Fuji Hello from the San Francisco Bay Area

Stephen S

Veteran
Name
Stephen Scharf
Hi Everyone,
I just found this forum today. My name is Stephen Scharf and I'm a photographer from the San Francisco Bay Area in Northern California. I live in the area we refer to as the East Bay. While I'm relatively new to Micro 4/3s, I've been photographing for many years, and learned my craft using an Olympus OM-1, which I shot with until getting into digital in 2002.

I'm a scientist by profession; my background is in human molecular genetics and molecular diagnostics. I work in the San Francisco Bay Area in California for one of the largest biotech companies in the world, and have extensive background in developing DNA based tests for diseases such as cystic fibrosis, Fragile X Syndrome, and Familial Hypercholesterolemia. The last five years or so I've been out of the lab, teaching and leading our scientiists in the VOC and Design for Six Sigma disciplines, to help them better and more effectively design biotech products that better meet our customer's needs with higher quality. I just recently rejoined an R&D group, the Human Identity Group, where we make DNA forensics and human identity products.

I don't do photography for a living, but have worked for many years at a professional level. For the better part of the last 10 years, I was one of the official track photographers for Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca in Monterey and Sonoma (nee Infineon) Raceway in the Sonoma Valley. I covered all their pro motorsports events, and my work was used for marketing, advertising, web and editorial content. I've been published in a number of the Bay Area newspapers, including the San Francisco Chronicle and several other Northern California papers.

My photographic interests are fairly wide-ranging from motorsports photojournalism to landscape, architecture, product and travel photography, and more recently, street photography.

For my pro motorsports work, I shoot with a full-on Canon pro system and all that big white glass, but for anything outside of the trackside motorsports work, I really love working with my Fuji X-Pro1 and Fuji lenses. I've found my X-Pro1 has completely revitalized and refreshed my interest in photography after shooting for a decade with Canon pro gear, and feeling a bit jaded. Getting and working with my X-Pro1 (and recently acquired X-A1) has been like a breath of fresh air!

I wll be posting my work and commenting here from time to time.

Cheers,
Stephen Scharf aka Stephen S

Back