Hello from the United Kingdom

smash

Regular
Hello my name is Ash, it's good to come across a site devoted to compact cameras where there is a wealth of experienced users to gain information from. I have to hold my hand up here that I am a terrible photographer, I know a fair bit about the cameras but when it comes to shooting I never seem to get the shots I desire, street photography is where my heart is and love looking at other people work.

I have used digital cameras since 1997 from my first a Fuji DX7 and have since owned over 70 cameras from the Point and Shoot to DSLR but find myself always coming back to the pocket full manual control camera. At the moment I am upgrading again and have bought a Sony NEX-5 with the zoom kit lens and have on order a Ricoh GRX P10 also have a Canon Ixus 100 for fun shots.

Out of all the past cameras I have had the best so far are, Ricoh GRD the controls were just in the right places and Jpegs were to die for, but sold it due to constant dust on sensor issues, pity. Then Sigma DP-1 the quality of them outdoor sunny day shots were amazing, but found I left this camera at home due to taking more pictures inside. The Ricoh GX200 was a great camera had it all except I never could get on with the picture quality, it has a texture to the photos which wasn't for me I really hope the GRX will be better in this case, only time will tell. The biggest disappointments for me were due to controls only and not picture quality, the Panasonic LX3 and Canon S90, really wanted to like them but found I couldn't adjust to them and basically kept them in a Auto mode, so a bit of a waste.

Future cameras include my two new purchases, Sony NEX-5 might pick up the 16mm pancake lens for a smaller walkabout work and also the 50mm Prime for the Ricoh GRX, but then again may just buy a Sigma DP-2 and have change left over hmmm decisions.

Great being here

Ash

Hello Ash. Welcome to SC. I think most of us rarely get the shots we desire and all aspire to come closer to what we envision without ever (or rarely) getting there. So you are in good company.

Feel free to start posting your pics for friendly comment here.

I do have one thought though. It usually takes me a while to get used to a new camera and until operation of the camera becomes second nature I often end up with less than I want visually just because I'm still having to think about the camera as well as the image.

70+ cameras in 13 years is an awful lot. Maybe part of the problem might be that you are not sticking with one camera long enough for it to become second nature to the point where you can concentrate on the images? Like I say, just a thought.

We have a growing band of NEX users here, including me, and we'll be happy to share anything we've learned.

Hello Ash, you've come to the right place ;) I'm currently using a Leica X1, Ricoh GXR 50mm and a NEX5 with various lenses. I look forward to seeing your pics. I think we all feel that our photos could be better so don't be afraid to show yours :)

Hi Ash

Where in the UK are you? I'm down south near Caterham, Surrey.

It's nice to find someone who has had more cameras than me!!:D

Hope you enjoy your time here.

Welcome Ash and thanks so much for taking the time to introduce yourself and give us your background - cameras and all. I think your going to find yourself at home here very quickly, if you haven't already.:friends:

Hi and welcome: good folks here, don't be afraid to post either.
Watch out for that Herman guy.... he talks alot ;)

Cheers,
Pete

Thanks for the welcomes very nice bunch of people here, I take onboard what you have commented about sticking with the camera instead of passing it on, that is something I must learn to do. Think mainly there has never been my ideal camera but hoping the GXR may be a step closer if only I could afford a prime Len for her, UK prices are very expensive :/

It does take a while sometimes to find one you really feel is "it". Once you find it, then I think it's best to avoid reading any reviews for at least a year.:D

You have to be aware that I've gone through "several" since my first foray into a real digital camera last January, I think it was.;)

Having now played with both my Ricoh GXR P10 and Sony Nex-5 I have come to the conclusion that I prefer the Ricoh so much more than the Sony, not that the Sony is bad but it was just that little too big to just grab as you left the house and walk about with. The Ricoh although still fairly hefty felt more comfortable in the hand to carry about, don't get me wrong I really do love the Sony with it's oodles of features but found the menus a bit long winded and the lens wasn't really to my taste. Also I realised the Sony and Ricoh covered basically the same ground too, but then.....

Luckily for me I was speaking to a camera enthusiast at work who was just after the same Sony I had so we came to a deal and I ended up with a lovely Ricoh GRD III that he had laying about and cash, so now I am the happy owner of a Ricoh GXR and Ricoh GRD III, now with the extra cash I was going to purchase one of the amazing Ricoh 28mm / 50mm Prime lenses but oh my word, my local dealer who normally can come up with great deals cannot for the life of him get me a decent deal, these lenses in the UK are £600 each at the cheapest. I am sorry Ricoh I love your cameras but that it just way way too much cash so now I am considering picking up either a Sigma DP1 or DP2 which will be half the cost of the Ricoh Lens.

My cameras as from now will be:

Ricoh GRD III - Indoor / Lowlight / Street
Ricoh GRX P10 - Wildlife / Long Trips Away
Sigma DP1 or 2 - Outdoor / Scenery

This should be it, although someone is trying to pry a Samsung EX1 into my hands as I speak.... Noooooo

Nice one!! Glad you found your camera. There never seems to be 'the' perfect camera but for me the Olympus E-PL2 is almost there and about as close as I'm going to get!

smash, I had to laugh when I just read this latest camera bulletin from you. Not that I was laughing at you - far from it! So many cameras (lenses) and only so much money with which to buy them.;) It is great that you were able to do a trade with your co-worker! I guess the decision about the Ricoh lenses is that they are modules and thus you're adding more than a lens to the camera... I have never tried a Ricoh but the more I read and see (as in seeing photographs), the more interesting I find them.

Do you think you would end up carrying several cameras at a time or would you be more apt to choose the camera of the day/event and proceed just with that one?

smash, I had to laugh when I just read this latest camera bulletin from you. Not that I was laughing at you - far from it! So many cameras (lenses) and only so much money with which to buy them.;) It is great that you were able to do a trade with your co-worker! I guess the decision about the Ricoh lenses is that they are modules and thus you're adding more than a lens to the camera... I have never tried a Ricoh but the more I read and see (as in seeing photographs), the more interesting I find them.

Do you think you would end up carrying several cameras at a time or would you be more apt to choose the camera of the day/event and proceed just with that one?
Ha yep I probably have had more cameras than taken pictures :/

If I take the car all the cameras come with me if I travel by train/walk then just the one, but if I know where I am going before hand then take which would suit that event. Just need to get out and use them.... never enough time is there.

Many people have multiple cameras. I'm probably one of the few that only has one "serious" digital camera, at least right now.

Keep us posted on your decisions as to what you end up adding to your camera stash - and post some photos, as well!

Back