Fuji Have you received your X-T1 and what do you think?

i was out in the cold, by lake superior, with ice pellets stinging me, trying to move the AF point. what a beach! even if the design had something to do with weather sealing, it just makes no sense why the buttons had to be so flat. they still could have been more pronounced. up & down are especially harder for me.

and i hate having to go to iso control every time rather than being able to just choose my custom setting like on my x-e2.

those are my two major gripes. third is, i want stealth mode back to the disp/back button like the x-e1 and x100s has.

(Sent from another Galaxy via Tapatalk.)

One thing that fascinates me - and comes out in threads like this - is how differently we use the same camera. I'll use Romi as an example (nothing personal Romi) Moving focus point is a non-issue to me; I have never used the feature in any of the (many) cameras I have owned that have had it. I focus and recompose, full-stop. I put it down to shooting that way for many years with film and manual cameras, which I still do regularly to this day. I find it faster and more sure than pressing buttons, which differ from one camera to the next. I realise I tend to use my cameras in quite a straightforward way, setting up custom functions, etc once, and that consistently across bodies, so for example my Ricoh and Fujis are always set with CF1 as monochrome. As a result, many of the concerns being expressed in this thread are non issues to me - except those tiny 4-way buttons!! ;)

Sent from another Galaxy

Picked up a used X-T1 this week to try one out and determine if I wanted to stay with Fuji, and I have to say I'm pretty impressed.

Fuji is obviously learning from previous releases (at least in *most* areas). The X-T1 is pretty much a realization of what I've been waiting for from Fuji since my first forays with the X100 and X-E1. It's not perfect, but it's fantastic, and I haven't felt this immediately comfortable with a camera in a while.

The Good:
* Body design is fantastic for me, feels just right in the hand. Love the weight, shape, and the control placement (though it'll take a little getting used to the different layout).
* Focus speed is finally decent, even with the slow 35mm lens. Just about on par with the A7 and 55mm FE lens now.
* EVF is nice & big and looks great, as you'd expect from the reviews. Dual view is pretty clever, though I'm honestly not sure yet if it's the greatest thing ever or something I'll never actually end up using.
* Focus peaking is implemented much better and eminently usable now for adapted lenses
* Bless you Fuji for continuing to use the same battery model :cool:

The Bad:
* The 4-way controller - ugh. I'm getting used to it, but it's a pretty awful tactile experience compared to the X-E1. At least until I started adjusting I had a lot of missed button presses and difficulty getting to menu items on the first attempt.
* Focus speed still lags in low light some, and with the 35mm it can vary from quick enough for most uses to an incredibly slow rack in, rack out hunting expedition. Not 100% "there" yet but clearly much improved from the X-E1!
* The usual Fuji firmware niggles: why can't I move or resize the focus point when I have face detection on? Why can't I reassign the record button, or assign any function to various buttons? Why are the MF aids only enabled if you've explicitly switched the camera to manual focus mode? That sort of stuff.
* I wish the front and rear command dials could be used to override the top dial settings. Yes, I realize that defeats the purpose of the mechanical dials to some extent but they could have added a setting for override with the control wheels. Twin dials at your fingertips are considerably less useful when you can't truly control the camera settings from them, IMO.

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot one tiny negative so far - the drive mode dial underneath the ISO wheel is too easy to accidentally move. I'm sure I'll get used to it but twice already I've bumped it into CH mode while attempting to adjust the ISO setting.

Jay,

I have many of the same findings, but a couple of notes:

Dual view is very cool tech but something I can't see ever using - it's just too small to be useful. OTOH, the focus peaking is vastly improved and the split image focussing works MUCH better with the big bright clear EVF. Those modes suddenly become far more useful than with previous models so the new feature will fall by the wayside for me... Not that I use manual focus a lot (other than zone focus), but it's a nice option to have in some situations.

Focus speed with the older lenses, particularly the 35 and 60 are more a limitation of the lens than the camera. Sort of like the Panasonic 20mm for m43 - it never really got a lot faster even as the cameras got orders of magnitude faster. I expect that will be the case with the original three lenses too, although the 18 was and is fast enough...

I've had the same issue with the drive mode dial/switch AND with the metering dial/switch on the other side of the hump. I've knocked both of them out of position a couple of times and had to stop to figure out why the camera was taking so long to write the images and why my shots were horribly over or under exposed. These are settings I don't change a lot and I'm personally better off with them on the Q menu where I can't accidentally change them.

The four way controller kind of sucks but I'm with Bill on this one - I so rarely use it I don't really mind it. For changing settings it's OK. For moving focus point it could be a REAL problem, but I also don't do that often. I'm either doing focus/recompose from 40 years of shooting like that or I'm using face detection and letting it find the face. I'm sure Lensmate will make some sort of little nubs for it to raise the surfaces some within a month or two...

-Ray

i just don't like moving the focal plane after focus especially for shallow depth of field (when foreground is further across from back), but mainly for this one reason alone - when i'm shooting from a tripod. something like a boat in the lower corner or a lighthouse in the upper corner, etc. for all other things, handheld, i still focus & recompose as well.

edit: ray, does lensmate make something like that, currently?

Dual view is very cool tech but something I can't see ever using - it's just too small to be useful. OTOH, the focus peaking is vastly improved and the split image focussing works MUCH better with the big bright clear EVF. Those modes suddenly become far more useful than with previous models so the new feature will fall by the wayside for me... Not that I use manual focus a lot (other than zone focus), but it's a nice option to have in some situations.

Focus speed with the older lenses, particularly the 35 and 60 are more a limitation of the lens than the camera. Sort of like the Panasonic 20mm for m43 - it never really got a lot faster even as the cameras got orders of magnitude faster. I expect that will be the case with the original three lenses too, although the 18 was and is fast enough...

[...]

I tend to agree on the Dual view so far, but time will tell. The view is so bright and clear, and the peaking is so much better that I suspect I won't need the magnified view much at all. I'm looking to use the X-T1 with an M mount lens or two so it matter more to me than it would have otherwise.

And yeah, I'm right there with you. I was just thinking yesterday that the Fuji 35mm is exactly like the Panasonic 20mm for m4/3 - it's sharp, renders great, love the optical qualities... but the design just means it's always going to be a sluggish focuser. I just wish it wasn't the 50mm equivalent lens that had to be the slowpoke :D

i just don't like moving the focal plane after focus especially for shallow depth of field (when foreground is further across from back), but mainly for this one reason alone - when i'm shooting from a tripod. something like a boat in the lower corner or a lighthouse in the upper corner, etc. for all other things, handheld, i still focus & recompose as well.

Exactly my thoughts. I use a mix of center focus and recompose and movable AF points, depending on how critical I need focus to be and how shallow the DoF.

Re: the buttons. I'm thinking I'll get used to them over a little bit of time but if it continues to bug me I may pick up some black Sugru and try adding some tiny nubs to the buttons to make them easier to feel and press consistently.

I do not move the focal plane if I can avoid it. I rather move the focus area if that's possible.

Why? It's simple: Not moving the focus area lead to inferior results that fueled a learning process that made me change my former habit.

Basically: I learned from my mistakes.

I do not move the focal plane if I can avoid it. I rather move the focus area if that's possible.

Why? It's simple: Not moving the focus area lead to inferior results that fueled a learning process that made me change my former habit.

On the rare occasions I shoot from a tripod, I'll move the focus area for obvious reasons, but that's EXTREMELY rare. And for really narrow DOF shots I sometimes will, but I've just never gotten used to it. The RX1 had a great feature I used a lot for those type of shots - put the object you want to focus on in the designated focus area, press the center button on the back and the focus square becomes live and follows that object and stays focussed on it no matter where you move it in the frame. So it's just a much more accurate version of focus and re-compose, because the focus keeps up with the recomposition. And for really narrow DOF with people - usually head shots or head/shoulders, I generally just use face detection which basically finds the near eye. I've used this extensively with my Olympus gear and it's wonderful. And I've read the XT1 is pretty good - I'll check it out once I get a 56 f1.2 for sure.

But for everyday handheld shooting of subjects that aren't ultra close, I've never found focus and recompose to be a problem. Not enough mistakes to learn from I guess, at least in that specific area... If I was more of a macro or super narrow DOF type of person I'd probably have to relearn, but I'm not...

-Ray

On the rare occasions I shoot from a tripod, I'll move the focus area for obvious reasons, but that's EXTREMELY rare. And for really narrow DOF shots I sometimes will, but I've just never gotten used to it. The RX1 had a great feature I used a lot for those type of shots - put the object you want to focus on in the designated focus area, press the center button on the back and the focus square becomes live and follows that object and stays focussed on it no matter where you move it in the frame. So it's just a much more accurate version of focus and re-compose, because the focus keeps up with the recomposition. And for really narrow DOF with people - usually head shots or head/shoulders, I generally just use face detection which basically finds the near eye. I've used this extensively with my Olympus gear and it's wonderful. And I've read the XT1 is pretty good - I'll check it out once I get a 56 f1.2 for sure.

I've actually had the Olympus E-P5 face detect focus on fingernails instead of the face a few times.. so far the X-T1's face detect hasn't had that issue.

That reminds me of another X-T1 note.

I tried out face detection on the X-T1 briefly, seems about on par with Sony or Panasonic's implementation. Which is to say it works decently with faces pointed to the camera most of the time, but sometimes gets lost. What I don't like is the X-T1 won't let you move the focus area with face detect on, whereas the GH3 allows you to grab control and move it with the directional pad if needed. I've tentatively added face detect to a Fn button so I can toggle it on and off.

We all learn from our mistakes, and to a much lesser extent, the mistakes of others. One lesson I have learned is not to complicate matters in fast-developing situations by over-reliance on technology.

The RX1 had a great feature I used a lot for those type of shots - put the object you want to focus on in the designated focus area, press the center button on the back and the focus square becomes live and follows that object and stays focussed on it no matter where you move it in the frame.

Yes, most consumer compacts from Fujifilm (up to the X-A1/M1) have this feature, too. I rarely use it, I work more accurately with focus frames, as I don't just pick one of the 49 frames, I also choose one of 5 sizes in order to maximize AF accuracy.

Yes, most consumer compacts from Fujifilm (up to the X-A1/M1) have this feature, too.
Yeah, I know. But I never found them particularly intuitive to work with. Whereas with the RX1, it was almost impossible to AVOID it because that's just what that big center button DID. I don't even recall if it could be programmed away from that function, but if it was, it was pretty limited. And it worked brilliantly, so I used it.

I'm generally happy enough with my ability to get what I want in focus. So I stick to what works for me, imperfect as it may be...

-Ray

Hey just curious, for those in Canada. Did you all receive the free vertical grip or hand grip with your pre-orders? I just received mine but with the hand grip :( I'm sure it should've been shipped with the vertical grip. Please let me know!

Thanks

Hey just curious, for those in Canada. Did you all receive the free vertical grip or hand grip with your pre-orders? I just received mine but with the hand grip :( I'm sure it should've been shipped with the vertical grip. Please let me know!

Thanks
I received mine yesterday from Vistek (Toronto) with the vertical grip for $1299+$40 shipping CAD. My order was placed with them on 2/18.

Thanks
woah! that ain't cool. how is it though?

I received mine yesterday from Vistek (Toronto) with the vertical grip for $1299+$40 shipping CAD. My order was placed with them on 2/18.
i should have pre-ordered with them. was yours placed in-store or online?

After some mis-communication in-store they realized they were in the wrong. I'll be getting it exchanged later this week. Hand grip feels good def needed if you have bigger hands. But I prefer to get a leather half case instead. Just waiting on kaza deluxe to release one. Their cases are amazing.

Back