Fuji Hawaii through the X100...

David_Manning

Regular
I took my X100 to Hawaii last week, and walked Waikiki in Honolulu...terrific beach, terrific people, terrific place! (can you tell, I liked it?).

Here are some images I brought back.

6327077206_3c5a95922e_b.jpg

6329060695_14ab75c6af_b.jpg

6329059937_bfbd15d4e3_b.jpg

6326329267_ef1ab554d2_b.jpg

6326327643_a5689b8db7_b.jpg

6327085288_26aaae917b_b.jpg

Yup, I fell for the same one as Don did - beautiful film like qualities, perfect light and, it goes without saying, a beautiful young woman. I definitely felt that "From Here to Eternity" feeling, a la flysurfer's observation, with that one of the person and their footsteps shot from above - so much so that in my minds eye just now...scrolling back I was sure there was a couple there entwined in each others arms as the waves were rolling in! True! In that one that Don mentioned...and I fell for, it's more of a "South Pacific" infused moment for me.

Obviously you had a wonderful trip!

Thanks guys...it was a short, but enjoyable, trip. I walked seven miles that day...I'm glad I wasn't carrying around a dSLR and lenses!

All the b&w were processed with Nik SilverEfex Pro 2, and I used the Ilford HP5 preset for tonality. I softened the HP5 grain, and did some dodging and burning...basically, darkroom work for a print.

The color shot was processed in Nik ColorEfex Pro. I don't remember the preset I started with.

I have some other b&w images that I'll post on another thread...I'm pretty happy with them too.

I've never played around much with the various film presets in SEP2 since the preview window is so slow and clunky compared to Color Efex, but these look great so I will resolve to be a bit more patient with it. The few images I've tried converting so far with the less grainy Ilford HP5 preset look good; thanks for the tip!

Your images are very nice, it is funny that for what ever reason I leave my x100 home and I only use my GRD for B&W fun when I am working in Hawaii. I might need to rethink that.

I liked the shots, but when I think Hawaii, I think color. The B&W approach doesn't connect with me, though it was done with a good B&W treatment.

Actually I love Hawaii in B&W it sort of turns back the clock a little, I go about once a year for work, so for me it is hard to imagine I do not everything one could think of covered in color for backplates and while they are many times stunning, I just love my personal stuff in B&W more

Thanks for the comments. I actually shot with the plan that they'd be b&w...I set up the X100 for RAW and then put the back LCD in b&w.

The b&w, in my mind, is more timeless. Every Hawaii photo I see is color, so I thought it'd be a good way to see it differently.

Back