Hello! Anyone have an Olympus TG6?

Bugvet

Hello,
I have a passion for photographing insects, and love my little TG6, but I need a tripod. Can someone recommend a lightweight, collapsible tripod that has enough length that I can capture insects on branches 3-4 ft off the ground. Even with photo stacking, sometimes my old hands can't be still enough! Thanks!

:Welcome: to the forum.

Methinks that you are looking at the (very) wrong camera for such a purpose.

Even an original E-M5 with either the mFTs Olympus f/2.8 60mm macro would serve you much better, or an adapted FTs f2.8 150mm Sigma macro (not the 105mm Sigma).
Thanks for your advice.

I saw some wonderful photos and asked the photographer what lens she used. She told me she cheated and got this cool little point n shoot that has photostacking. My goal was compact and tough, as I had considered a macro lens for my dslr. I was delighted to receive my little Olympus as a gift! For birds and scenes I use my slr, and someday I will get a macro, but just for the joy of hiking and sneaking up on a cool bug, I love my TG. Btw, I will check out the sogma macro you mentioned as I don't think Olympus will fit my canon?

Attachments

• OI000197.JPG
    OI000197.JPG
    415.5 KB · Views: 102
  • blister 2.JPG
    blister 2.JPG
    243 KB · Views: 76
  • OI000056.JPG
    OI000056.JPG
    285.3 KB · Views: 72
  • OI000015.JPG
    OI000015.JPG
    526.6 KB · Views: 83
  • OI000008.JPG
    OI000008.JPG
    364.4 KB · Views: 78
I use one of those cheap table top tripods with rubber coated (somthing) flexible legs with my TG5.
Not good to hold anything but good enough to steady a TG camera for stacks,
I just screw it to the bottom get the height just a little to high then push down. The legs buckle down to the required height and steady the camera

Works on the side of trees as well

Welcome to the forum @Bugvet! You've got good captures there and it's good to hear Olympus included their focus-stacking in the TG-6.

I have a passion for photographing insects, and love my little TG6, but I need a tripod. Can someone recommend a lightweight, collapsible tripod that has enough length that I can capture insects on branches 3-4 ft off the ground. Even with photo stacking, sometimes my old hands can't be still enough! Thanks!
The suggestion of @JensM is a good one. You can also look at a SLIK Sprint Pro III.
1655207726578.png

It depends on your budget but it's best to go for a tripod that can serve your Canon, as well.
Btw, I will check out the sogma macro you mentioned as I don't think Olympus will fit my canon?
It won't as it's a completely different system. Which Canon model do you have?

I use one of those cheap table top tripods with rubber coated (somthing) flexible legs with my TG5.
Not good to hold anything but good enough to steady a TG camera for stacks,
I just screw it to the bottom get the height just a little to high then push down. The legs buckle down to the required height and steady the camera

Works on the side of trees as well
Just like this Joby tripod?
1655208217654.png

I tend to carry an aluminum “C” clamp that I drilled a hole in to hold a 1/4 - 20 bolt. I also use a walking staff in the woods (old age and all..). I can use the staff, a branch, fence post, concrete rail, etc., and I don’t have to carry anything extra. I’ve used the smallest of cameras up through medium format cameras in the same way. Keeps thing simple and multi-purpose for me. And… you never know when a clamp will come in handy otherwise in a pinch.

Back