Music Headphones thread

Times do change. Interesting about the recording studio. One of my gripes with a lot of music these days is the compression (I guess that's what it's called). For me and my ears it makes the tunes so dang fatiguing. I'm finding a lot of smaller labels/ artists producing independently that seem to do better sound recording and the music sounds so much better. To my ears anyways.
You are so correct about that. That used to be called “FM mix” and eventually evolved into frequency floors and ceilings with enough added compression to get the largest amount of information over the wire in the least amount of time. Most people these days have no idea what is being missed out on - dynamic range. I get so much satisfaction playing a really good direct to disk recording on real equipment designed to reproduce it for people who have never experienced that. The look on their face is priceless.

You are so correct about that. That used to be called “FM mix” and eventually evolved into frequency floors and ceilings with enough added compression to get the largest amount of information over the wire in the least amount of time. Most people these days have no idea what is being missed out on - dynamic range. I get so much satisfaction playing a really good direct to disk recording on real equipment designed to reproduce it for people who have never experienced that. The look on their face is priceless.

I'll bet that is a fun time.

What I have found interesting is that with some just minor and slightly frugal (as audio stuff goes) changes in gear, the changes of the music coming out of my computer are, in some cases, quite significant.

Just with that little USB DAC to a decent set of 'phones I'm hearing so much more in the FLACS I burned of discs I have (which aren't studio masters by any stretch). Even youtube audio sounds better, some of it surprisingly so.

Next step for me is going to be looking at hires source materials and see how much of a difference I can hear with my crapified hearing.

Maybe not really to the point. But I like to read Thom Hogan, and he mentioned just a few days ago the term Konmari.

I looked it up, and ordered a book by Marie Kondo. It’s both for myself, and my wife 😅

After I get the initial de-cluttering of my small apartment done, and then get the 10x10 storage room emptied I'll be looking into that. I'm at that point in my life where I do not need nor want a lot of stuff. Just what I need with a little of what I want. (I actually miss my early AF days, being able to pack in a few bags and a few boxes, load up the car/ pickup and move to the next assignment. So stress-free, so little excess stuff, so easy to move/ travel.)

The only headphones I would ever use was Sennheiser HD 414x, the first open air design phones that started it all. For me, it was all about transient response and accuracy along with the ability to wear them all day everyday.
The first headphones I ever owned; talked my father into spending the huge sum of $30 for them as a birthday present. One of the best headphones I've ever had but the cables were so fragile.
I have very minimal hearing loss, but a nasty case of tinnitus.
Me too! I have always protected my hearing but tinnitus is in the brain so don't know what I could have done to prevent it.
I had a set of Koss Pro 4AAA closed headphones, heavy but reasonably comfortable and good sounding. Went to a couple of off-brand cans and ended up with Beyerdynamic DT-831 closed headphones. I tried the Sennheiser HD580 and sold them within 6 months. I really noticed the 'Sennheiser veil' that the headphone fanatics alluded to. I also bought a set of Beyerdynamic DT-880 and liked but didn't ultimately love them, so they got sold off after a couple of years. The DT-831 are still my preferred cans. I use a custom PPA headphone amp with stepped attenator, crossfeed and 80Hz and below bass boost. The crossfeed and bass boost can be switched on or off. I normally use a Carver H9-AV processor for the crossfeed function. I use either the direct analog output from my McIntosh MCD205 CD player or the analog feed from my MDA700 DAC. Sort of a tossup.
I started into portable IEMs (in-ear monitors) with a set of Shure e4. The fixed cable started to crap out so I went to the Shure SE425, which I use to this day with my smartphone.

The first headphones I ever owned; talked my father into spending the huge sum of $30 for them as a birthday present. One of the best headphones I've ever had but the cables were so fragile.

Me too! I have always protected my hearing but tinnitus is in the brain so don't know what I could have done to prevent it.
I had a set of Koss Pro 4AAA closed headphones, heavy but reasonably comfortable and good sounding. Went to a couple of off-brand cans and ended up with Beyerdynamic DT-831 closed headphones. I tried the Sennheiser HD580 and sold them within 6 months. I really noticed the 'Sennheiser veil' that the headphone fanatics alluded to. I also bought a set of Beyerdynamic DT-880 and liked but didn't ultimately love them, so they got sold off after a couple of years. The DT-831 are still my preferred cans. I use a custom PPA headphone amp with stepped attenator, crossfeed and 80Hz and below bass boost. The crossfeed and bass boost can be switched on or off. I normally use a Carver H9-AV processor for the crossfeed function. I use either the direct analog output from my McIntosh MCD205 CD player or the analog feed from my MDA700 DAC. Sort of a tossup.
I started into portable IEMs (in-ear monitors) with a set of Shure e4. The fixed cable started to crap out so I went to the Shure SE425, which I use to this day with my smartphone.

Tinnitus can be caused by several things, simple cause for my tinnitus was the time component regarding the loud noises. The audiologist who evaluated me when it became noticeable inflight low-level formation flight said I was a textbook example of a mil member who actually wore their provided hearing protection. Minimal or no hearing loss, but tinnitus. (There were a lot who claimed they wore theirs, but didn't, and had actual hearing loss. Most of them also had tinnitus.) At the time, really nothing I could have done to prevent it other than working an office job.

Have no idea what the veiling sounds like. Not sure I'll be able to hear it.

My amplifier (Pioneer SA-1000) and speakers (Tannoy 15" Monitor Gold) date back 50 years, same with my Thorens TD150 turntable. Added CD players later.

The basic setup gives 20-23 k/cs ±0.5 dB - i.e. flat response, no 'colour'.

The Tannoys now live in a 6,000 cu.ft. room, on a concrete floor, which is optimal for a number of reasons.

I have both Sennheiser and Pioneer headphones. The Pioneer are superior IMHO.

Having both hearing loss and tinnitus from shooting high powered rifles in my youth, I listen to music far less than I did ... :( .

The closest to ''audiophile'' headphones I got, were a pair of Sony MDR-7506! I would connect them to the AKAI AV receiver, then, receiver to my PC. Well, at least it was loud.. while it lasted.
Now, I mostly use Bluetooth head(ear)phones.

My amplifier (Pioneer SA-1000) and speakers (Tannoy 15" Monitor Gold) date back 50 years, same with my Thorens TD150 turntable. Added CD players later.

The basic setup gives 20-23 k/cs ±0.5 dB - i.e. flat response, no 'colour'.

The Tannoys now live in a 6,000 cu.ft. room, on a concrete floor, which is optimal for a number of reasons.

I have both Sennheiser and Pioneer headphones. The Pioneer are superior IMHO.

Having both hearing loss and tinnitus from shooting high powered rifles in my youth, I listen to music far less than I did ... :( .

Long ago in a galaxy far far away I had a Pioneer SA-5something receiver. Solid little unit. Kinda miss the days of having a good audio setup, but not really missing the big stuff anymore.

Sorry to hear you're not listening as much anymore. :(

For me, the music provides some masking of the tinnitus on top of the other relaxation. I might be in the same boat as you if my hearing loss was worse.

Most of the ‘popular’ music today seems to me so over produced and tinted with auto tuned vocals that is sounds soulless. Certainly there are exceptions, but for the most part it provides little emotional impact and in fact can get annoying very quickly.

Long ago in a galaxy far far away I had a Pioneer SA-5something receiver. Solid little unit. Kinda miss the days of having a good audio setup, but not really missing the big stuff anymore.

Sorry to hear you're not listening as much anymore. :(

For me, the music provides some masking of the tinnitus on top of the other relaxation. I might be in the same boat as you if my hearing loss was worse.
The SA-500 was the "bottom of the range", but an excellent amplifier nonetheless. Flat response and very little distortion. Certainly a lot less expensive than the SA-900 / SA-1000 series, just less powerful, and that "2%" lesser sound quality that I cannot hear now anyway.

I have inherited a pair of little Tannoys (about 5-7 kgs each, not 50 kgs each) and a Pioneer amp without any tone controls (!) that has flat response and little THD or IHD. It just lacks the extremely expensive Baxendall negative feedback tone control unit in my SA-1000, among other features.

You are right about that extra "2%". Double the price for each incremental improvement ... !

Most of the ‘popular’ music today seems to me so over produced and tinted with auto tuned vocals that is sounds soulless. Certainly there are exceptions, but for the most part it provides little emotional impact and in fact can get annoying very quickly.
Yeah. I avoid music on CD that is 'ADD' rather than 'AAD' (straight, unedited conversion from analogue to digital, with no editing).

Love:

Carl Orff's "Carmina Burana", Bach's "Toccata in D", Rolling Stone's "Paint it Black", etc. I have several hundred CDs, and similar collection of vinyl.

Yeah. I avoid music on CD that is 'ADD' rather than 'AAD' (straight, unedited conversion from analogue to digital, with no editing).

Love:

Carl Orff's "Carmina Burana", Bach's "Toccata in D", Rolling Stone's "Paint it Black", etc. I have several hundred CDs, and similar collection of vinyl.

IIRC, that's probably most of my issue with my CDs and the FLACs. Before I ever knew the difference I never looked for AAD vs ADD, and most are probably ADD.

IIRC, that's probably most of my issue with my CDs and the FLACs. Before I ever knew the difference I never looked for AAD vs ADD, and most are probably ADD.
Gordo, it's like the difference between a standard HMV LP and their Angel series records. Back in the day, the former were $3.75 and the latter about $27 ...

I have the Carmina Burana on both HMV Angel LP and an AAD CD taken from the same 35mm master tapes. The CD just kills the LP for resolution and DR ...

[Edit] The master tapes were made on Ampex 35mm reel to reel tape decks at 30 inches per second. Recordings were second to none ... [end edit].

If you are not familiar with the recording, it is a full symphony orchestra, the choir of King's College, Cambridge plus the Wandsworth Boys Choir, sung in Latin. The songs were written and sung by wandering minstrels around 1200 AD.

I also recommend any of Hildegard of Bingen's music from the similar era.

Last edited:
Only one of my myriad of headphone solutions (as for others, I guess headphones were my first GAS station ;)), though the most satisfying one on the whole:
Bowers & Wilkins P5 Series 2 via Chord Mojo/Poly - mobilising HiFi in earnest:

Z60_4036.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I also love to use the old, but somehow still wonderful Sennheiser HD560 with the Mojo/Poly combo.

All that said, the device that impressed me most in the last couple of years was - a Sony, the WH1000X III. It's a noise-cancelling bluetooth behemoth, but it sounds really convincingly nice. Not as musically pleasing as either of my wired favourites on the Mojo(/Poly), but the stand-alone performance is seriously good.

The discussions in this thread took me way back - and rekindled my almost forgotten pleasure in listening to good music via good electronics. Thanks!

M.

Only one of my myriad of headphone solutions (as for others, I guess headphones were my first GAS station ;)), though the most satisfying one on the whole:
Bowers & Wilkins P5 Series 2 via Chord Mojo/Poly - mobilising HiFi in earnest:

View attachment 314865

I also love to use the old, but somehow still wonderful Sennheiser HD560 with the Mojo/Poly combo.

All that said, the device that impressed me most in the last couple of years was - a Sony, the WH1000X III. It's a noise-cancelling bluetooth behemoth, but it sounds really convincingly nice. Not as musically pleasing as either of my wired favourites on the Mojo(/Poly), but the stand-alone performance is seriously good.

The discussions in this thread took me way back - and rekindled my almost forgotten pleasure in listening to good music via good electronics. Thanks!

M.
I've often wondered how these B&W sound..

I've often wondered how these B&W sound..
Warm without being fat, clean without being sharp, with a little emphasis on lower mid tones that makes voices smooth and full-sounding. All while being overall true and reliable - not too analytical, but far from muddy. A pleasure to listen to for hours on end - much more so than even the very well rounded Sony.

I don't know what you have access to - but I find the B&W P5 S2 a specific and very worthwhile upgrade over a classic favourite of mine, the Sennheiser HD25 - a monitor pair with exceptional precision I trust over almost everything else. The Sennheiser is just a little stricter and cooler - without any major downsides all by itself. But it doesn't inspite the same level of emotional well-being into listening for longer periods of time. Unfortunately, I find the HD25 also hard to keep on with both ears covered for longer periods of time. My glass are the real culprits here - the tight fit of the Sennheiser tends to make them dig into the sides of the head.

Anyway, just used the P5 S2 again - as well as the Sony and the Sennheiser HD560. Yes, the Sony is my best stand-alone solution, very good - but a bit technical, a bit harsh by comparison, not as musical. Quick and clean, though. The HD560, however - man, I don't know what it is, but I love it, in spite of the lack of bite and bass compared to other models. It's just transparent and crystal clear - at low to medium volumes, that is, but I'm fine with that. Still, not a headphone that travels well, so I'm all the happier with the P5 S2 (and the Sony).

I guess I have to have a listen to the HD25 next - I'm afraid I may have to return to this thread a few times :)

M.

I was just about to come ask Matt about the P5. :)

It was literally yesterday when I checked the local used hifi gear, maybe get something new and affordable for the summer. Ears get hot and humid and there's skin trouble because I listen to so many hours a day.

P5 might have some durability issues which are putting me off. They do look comfy and like something I could give a listen a few hours a day to give my ears a rest from the other headphones.

The seller of said pair also said he has a pair of Beyerdynamic T51i for sale.

I like comfy so I am also interested in full-size closed Sennheisers. Oh, the choices!

Back