Fuji Have digital tools replaced the old ones?

Anthony Wilkins

Regular
Name
Anthony Wilkins
I have been thinking of getting a better tripod * and some filters (grads and neutral density). When I looked on YouTube for reviews on the filters, I found many suggestions that it’s better to use Lightroom tools to achieve that functionality. I’ve heard the same thing about OIS etc replacing the need for tripods.

What are y’alls thoughts on that?

* I have an aluminum Sunpaxk that I spent $40 on 10+ years ago.

No Post-Processing tricks I've seen can replace a 30 second exposure on a tripod. And if you want superior HDR, you really need to bracket, which means a tripod again. Smooth silky water flow? Helps to have an ND or two. Starfield exposure? Tripod once more.

I've had the same Slik U-212 for forever now, along with the ancient pan-and-tilt head. I finally asked for a ballhead on my Holiday Gift list.

I'll always be a do it in camera person. I haven't seen anything in post that beats working with a tripod and good filters. With the exception of the old color correction filters, etc. I have a Benro and a Three Legged Thing and have had both in mud, sand, ocean water, rain, and you get the picture. Both still work perfectly, and I never clean them.

For circular filters I use B+W ND and polarizers. For square I have always used the Lee system. But these days there are several good square filter options on the market.

I’ve just about pulled the trigger on a set of Lee Seven5 filters many times but have paused because I know it vignettes on the 10-24 (in case I ever buy that lens lol).

I’ve got an aluminum 3 legged thing setup in my wishlist. I’ve wondered if it would be wiser to spend money on a separate ball head to use on my current legs and upgrade them later.

Btw, I do have a 58mm B+W circular polarizer in my kit.

I recently sold some gear and used part of the funds to buy a Sirui T-025X CF tripod. A bit pricey, but very lightweight and compact, with 1/4 turn twist-lock legs. Unlike my previous beastly aluminum tripod, I don't even notice the weight of this one in my backpack. As for filters, I have no preferred brand, so no help there.

Back