Hello…from Nikon Cafe

Rick-Reno

Rick Reno, I live in N. Idaho, about 45 miles south of Canada. I use Nikon cameras, and came here via Nikon Cafe. Someone there posted a URL to here and said it was a good place to be.
Feels a lot like the Cafe, it’s easy to share photos which is nice. I’m in the “wait and see” boat with the Cafe given it’s recent change in ownership.

:Welcome: Rick.

It seems that many are fleeing Vertical Scope.
This is starting to feel a bit like a Solomon's Baby situation. If everybody stayed in one place at the old forums, they would continue to work. If everybody moved here, that would also work (and be easier for those of us that shoot with multiple systems). But staying in both seems like an awkward situation as critical mass is generally needed to keep the "feel" and pace of any forum. I like that Kevin is Kevin and not some mega-conglomerate (unless he's made a conglomerate out of the 1980's, aliens and a tiki lounge🕺:alien:🍹), but I also hate to walk away from the old sites if nothing has actually changed with respect to day to day visits since they are functioning fine at the moment. If/when the new owners did something to really change the forums for the worse, it would have been much easier for me to have walked away cleanly without wondering why I left.

--Ken

This is starting to feel a bit like a Solomon's Baby situation. If everybody stayed in one place at the old forums, they would continue to work. If everybody moved here, that would also work (and be easier for those of us that shoot with multiple systems). But staying in both seems like an awkward situation as critical mass is generally needed to keep the "feel" and pace of any forum. I like that Kevin is Kevin and not some mega-conglomerate (unless he's made a conglomerate out of the 1980's, aliens and a tiki lounge🕺:alien:🍹), but I also hate to walk away from the old sites if nothing has actually changed with respect to day to day visits since they are functioning fine at the moment. If/when the new owners did something to really change the forums for the worse, it would have been much easier for me to have walked away cleanly without wondering why I left.

--Ken
Ken, I suspect that I'm not the only one who got seriously pissed off at VS wanting to have co-ownership (effectively) of my images, regardless of the fact that they may well all be worthless.

So far, I have counted 15-17 regular contributors who have departed from the now VS owned fora.

That will massively impact regular traffic on those fora, and make this one more lively, in a good way.

Long may @Kevin continue to provide this haven (just continue to keep the NRA under control, Kevin). How things can change, in an instant ...

I like that Kevin is Kevin and not some mega-conglomerate (unless he's made a conglomerate out of the 1980's, aliens and a tiki lounge🕺:alien:🍹)
What's kind of funny, for me at least, is that the footer links with the other sites were added more so to be picked up by Google while our members here have mostly ignored them up till now. With an influx of new visitors here checking out the site, including the footer links, all of a sudden folks are realizing "Hey, you know, Kevin is a bit of geek!". :LOL:

For anybody wondering about them, I'll try to be brief. I've been online a long time (like, a really long time), going back to running a large BBS back in the days of dial-up in the 80's. Over the years I've had a bunch of interests and have been involved in several projects but the the sci-fi/genre site has been usually where I call 'home' online. At some point I scaled everything back and dropped out of everything/everywhere except for a few things that I consolidated into what is now named "Alien Soup". The full back-story of that site alone would be a long conversation in itself. Back in 2018 I was fortunate to be able to add Cameraderie to my project list and, really, it's been a great mental relief because it allows me to work on code. Fast forward a few years and we're in a pandemic. So to keep me busy mentally during the winter of 2020 I did "Tiki Lounge" aimed at fans of US tiki pop culture, mid-century modern design, and that time period in general. For the winter of 2021 I'm keeping busy mentally by working on "WLT80's" aimed at fans of the best decade ;). If the pandemic extends into the winter of 2022 I don't even want to guess what the next one might be. 🤣

What's kind of funny, for me at least, is that the footer links with the other sites were added more so to be picked up by Google while our members here have mostly ignored them up till now. With an influx of new visitors here checking out the site, including the footer links, all of a sudden folks are realizing "Hey, you know, Kevin is a bit of geek!". :LOL:

For anybody wondering about them, I'll try to be brief. I've been online a long time (like, a really long time), going back to running a large BBS back in the days of dial-up in the 80's. Over the years I've had a bunch of interests and have been involved in several projects but the the sci-fi/genre site has been usually where I call 'home' online. At some point I scaled everything back and dropped out of everything/everywhere except for a few things that I consolidated into what is now named "Alien Soup". The full back-story of that site alone would be a long conversation in itself. Back in 2018 I was fortunate to be able to add Cameraderie to my project list and, really, it's been a great mental relief because it allows me to work on code. Fast forward a few years and we're in a pandemic. So to keep me busy mentally during the winter of 2020 I did "Tiki Lounge" aimed at fans of US tiki pop culture, mid-century modern design, and that time period in general. For the winter of 2021 I'm keeping busy mentally by working on "WLT80's" aimed at fans of the best decade ;). If the pandemic extends into the winter of 2022 I don't even want to guess what the next one might be. 🤣
So, do you ever like...take a picture?

Ken, I suspect that I'm not the only one who got seriously pissed off at VS wanting to have co-ownership (effectively) of my images, regardless of the fact that they may well all be worthless.

So far, I have counted 15-17 regular contributors who have departed from the now VS owned fora.

That will massively impact regular traffic on those fora, and make this one more lively, in a good way.

Long may @Kevin continue to provide this haven (just continue to keep the NRA under control, Kevin). How things can change, in an instant ...
I would be curious to know the total number of members at mu-43 and the cafe, as well as how many are actively participating in each forum. And while there was certainly this uptick in migration, I have no idea if it will move the needle in any of the forums. I liked to keep my participation in forums to a manageable number, so adding one is not a major issue, but I can say that while I have enjoyed both of the forums that I mentioned, one key aspect that kept me coming back was the abundance of knowledgeable replies. I like the social aspects, but there are times when I also appreciate having a good source of information from people I can trust. Growltiger, for example, was active in both forums and has been a font of IT technical assistance these past few years. That's why I find critical mass to be as important as friendliness.

--Ken

Rick Reno, I live in N. Idaho, about 45 miles south of Canada. I use Nikon cameras, and came here via Nikon Cafe. Someone there posted a URL to here and said it was a good place to be.
Feels a lot like the Cafe, it’s easy to share photos which is nice. I’m in the “wait and see” boat with the Cafe given it’s recent change in ownership.

Welcome Rick!

I had no idea. I think I must be a clone.

Enjoy photography? Check.

SciFi nut? Check.

Big fan of mid-century modern/ atomic age? Check.

80's best decade? Check.

I'll be checking out your other sites. :cool:

:Welcome: Rick.

It seems that many are fleeing Vertical Scope.
Well, not fleeing.
But I do work in a big company, everything is very formal and regulated.
I am an 80s person, and I see the world around me stuck in more and more regulation. (Germany is a leader here 😞 )

Taking pictures is my "relief".
And I just dislike that idea that "my fav forum" is just another regulated and mass-organized business, not following the users or use-case, but the "lean and profitable" trail in a one-fits-all approach.

Yeah, I might be old-fashioned here.
But as long as I have the choice...

Michael

Hi, gang! When I saw the post in the thread at NC I was reminded that, oh, yeah, a long time ago I had been a member of this forum, so came and took a quick look around and decided I'd been missing out on a lot. At the time I joined I was still using Nikon but in 2019 switched to Sony, and although people are fine with that over at the Cafe, it still feels odd, although there are a few other Sony shooters there.

Anyway, to clarify, I am definitely not bolting out of Nikon Cafe -- I've been there since 2005 and along with other long-time members have weathered other changes and am more than willing to wait, watch and see what happens next, but it definitely does feel different now, knowing that there is a large faceless corporation at the helm rather than an individual owner. Nikon Cafe has been like "family" for so long and I'd like to think that everything will work out fine once we all get through the initial period and once we see how much or how little impact is felt on the user end of this. In general, the admins and moderators are the ones who will be dealing more closely with the new owners' reps, rather than everyday members.

Since this site has a Sony-specific section, I'll probably be hanging out in there much of the time.....

Haha, I like SciFi, but I’m not a big Trekkie or anything. I’ll go a step further and say my favorite Star Trek series was not the original or TNG, but DS9, where there was an actual story arc and the characters actually learned from their mistakes. :D

In regard to this or that forum, I’ve yet to post an image in either since the VS bomb was dropped. I’m not a photographer for a living, but I am learning something with a bag of popcorn in my lap.

Haha, I like SciFi, but I’m not a big Trekkie or anything. I’ll go a step further and say my favorite Star Trek series was not the original or TNG, but DS9, where there was an actual story arc and the characters actually learned from their mistakes. :D

In regard to this or that forum, I’ve yet to post an image in either since the VS bomb was dropped. I’m not a photographer for a living, but I am learning something with a bag of popcorn in my lap.
DS9 was my favorite as well! I've watched that series several times...in fact, it may be about time for me to start it over.

Back