Have you ever had one of those days when...

Lightmancer

Legend
Name
Bill Palmer
...everything goes right?

Not only did I, after two years of hard graft, launch my mobile app for people caring for elderly relatives (CareHound, available now on Google Play and shortly on the App Store in the UK, on Twitter @CareHoundUK and Facebook "CareHound" )...

But I also won a camera.

With this very picture:
View attachment 188936...which of course I have shown here before.

The irony is this. I was in Venice that day to participate in "The Leica One Challenge" a competition I created in my days on the LUF; the rules were simple - one hour, one location, one camera, one lens, 36 exposures, one entry, one winner.

Frustratingly I took this photo an hour before the competition was due to start, on a Panasonic, so it was ineligible.

Fast forward to today. A few weeks ago I entered a competition, on Instagram, run by Leica Camera and the Gentleman's Journal magazine. They were seeking a travel shot.

I knew I was down to the last five, from 850-odd images entered, but you could have knocked me down with a feather when today I found out I had actually won by opening the parcel.

Here's the thing. The One Challenge prize fund that day was about 80 Euros. Today I won a camera whose RRP is more than ten times as much...

I never win anything, but on all fronts, today has been a GOOD day, so please forgive me if I... :dance::dance2::dance3::dance4::D

Congrats! That image is still one of the best I've seen posted on SC / PL / Cameraderie, and a deserved winner of the contest. May I ask which camera you won?

Also, congrats on launching your app - a truly worthwile initiative that outshines any photography award.

Thank you all.

Sorry I should have said - it's a midnight blue C-Lux.

To Luke's question, I think it would be churlish of me to chop it in. I shall likely keep it. It is not my usual style of hardware, though, and the screen is of the touch variety...

HCB himself would have been more than happy to have taken this one..........and so you should be too. Great moment captured. Nice to see good guys win something! Well done!

What I want to know is, did that guy arrive safely ashore or end up in the canal ?
Well, I had stood there myself just a moment before and only my wife grabbing my arm stopped me from a dip in the Grand Canal, it was so slippery... As we walked away I heard the launch approaching and turned to watch. As I raised the camera to my eye, I realised the officer was going to jump... This is the result; I was in single shot mode, so had one chance.

The launch slowed, but did not stop, and accelerated away as soon as he jumped.

Did he make it?

If course he did. I reckon it was part of his daily commute. I use this photo in presentations, often to embody "professional confidence" - something I lecture on.

Sprezzatura incarnate, if you ask me ;)

Back