Hello from Oaxaca

dysmedia

Rookie
Hi all. I'm a Canadian living in Oaxaca, Mexico. Just starting to get interested in serious compacts: I've been looking at the Ricoh GR. In fact, back in the day, I shot film with a Ricoh GR1 (and published a few photos with it -- didn't tell my editor they were taken with a point-and-shoot). I'm mostly a writer, but I often do the photography for my own stories, if the photo department can tolerate the concept of a writer with a camera. (Most do, after fierce initial resistance.)

I'll be interested in seeing what kind of results people are getting with the GR.

Nice to be here.

Doug

Hi all. I'm a Canadian living in Oaxaca, Mexico. Just starting to get interested in serious compacts: I've been looking at the Ricoh GR. In fact, back in the day, I shot film with a Ricoh GR1 (and published a few photos with it -- didn't tell my editor they were taken with a point-and-shoot). I'm mostly a writer, but I often do the photography for my own stories, if the photo department can tolerate the concept of a writer with a camera. (Most do, after fierce initial resistance.)

I'll be interested in seeing what kind of results people are getting with the GR.

Nice to be here.

Doug

Welcome, Doug. Perhaps photography by the writer of a given story is still unusual where you work, but it's becoming de rigueur in more and more shops. What's life like in Oaxaca?

Hi Doug,

welcome to this very friendly forum. And for your question about the GR, Im a 'GR shooter' myself. and love it. definitely my favorite compact of 2013.

here are some examples

11447645886_3b8c422e09_c.jpg

. by Chris Leskovsek, on Flickr

View attachment 82672

11379107164_4aeac16b80_c.jpg

View attachment 82674

View attachment 82675

9816505034_800b752f48_c.jpg

Untitled by Chris Leskovsek, on Flickr

9883592456_f66a87d2b1_c.jpg

Untitled by Chris Leskovsek, on Flickr

9482691001_17d20c48b6_c.jpg

Fill the gap... by Chris Leskovsek, on Flickr

Thanks, all! For some reason I didn't realize that I had all of these comments -- I *thought* I had things set up to email me whenever I get responses to a thread.

Biro, life's good in Oaxaca. Pretty loud this time of year.

As for writer/photographers: with print magazines it's always been an issue at the beginning. None of the magazines I've worked for are accustomed to this arrangement. Photo departments fiercely guard their independence, which is easy to understand -- it's a political matter. (Editorial wouldn't be happy if the photo department pushed writers at them.)

I'm pretty much set on buying a GR. It will be interesting to see how the results compare to what I've been getting with a Nikon D7100. What's been posted here is extremely impressive.

Back