Hello from Brisbane, QLD, Australia

griffljg

Top Veteran
Name
Larry Griffiths
I am originally from South Africa, but have lived in Australia since 1994.

I have been taking photos since my grandmother gave me a Kodak 127 "Brownie" on my 6th birthday. Then I used a Kodak Instamatic 33 for my later school and university days. At the end of my first year's work, I decided to buy myself an Olympus OM-2N SLR, which became my constant companion on my tours through southern Africa. My photography became a way to remind me of places I have been, things I have seen and when. - The OM-2N had a data back. The first photo which I took each day had the date imprinted onto the photo. But sometimes I forgot to turn it on (or off). I have always had a shocking memory. Our house was flooded in January 1995 and most of my photographs and negatives were destroyed. Except for the slides, which were in slide trays on top of a cupboard. So they survived. Since moving to digital photography in mid-2005, I have been almost paranoid about my backup procedures.

When I traded in the OM-2N in 1994, I felt like a traitor ditching an old friend and swore "Never again!" Since that day, I have never sold any of my old cameras and only one lens. My old cameras (and some of those from friends) are "retired" to an "Old Camera Museum" in my lounge room.

In the digital era, I have moved from Olympus to Canon and then back to Olympus as my ageing body started to protest about carrying around bulky "full frame" cameras and their lenses. My current most-used camera is an OM System (Olympus) OM-1 with an Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mk III as a backup. I also have a decent array of 4/3 and m4/3 lenses which are usually enough to fulfill most of my photographic needs.

I have continued to move through many realms of photography - travel, landscape, cityscape, documentary for work purposes, motorsport, wildlife and am now playing around with photographing birds (of the feathered variety). This is proving to be very challenging. Needless to say, I am having fun.

I take all my photos in raw format, because I just know that I am going to edit them. Sloping horizons send me batty and I feel that, together with Capture One Pro, I can do a better job with highlight and shadow recovery than the camera can. ;)

Welcome Larry
Actually thought you were here. So yes, welcome.

I'm waiting for the 1 to come on a sale. It sounds a decent camera
Thanks Richard. I retired at the end of August and so I'll hopefully have a bit more time to spend on photography. Either that, or else I'll get bored out of my mind.

I am reminded of what one of our profs said at university: "One of the great things about being an engineer is that your work can become your hobby."

"Great!" I thought. "But what happens when you retire? - You lose both your work and your hobby." Fortunately I have been playing around with cameras and computers for quite a long time (Kodak 127 'Brownie' from 1961 and Fortran IV on an IBM 370 from 1972). Recognising that Engineering is both a Science and an Art, digital photography gives me an outlet to continue playing around with both.

And yes. The OM-1 is some camera. I am having a lot of fun finding out what it can do.

Back