Hello from England

Dewi Sant

Veteran
Name
Guess?
Hi all, I've been mooching around here for a week or so now getting some insight into these smaller cameras. It seems like a nice place to be with some helpful people, so as I'm not signed up to any other photo forums now thought I'd register here.

A bit about me. I worked as a photographer (own business) for a good number if years in the days of film. I like to keep my hand in so shoot mainly for my own pleasure these days. I've never been what you could call a "gear head" .. i.e I'm not that bothered about what cameras I use to take my photos as long as it gives good results, I do gravitate towards Canon though - I mostly used their SLR gear through my professional life and it just stuck, last ones were 2 T90s along with one Nikon and a couple of Mamiya medium formats. I like to travel light so have in the past used digital compacts which never gave brilliant results but were very convenient. I never buy expensive camera bodies now as I am by my own admission a terrible abuser of my kit, it gets dropped, soaked frozen and fried so I prefer to keep things cheap! Present DSLR is a Canon 550D body but I do like to use decent lenses so tend to go for Canon 'L', my present carry around lens which is more or less permanently fixed to my camera is a 17- 40L. I shoot a bit of motorsport now and then for which I use a 300 Canon zoom.

I also do a fair bit of travelling - including some road trips by motorbike or car (mostly car now due to a hefty heart attack last year). I'm now in the market for a smaller lighter camera to take on my travels so been looking at various makes and models and will be asking for some sage advice on other threads if there are no objections to that?

Thats about it really. Look forward to chatting to some of you on other theads

D :)

Thanks for the welcome, chaps. I have a couple of cameras in mind so I'll pop for a look around the forum to see what's being said about them - although one of them I've not seen mentioned here, maybe I need to look harder :)

D

Hi Dewi, nice to see someone living in the real God's own country...I moved down south (Cheshire) 20 years ago but still consider myself a Lancastrian through and through.
For a true compact that delivers excellent IQ, look no further than the Sony RX100 (haven't tried the MkII but if you can make the extra money, the tilting screen is probably worth it for low-level shots). It has some downsides, principally that you need to buy a stick-on grip or you will inevitably drop it, but it's a cracking little camera.

Thanks very much guys, I have considered the RX100 but the only things that put me off are: I'm not keen on the "blade" lens cover. I had a Sony compact a few years ago and within a few months they got jammed, so I much prefer a proper lens cap now - even if they do get lost periodically. I think I'd also like one of the interchangeable lens cameras so I've been looking at the M4/3 offerings, I've been very impressed by the image quality from them with a decent lens attached . I've just popped a thread on the 4/3 forum which is a bit more specific of my preferences.

D

Back