So I agree with the comments saying that a modern Micro 4/3 body like the E-PM2, E-PL5 or OM-D (in increasing order of price) would be a great upgrade if you wanted to keep your lenses. If you don't care about that, and can live with the idiosyncrasies of the Fuji, I find it pleasant to hold (it is lighter with the 18-55 than the OM-D with the 12-50) and I like its colors.

I thought I left m43 for good, but when Olympus decided to add the same sensor as the OMD to the E-PM2 I had to jump on it. My X-PRO1 is still the camera I go to for paid gigs but the super fast autofocus of the E-PM2 + small size has made it my go everywhere camera!

Hi there, this is my first post.

I have both an omd and a xe1 . They are totally different beasts.. Omd is more equilibrate, is a great horse in every aspect. Choose it if you need autofocus. File quality is absolutely equal to Fuji below 2000 iso. However xe1 is the choice I you like to use manual lenses; the approach is very similar to rangefinder cameras. Xe1 is the choice if you are a Leica man. Far better than m8.
Ciao!
G.

Bringing this thread back to life. Just curious with all the new lenses that both Fuji and M4/3 have released. Anyone would move M4/3 to Fuji or vice versa?

I switched from the Lumix FZ35 to the Fuji X-M1. My main reasons were the shutter lag - minute but annoying, and I wanted to be able too change lenses. The Lumix was a very good camera, I have taken fine shots in raw with it, but it doesn't compare to the Fuji's quality or the jpeg results. Then again, it was older technology. New Lumixes might be a different story comparison wise.

Bringing this thread back to life. Just curious with all the new lenses that both Fuji and M4/3 have released. Anyone would move M4/3 to Fuji or vice versa?

I've gone both ways. Fuji X-Pro1 to X-T1 to Oly E-M1 to X-T1 ... For me image quality of Fuji trumps useability of Olympus. The E-M1 is a much faster camera to use, once set up it is very user friendly and the AF, especially C-AF, is far superior (I am hoping tonight's Fuji Firmware 4 brings the Fuji close, so can update post when I can compare). The Fuji's seem slower, more deliberate. While I was drawn back by the IQ, that isn't to say the Oly is in any way bad, both are most excellent and, if honest with myself, exceed my current needs (and probably almost any photographers needs).

I am a former newspaper photographer, 25 years, and if I was still shooting news, the Oly gear would be my choice. A pair of E-M1's, the 12-40, 40-150, and TTL strobes would cover 99% of a daily newspaper photographers needs, and would have saved my back injury from years of Nikon and Canon.

Fuji's lenses are sublime, and if bought used not a whole lot more expensive than Oly's.

You honestly can't go wrong with either, it just depends on what you want in a system, and how the camera feels in hand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Started with EM5 and moved to xt1. Noise seems to be far less at high iso for fuji. And like all the hard buttons with labels, makes it easy to see what settings i'm on before shooting. And there are no bad lenses on X and they are cheap for what it can give. MFT has good lenses too. Overall I prefer the raw files from Fuji and I feel its also better built although both actually sucks when compared to dslr built quality. Battery sucks for both too. It's ridiculous how they make us buy accessories and spare battery etc where it adds to the overall weight. To me MFT is like Android, very flexible from smallest to big guns like EM1 and cheap to expensive and tonnes of lens to suit budget and size requirement. Fuji X is like iOS. Well controlled and you know what you gonna get. Subjective really.

I ended up just buying a new XE-1 from BH. It was either getting a new lens for M4/3 or paying for a new camera and lens. At $599 for camera and the 18-55 lens I just couldn't pass up the chance to give the Fuji system a try. Now I'm looking to buy a 23mm 1.4 to round out my lenses for the X system.

As a happy em5 shooter, I'll make the jump to either xpro1 or xe2 soon. I'm fully aware changing is not going to make me a better photographer, but boy o' boy do I like the files coming out of my x100. Getting either one of the bodies mentioned with the 35mm glued on a couple of speed lights is all I could ask for (cough cough said that before). And I'll keep my em5 with the 45mm when I need a longer reach and for the new times I need a fast body or video. I will keep updating.

Anyhow, xe2 or xpro for practially the same price? As I don't use the OVF much, the xe2 seems like the better fit, correct?

Also, on a side note, the xe1 is almost free around here. Is it worth pulling the trigger on with the updated firmware?

- Chris

As a happy em5 shooter, I'll make the jump to either xpro1 or xe2 soon. I'm fully aware changing is not going to make me a better photographer, but boy o' boy do I like the files coming out of my x100. Getting either one of the bodies mentioned with the 35mm glued on a couple of speed lights is all I could ask for (cough cough said that before). And I'll keep my em5 with the 45mm when I need a longer reach and for the new times I need a fast body or video. I will keep updating.

Anyhow, xe2 or xpro for practially the same price? As I don't use the OVF much, the xe2 seems like the better fit, correct?

Also, on a side note, the xe1 is almost free around here. Is it worth pulling the trigger on with the updated firmware?

- Chris
X-E2 definitely. It will get the FW 4.0 update in November.

I always liked fuji colours / output and tried an E X1..while lovely it was dog slow....so back i went to M4/3...long story short..just got an X-T10...loving it ..blew me away straight off the bat.even though i haven't put it through the paces...think i will be here a while.Kinda reminds me of when i first fell in love with oly e m5 and 25mm...but better!
DSCF8209.JPG

DSCF8284.JPG

DSCF8170.JPG

Personally,
I think we kid ourselves when we say that a narrow DOF doesn't matter - just look at the popularity of the Sony RX1 and A7 series....

Well after almost two years with M43. I've decided to finally sell it and go Fujifilm.

Reasons? I simply didn't like the images that I was getting from Lumix. I always felt like the live view and images on the back of the LCD were not accurate representations that I was going after.

Using Fujifilm was like seeing a more accurate representation of what I was seeing, straight from the back of the screen.

The shadows got noisy quicker than I would of liked, the highlights clipped quicker. ISO 200 was too noisy for my liking.

Even opening the RAWs in LR, the files just didn't do it for me.

The final straw for me was when I took my GX7 + 12-35mm F2.8. I shot at 12mm, F4.0, 4.5, 5 and RAW at a place where I usually do my test photos. I opened it up in LR and it just did not have the detail that I was use to from the Nikon and Fujifilm photos that I've taken at the same place.

As much as I like the 25mm f1.7 and 15mm 1.7. They did not have enough separation for my liking. Most of my shots are usually stopped down to optimal aperture to get everything nice and crisp, but sometimes I want some nice separation. I was never satisfied with the separation I got with those lenses. While the separation I got with the Fujifilm 23mm F1.4 and 35mm F1.4 were exactly what I wanted.

None of the shots from the GX8 have blown me away either. Yeah ISO is better but still reminds me of what I'm currently getting with the GX7.

I like and use both Fuji and Olympus. My E-M5 Mk.II is a more responsive camera with much faster AF while my X100T is a joy to use and does much better at high ISO.

Still waiting for the X-Pro2 to be announced but may just pick up an X-Pro1 to bide my time since the prices have come down quite a bit.

Here are four images, two from the Olympus and two from the Fuji. The last image was shot at ISO 6400 with fill in flash at night.

19242099369_a7674116cf_b.jpg

19469690495_288cac0b01_b.jpg

19421952605_466b07c96d_b.jpg

19349513323_7ae7e3575f_b.jpg

I bought an EM5 when they came out. Found the menu very confusing, and then sold it, and went for the EM1. It always annoyed me, though that Olympus lenses hardly ever came with a hood. Lens selection was great, and that kept me with Olympus for a bit, particularly with the 75mm f1.8 and the 12-40mm zoom, which did come with a hood, nice lens.
Then I started looking at photos that a friend had taken with the X-T1, and felt I could get as good a quality from my EM1. I ended up borrowing his X-T1 for a week. Could not get over the simplicity of the menu, the feel of it in my hands, and the incredible image quality.
So I bought one, and love it. One thing that I find really good is that Fuji regularly issues software updates so your camera is always improving! Like having a new camera without paying for it. Lens selection has improved dramatically as well.
Have now sold most of my Olympus lenses and just have the EM1 for sale.

Not a switch, per se, but I have recently acquired an X-Pro 1 and three lenses - The XF 35mm f1.4, XF 27mm f2.8, and the XC 16-50mm 3.5-5.6. I have been interested in the Fuji almost exclusively for the optical hybrid viewfinder since it came out, about the same time as my E-M5. I've been very happy with my E-M5, which was clearly a better choice for me at the time, and I would not, at this point, be willing to give up the in body stabilization (so no Panasonic m43 for me either), but I do find an EVF, even a very good one, sometimes gets in the way of things. I experience the video VF increasingly as a barrier between me and the world I'm trying to see and respond to. Thus the X-Pro, three years old and less responsive, and not the XT1, which sound like a phenomenal camera.

I've owned and enjoyed using the X-100, the X-10, and the X-20, the last of which I still own. I'm not interested in the X-30 precisely because of the EVF, no matter what other advantages it brings to the table. The X-Pro fits right in with how I have approached the Fuji cameras from the start.

I'm not denying Fuji's stellar optics, the advantage, slight though I find it, of a larger sensor, or the special beauties of the X-Trans version of APS-C. But the IQ from my E-M5 with the 25mm fl.8 or the 45mm 1.8 satisfies me completely. A bit more grain at higher iso never has bothered me, since I shoot raw, and color noise, the only kind that does bother me, can be easily dealt with in any competent raw converter. The two lenses mentioned above do Olympus proud, and I've found the rendering of Olympus' optics pleasing for over 30 years.

So, do I have a preference? Depends. Depends on what I want to do. The immediacy of viewing through an optical finder forges an intimate connection with the world that is hard to achieve with an EVF, at least for me. The information in the Fuji overlay is nice to have, but I happily use the optical accessory to the Leica X1 and find the experience -- well -- wonderful. The important thing is the un-preprocessed view. The rangefinder like frame in the middle of the finder is even better. I've rarely been able to see an entire viewfinder with my glasses on, without moving my eye around, and I prefer not to go through the hassle of taking glasses on and off. Putting on my glasses is the first thing I do in the morning, and taking them off is the last thing I do before turning the light out at night, and it's been that way since my middle teens. Stumbling around without them, like Mr. McGoo, while I use a diopter correction to shoot is not, for me, a realistic option. So, the frame lines experience is very much to my liking, even if the advantage can disappear with wider lenses. The 24mm (16mm) field of view is not one I use a lot, though it's nice to have a zoom around to give me the option.

My ideal camera would have the speed and versatility of the E-M5, along with, importantly, its in-body stabilization, and the optical hybrid viewfinder of the X-Pro. The larger sensor would be nice but not essential, and I could live with either an X-trans or Bayer. Using a 300mm legacy lens, hand held without in-body stabilization, is a chore, and until I can replace my birding lens with a digital OIS version for the Fuji, opting out of the Olympus system is unthinkable to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back