Have I just done the wrong thing?

smash

Regular
Came up with a great idea to afford my Ricoh GXR with 50mm lens. A lens appeared on (auction site) at a fairly reasonable price so I decided to buy this and ask for the GXR Body for Christmas/Birthday off all my family, all good. I have just received the lens today in the post, it turned up in a very weak jiffy bag no extra padding, no lens cap, no electronics cap and I am seriously worried if it works. The trouble lies with the body coming as a Christmas present, I asked my family has it arrived yet as I just need to check the lens works, no was the reply, it wont be here until mid December, so now I am thinking have I just made a huge mistake as I wont be able to test this now until then, there is no stockists locally either of the body. What would you do?

First, contact seller and make clear that packing /shipping, is not satisfactory. Explain the situation, and that if there is a problem when the Camera body arrives that you will be back with expectations of satisfaction. That is only one action. I'm sure there may be better ones. Just my first reaction.

Oh man, that stinks. I can't believe it didn't even come with a lens cap! Very unacceptable item description and packing.

If this is was marketed as a "new" module, I would be worried that it was used/refurb or gray market. If you purchased as a used module, I would be concerned that this packing method is a good indication of how the individual treats their gear.

Either way, I would try to return the lens module.

If your in the US, I would test the lens for you. There's not much to go wrong with a lens or but.... My 1st new 50 wouldn't start. I got a replacement right a way.

PM me if you want me to test for you.

Sadly no returns I have been informed unless lens doesn't work (which I don't know if it does). Ahh thanks Streetshooter but sadly I am in the UK. Hmm gonna have to put my thinking cap on.

Keep us posted, smash.

It would be great if you could find someone locally who would test the lens for you. Feel free to start a new thread with something specific in the title about the lens and your needs and your location.(y)

Was it on Ebay? did you use paypal? you could put in a dispute if the seller won't take it back and mark it as not as described and you will win, paypal usually decided on the side of the buyer :)

Where did you buy it? On eBay? Not sure where you are, but in Australia I've had people try the "no returns" excuse on eBay before. It's rubbish; buy on eBay, pay with Paypal, you have the right to return and be refunded for a faulty or poorly described item.

i am based in Norwich, East Anglia, yes it was on Ebay, the lens may work fine so I dont really want to get too angry with the seller just need to check it works ok, if it does then I will buy a lens cap from somewhere. Thanks very much for all your responses.

Smash, don't run in front of the train. Ricoh stuff is built extremely well. Ask Sue, she'll verify.
I find it hard to believe that something would be wrong with the Len.
I would contact eBay and explain the situation about not testing the lens.
They will make a note in the sellers/buyers file.
If there is a problem, you could have recourse.

My instincts tell me your ok as I always trusted Ricoh above anyone except Leica.
On a happier note. That lens will absolutely blow you away. I was never a real 50 shooter but this lens has some kind of magic about it. It just translates light like no other lens I've ever experienced. Mated to the GXR, you'll be in seventh heaven. I know I am....

Thanks again for helping me out and Bill that is so kind of you but I think it maybe best I buy the body myself in the next couple of days to put my mind at rest. There is a body and P10 kit available at the moment for 339GBP, I messaged the seller and he has said I can have it for Tuesday if I buy it by Sunday eve, the camera is boxed like new, a refund if not happy, so if I can get some cash together by then It may be the right thing to do, i hope :)

Update... The GXR and P10 has arrived, had a quick play and it is great, the 50mm lens works a treat, cannot wait to try it out. But guess what there was no lens cap in the box for the P10, what is the chances, typical. Now to find a lens cap for this 50mm anyone know where I can pick one up from in the UK? Thanks Ash

Update... The GXR and P10 has arrived, had a quick play and it is great, the 50mm lens works a treat, cannot wait to try it out. But guess what there was no lens cap in the box for the P10, what is the chances, typical. Now to find a lens cap for this 50mm anyone know where I can pick one up from in the UK? Thanks Ash

I have a possible answer for the 50mm lens cap. I lost my 28mm lens cap on the train while I was in London a few weeks ago. I bought a cheap $4.95 on from Adorama that lasted all of 5 minutes before it fell apart.

I looked at the three online photo sites here in the states that sell Ricoh and none of them listed the lens cap separately for the 28mm module. I then went to this Ricoh webpage and filled out the form. In about two days I got an email back from them with a contact here in the US and was able to order a new one for $8.95. (BTW, in the meantime I did contact via phone one of the three online vendors and asked about a Ricoh replacement. They came back with $25.00 plus shipping and a couple weeks to get it.)

Here's the link I used to get the ball rolling:

https://cws.ricoh.co.jp/sss/Inq/inqInfo?name=dc_e_contact

Back