Hello from Scotland

HeatherTheVet

Top Veteran
Name
Heather
Hi guys, I'm not really sure how to introduce myself here. I'm a vet from Scotland, into the great outdoors and music, and my latest toy/obsession is this wee camera, the Sony NEX-5. For the first time I'm taking the sort of pictures that could see before but never capture. I'm a photography beginner really so a lot of the helpful advice sails blithely over my head, but its really great to see what everyone else is doing with theirs. And hopefully little by little I'll get there, and work out how to use it properly.

Thanks for the help, direct or otherwise, and I look forward to seeing your pictures
H

Heather, welcome. Where in Scotland are you?
I have family in Hawick.
Please feel at home here and post some photos so we can see what your seeing.
Don....

ps... I'm a vet also...USArmy

Hi Heather and welcome to SC. I'm orginally from just across the sea in Ireland and also a NEXer? NEXie? I have a NEX.

Looking forward to seeing your pics from Scotland.

I'm from the East but I live in the West, down in Glasgow. I have worked very near Hawick though, a great town if you like pubs and butcher shops. Don- my uncle is a veteran too, he was in the US Rangers. We used to ask him about Vietnam when he came to visit, but he would wake up that night screaming with the nightmares so we had to stop. I'll stick to cows!

I'm not sure what TIS is yet but I'm sure all will become clear.
Cheers guys!

This...

is TIS

P1030677.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

TIS means The Image Stimulator. Given to me by the SC team.
I often start a thread with "Show".
This picture I took in my home town, with a G1 plus kitlens 14-42.
Title should have been (in this case) Show Time.

Heather, thanks so much for stopping in for your "official" hello - it's nice to learn a bit about each other, I think. Cows, eh? So you're a large animal veterinarian - or do you work with all?

We here at SC come from a broad background and that includes photographically speaking, as well. The big common thread is that we have a thing for photographs - making our own pictures is pretty paramount, but so is looking at other people's images. Though there's lots of excitement over new "gear", for sure, we're all really about making our cameras distill what we see - for some it is nature, birds, wildlife, while others love landscapes, or urbanscapes...while still others are into streetshooting or portraits or macro... Some members have just learned what aperture means, while others are talking about lens specific attributes... So you see, we're a nice big happy mix.:D

I've always wanted to go to Scotland and hope to someday. My father's family started out there...and slowly hopscotched over here to the USA. I am really looking forward to seeing you photographs, Heather!:2thumbs:

I do a bit of everything, mostly companion animals at the moment (dogs and cats) but I really like the farm stuff best.

I did try to post a picture but it didn't work for me. I will endeavor to get something up soon.
Get yourself on a plane BBW, Its a beautiful country.

Thank you, Heather - I will plan to and can't wait!

Check out the updated FAQ section and in the stickies of the Site Information forum about posting photos...and please if you get stuck, post in the Help and Feedback forum. You can use the gallery, use a web hosting site, such as Flickr or use an attachment...but the first two are the better ways to go.

Hi Heather

Welcome to Serious Compacts! I'm another Nex5 owner (got it about a fortnight ago for my birthday) and I'm also from Scotland! I'm from Fife originally but now live in West Lothian. Not sure where my Nex is going to fit into my kit - I already have and enjoy my e-pl1, my e-p2, my lx5 and, when the battery charges, my X100!!! ;)

Looking forward to seeing your pictures and hope you will join in the weekly challenge.

Hi Heather and welcome I live in Merseyside but have spent a few years in Dundee as a child; I have a Sony Nex 5 with 18-55mm lens and think its the best thing since sliced bread!
Hope you'll enjoy SC and look forward to seeing yours pics.

Welcome Heather the Vet...from Canada and I also am a vet....WW2.....and I have been in Scotland..just love it...me fither was frae Aberdeen!

Gordon Bennett Bill - I never knew you were a vet? (or that your dad came from Aberdeen come to that!).

Welcome Heather - I think you managed to join just before me, so we're newbies together. I don't have any connection with Scotland at all (apart from working in Aberdeen quite often). however, I do have a companion animal; he's not that keen on vets, but sends you a welcome nonetheless!

_K542450.jpg

(added to which, I thought it would be entirely in character for my first post to be of a pet . . . . and to be taken with a non-qualifying camera (K5) :)

Back