Hello from Copenhagen, Denmark!

Chris2500dk

Top Veteran
Hi everyone.

I came across SeriousCompacts.com while browsing around the web looking for new inspiration. Ah who am I kidding, I found this site in a GAS fuelled Google marathon looking for opinions on new gear :D
I tend to do that quite a bit..

I'm in my mid thirties but started playing around with photography rather late. My first serious camera was a Nikon D40, which was then upgraded to a D5000.
I supplemented that with a Canon S95 based on the raving reviews and I've been quite happy with it.

I then stumbled across Carl Rytterfalk's blog, and his enthusiasm for the Sigma Foveon sensor along with the images he posted and his entertaining and instructional videos led me quickly to getting a Sigma DP1.
Eventually than led to a DP1x since I was rather tired of having to wait for the DP1 to be ready for the next shot, and then a DP2s as I found a reasonably priced one on Ebay.

I managed to drop my S95 while on holiday and the lens got a bit of a knock so it wouldn't open without me pushing it slightly on startup. That wasn't really ideal so I ended up buying another S95 for a pocket cam, which my wife quickly proclaimed "her camera" so I was back to pushing on the lens on the one I dropped :rolleyes:
Oddly enough, the original S95 now works perfectly again, I guess my pushing the lens all the time has put it back in alignment. I haven't been able to see any problems with the images so that's great.

I picked up an Olympus XZ-1, but I've recently sold it. It fell in between the Sigmas and the S95, couldn't compete with the Sigmas for daylight shooting and was bigger than the S95. I also liked the feel of the S95 better, the camera feels more sturdy and I like the menus better.

The DSLRs are sold as well. I did some comparisons and I preferred the Sigmas in daylight shooting, most likely because the Sigma lenses outperformed my Nikon zooms, but I didn't see a point in keeping them when I'd rather run around with my Sigmas.

So for now my kit is a Sigma DP1x, a Sigma DP2s and the Canon S95, and I feel it works quite well for me.
Most of what I shoot is in the landscape/cityscape category, no kids or pets that require the fast AF of a DSLR.
Of course having said that I'll probably stumble across a deal I can't refuse and end up trying something new. I have been looking hard at the Fuji X100..

This ended up being a bit longer than I had in mind, but SeriousCompacts looks like a nice forum and it fits my current camera lineup perfectly, so I'm glad to be here and I'm looking forward to taking part in some entertaining and enlightening debates.

Cheers
Chris

Chris, many thanks and don't even think twice about your intro being too long! It's always interesting to find out how people find their way here, and what's going been going on with them from a photographic life perspective. Now, I'll be looking forward to seeing some of your photographs and getting to know you through the discussions on the board.

Glad to have you here!:th_salute:

Sounds like you got everything well organized Chris. I will be doing that this upcoming year as I sort through a bunch of film cameras I collected. Don't think I could ever get rid of my DSLR though.. I'm a macro fiend and macro with big glass is far superior to macro with compact glass. Welcome to the forum and your intro wasn't too long. I think I just said hello, myself when I joined about a month ago ;)

Hiya Chris, welcome welcome! Come on in and show us what you've been up to.

Rumour has it it's BBW's round, but I suspect her purse is full of moths.... ;-)

Hi and welcome ! I'm new as well but already managed to get myself entangled with the Singles in January and the weekly challenges, when photography gets its evil hands around you there's no escape!! :tongue:

Back